Some Citizens Are Concerned About New Robotic Patrols in NYC

What liberty does this give up? Giving up liberty is stuff like stop and frisk.

All this does is patrol an area and scans what is in public view. It's no different than another human doing it.

I can see both sides...

One thing to be aware of is that most of our current laws are not up with the times. So on one side the law says anything in public is by definition not private. And surveillance (in the past) took boots on the ground and lots of time. It was limited due to difficulty, and laws from 50 years or more ago reflect that. Now, the surveillance is cheap, easy, automated. The fact that it is recorded and stored for who know how long is not something the old laws had to consider. There are I believe fair and just uses for this technology, but some limitations should also be in place regarding retention and what can be done with the data. And I sure as hell wouldn't want it sold to 'just anyone' who might want to buy it... this turns into stalking.

Shit will have to get worse before it gets noticed enough for the laws and guild-lines to be updated, and things can get better again.

What was that I was talking about concerning the dark cyberpunk future?
Oh, right:

Imagine that ^ with the OP - welcome to 1984... in the 2020s. :borg:

On the contrary I get the point quite well and I think these are a good idea with some tweaking. There are many laws that people don't see as a big deal and blatantly ignore them. Littering, for example; I can't tell you how many times I've seen some fuckface throw a bottle, cig, or piece of plastic out the window of their car or even drop it out of their hands when walking around and it irritates me to no end. They think "it's just one piece of trash" but those pieces add up and it likely isn't the first time they've done it and I'm getting tired of random pieces of filth showing up in my yard and having to clean up after pigs. Perhaps a swift fine for dropping that piece of plastic might convince them to be more careful (if not, things will get expensive for them really quickly as the fines add up).

There is no expectation of privacy when you are out in public.

The problem is there a lot of laws out there from way back that shouldn't even exist today and then there are also laws out there that every state \ city have that people have no idea about. And I'm not talking about littering or some of the more obvious ones.

On the contrary I get the point quite well and I think these are a good idea with some tweaking. There are many laws that people don't see as a big deal and blatantly ignore them. Littering, for example; I can't tell you how many times I've seen some fuckface throw a bottle, cig, or piece of plastic out the window of their car or even drop it out of their hands when walking around and it irritates me to no end. They think "it's just one piece of trash" but those pieces add up and it likely isn't the first time they've done it and I'm getting tired of random pieces of filth showing up in my yard and having to clean up after pigs. Perhaps a swift fine for dropping that piece of plastic might convince them to be more careful (if not, things will get expensive for them really quickly as the fines add up).

There is no expectation of privacy when you are out in public.

Expectation of privacy or not is not the issue here. Zero tolerance policies do not work. I am not talking about laws that people dont see as a big deal and blatantly ignore. Everyone knows speeding is illegal and so is littering. Thats not the issue. But did you know that in at least one state its illegal to get drunk in a bar? In another its illegal to spit.

In Georgia its illegal to eat fried chicken with utensils. Can you imagine automated enforcement on shit like that? Try explaining at your next job interview why you have a record of eating chicken fingers...

Sound stupid? It is. There is a shit ton of laws that you dont know about. I just picked some of the stupid sounding ones because they are easier to find (and a good laugh) and things most people would never think about. There are a whole host of other ones that are serious and carry serious fines/jail time even.

Expectation of privacy or not is not the issue here. Zero tolerance policies do not work. I am not talking about laws that people dont see as a big deal and blatantly ignore. Everyone knows speeding is illegal and so is littering. Thats not the issue. But did you know that in at least one state its illegal to get drunk in a bar? In another its illegal to spit.

In Georgia its illegal to eat fried chicken with utensils. Can you imagine automated enforcement on shit like that? Try explaining at your next job interview why you have a record of eating chicken fingers...

Sound stupid? It is. There is a shit ton of laws that you dont know about. I just picked some of the stupid sounding ones because they are easier to find (and a good laugh) and things most people would never think about. There are a whole host of other ones that are serious and carry serious fines/jail time even.

Right, and you have to know which apply with local, state, and federal and the jurisdictions of them.

And what is the tolerance on things like this, I know littering is illegal. But what if I drop something and just am finishing up a task before picking it up, what is the timeframe of when it becomes littering? Laws are not black and white and cannot currently be handled by logic systems.

cue dr perceptron's "you need to relax more" jolt

Back