Some Citizens Are Concerned About New Robotic Patrols in NYC

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by cageymaru, Oct 17, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

New York City has begun experimenting with allowing robots to patrol areas. Rosie the robot has 5 cameras, thermal imaging, artificial intelligence, self-driving car technology, analytics and is directly connected to law enforcement. Her job is to observe people walking on the streets, record license plate and cellphone serial numbers, detect heat in objects, and of course patrol a certain neighborhood. Knightscope says that the robots so far have caught an accused sexual predator, robbery suspect and vandals in the act.

The robotic protectors can see what you're doing and even talk back to you, but the machines created by a New Yorker have prompted serious privacy concerns, CBS2's Clark Fouraker reported Tuesday. The company said it costs between $6 and $12 an hour for a new robot to hit the streets. They're currently deployed in 16 states to come alongside local security teams to help reduce crime.

2. Lenard

Lenard Limp Gawd

EXTERMINATE!!!

haste., dub77nj, DrezKill and 19 others like this.
  3. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

Does it have a built in connection to Skynet?

Flexion, F.E.A.R., Sufu and 2 others like this.
  4. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

Well duh. The largest percentage of visitors to New York come from England, and those things look just like a Dalek.

jfreund, Kinsaras, Bigshrimp and 10 others like this.
  5. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

No but seriously, I'm all in favor of this to be honest. If someone has a warrant for arrest, I think they should be able to do everything in their power such as using cameras / computers to match faces of people that need to be arrested.

Vildayyan2003 and cageymaru like this.
  6. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

That thing needs a toilet plunger on it.

dub77nj, Kinsaras, Neutrino and 5 others like this.
  7. JStamsek

JStamsek Douche Canoe

If you’re not doing anything wrong, no biggie. The problem these days is data being compromised on huge scales. And this is really penetrating.

8. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

If her model# isn't ED-209 that's a missed opportunity.

Flexion, Joust, Bounty and 5 others like this.
  9. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

What were the privacy concerns?

10. tikiman2012

tikiman2012 [H]ard|Gawd

11. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

why is it recording cell phone serial numbers for?

12. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

record license plate and cellphone serial numbers

I have an absolute and complete problem with this. I've never done anything that would put me on police "radar" for any reason, but this is still just an outright gross violation of privacy. What the actual FUCK are you people thinking supporting police state shit like this? This is the United States..Not the fucking USSR.

13. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

The license plates, if you are out in public, anyone can see that. I don't have any problem with those being recorded.

The cell phone serial number is different... why would they need that? Honestly, that's probably not a big deal, since I think they already track all calls made and from what tower anyway. If this robot can suck that out of the air, anyone can. The privacy issue isn't the robot or that it does that, it's that the transmission isn't encrypted, or some other protection for the data isn't already in place. That issue is the cell phone infrastructure and protocols. But all this really tells it, is that that device was closeby. Cells phones with GPS have been tracking you for years, how is this any different?

N4CR and msshammy like this.
  14. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

liberty for security, there is no going back.

Joust, dub77nj, mynamehere and 11 others like this.
  15. JStamsek

JStamsek Douche Canoe

Benjamin Franklin

16. Soulmetzger

Soulmetzger [H]ard|Gawd

17. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ere for the GangBang

Because this goes straight into the law enforcement database without needing a judge to order the wireless providers to hand over the info.

18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

So when it beats a person of color to death they can just claim it was the same software as the Uber auto drive?

19. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

As an employer, I would like access to what potential candidates or workers are doing after hours. They represent my business even when they are not at work, and I feel I have a right to know any establishments or activities they frequent that are not in line with our brand. I would be willing to pay for this, and since these nice robots are run by private companies, they've made it easy to access this crucial business need via subscription and api key.

do you really think we are at all far from this? do you think we aren't mere year(s) away from this happening to your google account?

20. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    TMCM likes this.
  21. TheCommander

TheCommander 2[H]4U

Eventually as technology improves they will be able to give people citations. There are a lot of laws out there and an AI will be merciless unlike a human police officer who can be lenient or even ignore minor infractions.

22. John721

John721 [H]ard|Gawd

If they're going to name it after the Jetsons robot, they need to make it sassy. Very sassy.

