• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some CPU advice requested

Tuf

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 18, 2008
Messages
491
Going to redo my last post because I didn't format it well:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

I like to play current games, surf and do some spreadsheet work and a program called Trade Navigator that runs lots and lots of math formulas

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Trying to stay in 300-400 range


3) Where do you live?

Phx, AZ


4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU/MB


6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes but I don't do it intensively


7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

BenQ 1920x1200 as the primary. I plan on getting a 120hz screen in the near future.


8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now


9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

Going to have a single GTX470 for gaming and keep the existing 9800GTX for extra monitors and perhaps a PhysX card. SLI might be in the future.


10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, W7 Home Premium x64

I'm not in a hurry but am ready to buy now. I get the impression from reading the forums that Intel is still pretty much king of the CPU heap but I'll go with whatever the best bang:buck ratio. I usually keep a system for 2-3 years before major upgrades or rebuilds. I'll also probably start playing with water cooling with this build too.

Thanks for any advice.
 
Did not notice the omission.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.


Most of the components are new with a few bits recycled. I'll list both.

I currently have these two WD HDs in RAID 0. If better, I have this WD drive that I bought recently for my wife but I can swap stuff around. I know folks here seem to like the Samsung Spinpoint but I had already ordered the WD during a sale.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX

Case: NZXT Phantom

RAM: Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Optical: SAMSUNG SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L , I also have a couple of sata DVD burners I'll keep.

main GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 470

Current GPU is an XFX 9800gtx

 
A few recommendations:
$300 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU + Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard
$350 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo
$410 - Intel Core i7 860 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo
 
Back
Top