Some details/pics of the MSI 7970 Lightning

That's one amazing looking card. Makes me not want my reference anymore ha. No telling how much of a premium they'll charge though.

Yummy...

hd7970lightning5-580x367.jpg

hd7970lightning3-580x412-1.jpg

hd7970lightning2-580x435.jpg

a contender to the Asus DCU2 has arrived! when are they being released??

IMHO, the Lightning is far superior than the DC2(T) because of the quality of components and rework put into the design. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they take another 2 months to release to make sure they got it right and it lives up it's namesake.

Also since it's dual slot it would be much easier to throw 3+ card in CFX and keep a higher OC on all of them.
I personally hope it drops around the same time as Kepler, then it should be easier for me to choose a super 7970 or hopefully a slightly cheaper GTX K series!

a contender to the Asus DCU2 has arrived! when are they being released??
I kinda agree, but the Lightning is usually for extreme overclocking. I remember my 580 Lightning was much more oriented towards overclocking, but my brothers 580 DCII was more silent. His DCII did overclock nicely but I think my Lightning took the voltages better at higher OCs

The DCU2 is not even a contender to the reference cooler...... (VRM temp problems, design flaws etc etc....)

Nice card to bad this or the asus don't have hdmi on them. Just stick with my refrence. My card runs my gamming rig and my theater room. have to have hdmi. Really wanted one of these to.

Nice card to bad this or the asus don't have hdmi on them. Just stick with my refrence. My card runs my gamming rig and my theater room. have to have hdmi. Really wanted one of these to.

Asus DC2 has a DVI to HDMI adapter that carries sound (I haven't tested that it does, someone posted they test it in the other thread)

MSI Lightning you bought me. I'm in!
ASUS DCUII is the past. :cool:

Availability should be in stores by the end of March.

Looks like these will be replacing my matrix 5870's. Been waiting for them for a bit, no problem waiting a bit more.

I currently have two of the GTX 580 Lightning XE cards from Siryak's provided link in my FT02 and they work just fine. It's possible the older lightning series cards had some issues with the wicks used in the pipes, but I don't think that's an issue now.

MSI Lightning you bought me. I'm in!
ASUS DCUII is the past. :cool:

Availability should be in stores by the end of March.

End of march? Is this confirmed, have a link? I've been waiting for something that can power my 5 monitors from one card.

End of march? Is this confirmed, have a link? I've been waiting for something that can power my 5 monitors from one card.

it's in the link posted on the last page, it's a google translate but not sure how easily "end of march" can be mistranslated:

last paragraph:
Also, we can say that the video card will have all 3 GB RAM cooler will be called Twin Frozer IV and high frequencies will be used as us Series Lightning MSI (anonymous bird whispered to me that you have 1100MHz for GPU and 1500MHz for memory). Disponibilitatea in magazine ar trebui sa existe de la sfarsitul lunii martie. Availability should be in stores by the end of March.

Anyone know what that add-on does? Is it a fan that bows cool air? I have no idea.

The translation is spotty but it sounds like power regulation or filtration of some sort.

Sounds like a capaciter that filters the electricity or current that the GPU gets.

Wow this looks real nice. Hope the price isn't too out of this world.

I'm curious to see the final core clock/core voltage of this board -- my 7970 will do 1200 at 1.175V, but any further increase in voltage engages overcurrent protection on the board and causes a black screen crash under high GPU load. Maybe the BIOS will be flashable to reference 7970s so long as a custom fan profile is applied...

I'm curious to see the final core clock/core voltage of this board -- my 7970 will do 1200 at 1.175V, but any further increase in voltage engages overcurrent protection on the board and causes a black screen crash under high GPU load. Maybe the BIOS will be flashable to reference 7970s so long as a custom fan profile is applied...

Unfortunatly, ocp on reference 7970s is hard wired on the pcb, a bios flash wont unlock the voltages. And as this is a non reference pcb, i doubt the bios would work with a reference card. BUT, since they have said that their bios will raise ccc overclock limits and will raise powertune to "1.8x" that of the reference tdp (basically raising powertune max %), hopefully a handy coder (im looking at u racerx lol) will come along and disect the lightning's bios and find how it raises these limits, and can the create a program like racerx for the 69xx series but for the 79xx series.

Unfortunatly, ocp on reference 7970s is hard wired on the pcb, a bios flash wont unlock the voltages. And as this is a non reference pcb, i doubt the bios would work with a reference card. BUT, since they have said that their bios will raise ccc overclock limits and will raise powertune to "1.8x" that of the reference tdp (basically raising powertune max %), hopefully a handy coder (im looking at u racerx lol) will come along and disect the lightning's bios and find how it raises these limits, and can the create a program like racerx for the 69xx series but for the 79xx series.

Is OCP really hard-wired? I've heard that it is directly related to the ASIC value (which itself determines the VID), and that if a BIOS editor is released which allows us to change this value we could get around it. Of course, if this happens it will also likely result in a lot of sketchy behavior in the 7970 resale market :rolleyes:

That reactor thing directly attached to the gpu is bitching looking. I hope it is functional and does something amazing for the electrons pumping up the gpu. I have a lot of confidence in MSI that it does do something functional. I doubt it is just an LED ornament.

Asus DC2 has a DVI to HDMI adapter that carries sound (I haven't tested that it does, someone posted they test it in the other thread)

yeah it does. you have to use the top DVI port which has the pass through audio, same exact audio that would of gone through the HDMI port if it existed since the HDMI and dual link DVI port were link together. there is also a DP to HDMI port that exists if i remember correct which also has audio.

yup found it..

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DisplayP...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331214520&sr=1-2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This will be my next card, still running a single 5870 that powers my triple Eyefinity setup

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, 2xDVI + 4x mini-DP, all in 2 slots, then this will likely be my 7970. Though I'd ever so slightly prefer the same configuration from Sapphire or Asus. At least it's not a Diamond or XFX...

the lighting looks really nice, i wonder how far your can oc it on air.

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, 2xDVI + 4x mini-DP, all in 2 slots, then this will likely be my 7970. Though I'd ever so slightly prefer the same configuration from Sapphire or Asus. At least it's not a Diamond or XFX...

Asus does the same configuration with their DCu II cards, except they have 4 regular DP ports instead of mini-DP.

I'm gonna guess 1300-the near 1400mhz ballpark on these cards. If sapphire can have the 1335mhz cards with their coolers I'd imagine this is gonna be awesome.

Back