23. kromc5

kromc5 n00bie

Humanity is devided into two groups in order for the enlightenment to happen one needs to be removed. The world is being moved to a single decision I think the lone gunmen really summed it up in the 911 episode that aired before 911.

GoodBoy likes this.
  24. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

So anyone who is innocent but still in jail or dead or fending off lawyers or corporations acting above the law is just an acceptable casualty?

25. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

daleks4.gif

Attached Files:

Red Falcon, Kinsaras and heatlesssun like this.
  26. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

And now we want to put cameras, thermal imagers, and cellphone recorders everywhere....

Dudhunter, Nolan7689 and ELopes580 like this.
  27. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Actually now that I have watched the video of these things rolling around... they look more like R2 units.

"Thank you, magic trash can!" 5000 midichlorian points to anyone who can name that quote.

28. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

People can have a warrant for their arrest due to fucking parking tickets. So someone missed a court date and now they're doing time, lost their job, all their shit, no money...for what?

No, I'm not OK with this at all. I love all the spying and prying they get to do to us but we don't get to see fuck all of theirs.

29. beemanit

beemanit n00bie

Can't wait to see this one in the news:

Robot Army Hacked!!!

Cause: highly sophisticated attack against the controller server.
    Side Note: They forgot to change the default admin username and password.

DrezKill, britjh22, alxlwson and 2 others like this.
  30. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Here's a pick'em question. Would you rather a) robot with these features patrolling your neigbhorhood or b) police officers patrolling your neighborhood with body cameras that do the same exact things? And do note, the human would easily cost 10 times as much.

How I get 10x? Well $6/hr for the robot (we'll take the low end) x 24hrs x 365 = 52k/year, for a police officer, average salary in NYC is $90k/year, and considering most retire after only 20 years they are collecting pension + benefits for easily that amount of time afterwards (police union even says that a police officer will draw on average 2.2M in retirement), so lets just call it 200k/year average for each cop when you take into account all the retirement, health plans, etc (and that number is quite real, and doesn't even take into account overtime). Now great 200k/year for a cop, but a 24 hour day has 3- 8 hour shifts, so that's a total of $600k/year to have a SINGLE human patrolling the streets, double that if they work in pairs, and this takes the amount a cop makes right now, 10 years from now they most likely are going to cost more.

I mean since we're already at that point where you have "no expectation of privacy" on public streets, and apparently broadcasting your IMEI is also public domain, and apparently thermal vision does not violate privacy laws either, I mean we might as well go cheap with this.

31. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

32. Link

Link Gawd

DrezKill and Kinsaras like this.
  33. OnceOver

OnceOver n00bie

What if I run into it with my car by mistake? Would that be an assault of an officer like a K9? How much longer before these start handing out tickets... you know they have to pay for it somehow.

I'm starting to think Demolition Man was spot on.
    med_1406889510_image.jpg

tikiman2012 likes this.
  34. Hallucinator

Hallucinator Gawd

35. MV75

MV75 Gawd

These things have to have valuable scrap. Robo-cops kidnapped in 3 2 1.............. and they're gone.

Flexion and DrezKill like this.
  36. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Ignoring the concerns about a government robot vacuuming up information on citizens, who noted the cost? $6 to $12 dollars an hour to "patrol"? That's ludicrous. So, let's say it's out there for 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. $500 to $1,000???

Umm, where are they hiding the millions? Oh, and where and how does diblasio and his cronies get their payoffs?

37. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

And what exactly do you think cops are being paid? More than this trash can I’m betting. And if this trash can eliminates a few beat cops off of payroll the cost pays for itself.

38. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

I hope it happens.

Flexion likes this.
  39. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

Do I get to see the source code with documentation when I'm ticketed, so I can challenge the ticket? Fair is fair, right?

DrezKill and tikiman2012 like this.
  40. fdiaz78

fdiaz78 2[H]4U

I doubt this at least in our lifetime. Police officers have legal standing and robots do not so it would not be legal.

My city years ago tried this crap with red light cameras. They gave out auto citations for right on red without stopping citations and it wound up in court. To get around that they put a police officer at the control center of the cameras but it ended up being challenged so many times they scrapped the system entirely.

Ultimately I don’t see these robots doing more than monitoring and escalating to law enforcement later when they evolve. Defense attorneys need to watch these closely as these things will be used in court to convict people.

lcpiper likes this.