Some details/pics of the MSI 7970 Lightning

Heard any rumors about the pricing of this card?

It will be MINIMUM $650. Because it is a lightning, it will at least be $675-$725. MSI's OC version is well over normal OC versions, it released late, and this design has been likely delayed a few times because they were finishing the TFIV cooler testing/design. I am getting one, no matter the price, I expect to pay minumum $675-$725. They will likely come out with a TFIV stock OC version for $650, release this for $700, and have their stock OC be $600, with the ref being $575 (already gone for a while from the egg). If you look at the pricing of the newegg stuff or have been following these for some time, the pricing is fairly obvious.

Since you all haven't seen this on [H] yet, here you go... I'll be watching this at least 5 more times today... Haha, cannot wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBwDvhnaUzA

hd7750oc-580x399.jpg

Aww look, its a baby TwinFrozer!

I've got to say that is adorable. Makes one want to put a window on an HTPC for it :D

It will be MINIMUM $650.
Since you all haven't seen this on [H] yet, here you go... I'll be watching this at least 5 more times today... Haha, cannot wait!

$650 is very reasonable for me :D

I am wondering how could someone post an unboxing video 5 days later than announced at CeBit - and they told, that they are not ready with the BIOS of the card.:rolleyes:

$650 is a lot of money for a video card, unless we know its top dig king of the hill for awhile. But with the GTX-680 due soon, the 7970 might not be top ? Then shouldn't this card sell for less ?

Are these cards thicker than a reference 7970?

Maybe a few mms, the frozr coolers are 2 slots, but with the GPU reactor and backplate it is a bit thicker. It will be a 2 slot card though.

$650 is a lot of money for a video card, unless we know its top dig king of the hill for awhile. But with the GTX-680 due soon, the 7970 might not be top ? Then shouldn't this card sell for less ?

The 680 will be SLIGHTLY better then the 7 series, which have a very low clock. Expect it to be a 7970 running at 1000 MHz, this is all based on the 10% better in bf3 than the 7970. It isn't much, but they will essentially split everything else. I think AMD will have better metro 2033 scores, while the Kepler stuff will have better BF3 scores, there is always one or two games that run better on either, so it is good to see it VERY close.

bf3-1920-bar_0.jpg

metro-1920-bar.jpg

Last edited:
It will be MINIMUM $650. Because it is a lightning, it will at least be $675-$725. MSI's OC version is well over normal OC versions, it released late, and this design has been likely delayed a few times because they were finishing the TFIV cooler testing/design. I am getting one, no matter the price, I expect to pay minumum $675-$725. They will likely come out with a TFIV stock OC version for $650, release this for $700, and have their stock OC be $600, with the ref being $575 (already gone for a while from the egg). If you look at the pricing of the newegg stuff or have been following these for some time, the pricing is fairly obvious.

Thanks so much for the info. This is definitely on my watch list. This and the 680 and the 6gb 7970's that are coming. I don't think the 680 is going to cut it for me at only 2gb unless they surprise me with 3gb (but all signs point to 2gb). Will have to wait and see. A 4gb 680 might be in the pipeline but not going to wait another month or two.

judging by the pictures it looks like the MSI emblem on the backplate is removable. i would hope it is otherwise it could be a problem for people trying to sandwich two of these together in adjacent slots.

It is removable and its more then just an emblem

That looks great. Single, solid piece for the RAM and VRM sink, which I assume makes contact with the main cooler. 4 mini-DP connectors. All good.

Take my money already!

seeing as the 7970s are supposed to be $525-$550 $620 is $70 over the stock design.

HD7970 is over priced to begin with but MSI went to the extremes with the Lightning, it is easily worth double the price of vanilla HD7970 so the price seems much more justified. There is no better designed HD7970.

Most reviews specs I've seen only mention that it has "2 DVI ports". Has anyone seen any details about whether one or both are DL capable and whether using DL on one disables any of the other ports?

Most reviews specs I've seen only mention that it has "2 DVI ports". Has anyone seen any details about whether one or both are DL capable and whether using DL on one disables any of the other ports?

Looking at the ports on the card it appears that only one is a Dual Link port. You can use all 6 ports at once to drive 1920x1200 panels as well. This info is coming from the MSI site.

Any word on a release date for this yet? I'm trying to decide between the MSI Lightning, Gigabyte Windforce, and Sapphire Dual-X. But I'd like to wait for some more reviews to come in before I spend this much money. I just don't want to wait forever :p

My Money is waiting. Whoever is here first gets it....msi lightnining or Kepler?!?!

Any word on a release date for this yet? I'm trying to decide between the MSI Lightning, Gigabyte Windforce, and Sapphire Dual-X. But I'd like to wait for some more reviews to come in before I spend this much money. I just don't want to wait forever :p

Gigabyte Windforce is too loud afaik.

Are any of those output ports capable of delivering sound as well? I see no HDMI port and I am hoping that I can still watch movies by a single cable connection from my vid card to my TV.
P.S. My 580 GTX has a HDMI port.

My Money is waiting. Whoever is here first gets it....msi lightnining or Kepler?!?!

This is on the top of my list, but also waiting to see how kepler pans out. Only going kepler though, if they come out with a 4gb version in a reasonable time period. I needed a card like 4 months ago, so I am really itching to pull the trigger.

Are any of those output ports capable of delivering sound as well? I see no HDMI port and I am hoping that I can still watch movies by a single cable connection from my vid card to my TV.
P.S. My 580 GTX has a HDMI port.

Well in the heaven review it says "the card can output 7.1 audio over HDMI" and considering it doesn't have an HDMI port but has a DVI to HDMI connector included with the card, my guess is it does have that ability, but not 100% sure.

Back