Solving Problems that Don't Need to be Solved

Even if you can write it off, that helps precisely zero with the costs and expenses NOW. Just like on the other building I'm finishing out space in. I have to rework one emergency exit on the far side of the building to make it accessible. That means I need to install a 5' x 5' landing and a ramp which is going to cost me another 8 grand. (Billy Mays voice) But wait there's more!! Turns out since it is so close to the property lines back there I now also must pay a tree service $2300 to remove a very lovely tree that provides a huge amount of shade on the building. So on top of that I will also have to eat higher energy costs since I have to cut down the massive tree and of course the big flat side of a metal building will be so much more attractive for the neighbors than the nice mature trees.

Yes - I can write a good bit of it off. Later. Am I sitting on tens of thousands of extra money that it is comfortable to just tie up for a "hopeful" tax break sometime next year?

Let me take 75% of your savings and say, maybe you can write some of it off on your taxes next year.

Sounds like they are already bankrupt or in a wrong line of business then, improving handicap access would not kill their business. If you serve public and have facilities with public access then you have to accommodate for them. Otherwise it would be same things here as it was in Russia where nobody gave a rat's ass about disabled or elderly people. Even now there's little infrastructure or accommodation for them. Of course it has be reasonable but there needs to be something for them, it is our duty as civilized society to do that.

Have you ever run a business?

Now from what I've read the plates are to be purchased, but they are not mandatory, one would have to extend the wiring in ones car to the front and rear, which currently is not done by any automaker, and yes I live in CA, would I buy 2 of these "plates"?

NO, and I'm a registered Democrat.

I'm sure they can write it off, these things also last a very long time so it's likely a one time expense. I'm sure usage varies from place to place, some things are just necessary. Probably by the same rule these places can say their automated handicap door doesn't get used my either so why put one in. If you are in business providing service to public, you have to make it universally accessible. IMHO, companies that don't are just completely careless and their people in charge never been on the handicap end of things. I don't see this as such a big burden on business as it does have legitimate use and can make their guest stay better and safer.

As many have tried to tell you, the proof is in the pudding. What the law says and what ends up getting enforced and then fined matters not on what the spirit of the law but the letter of the law. And oh boy do the do gooder lawyers and politicians love to twist what words mean. Twenty years ago my father ran a small business in a "small business park" in CA. They wanted to take what limited parking there already was and force each small unit to give up its 1 or 2 dedicated spots right in front of the "store" for handicap parking. As in, it would be illegal for my father or one of his employees to park in the one spot they had in front of their store/unit/business. It made and still makes, no sense what so ever. Any good the ADA has done has been over shadowed by the ambulance chasers who claim discrimination for any perceived slight violation of the law. The biggest upside of the mandated concrete ramps on the little sidewalks they had there was it was easier to move goods around on hand trucks.

The ADA types don't help things when even after years of propaganda and heavy tickets/fines they still put out ad council radio/tv ads chastising people about not parking in handicap spots and how tough the less fortunate have it.

I'm sure they can write it off, these things also last a very long time so it's likely a one time expense. I'm sure usage varies from place to place, some things are just necessary. Probably by the same rule these places can say their automated handicap door doesn't get used my either so why put one in. If you are in business providing service to public, you have to make it universally accessible. IMHO, companies that don't are just completely careless and their people in charge never been on the handicap end of things. I don't see this as such a big burden on business as it does have legitimate use and can make their guest stay better and safer.

I could also buy a corvette for the .1% chance some evil gangster dudes are chasing me. But that wouldn't make me smart. If addressing 1% of the population results in an overall net negative (even with write off which isn't as big as you think) then it's a STUPID business move. And the official data is < 1x/year/hotel.

Because that would be raising taxes which isn't politically viable. Maybe this is a way to sneak it in the backdoor? hehe I said sneak it in the backdoor.

HAHAHAHAH have you been to california? I can't remember the last time a tax increase/bond measure was voted for and failed.... People here are so god damn stupid. Bitch about the high taxes, then see some 'help the children/homeless/fix our shitty spending' tax increase and they vote yes.....

You guys are acting like they are going to force people to use these plates.
READ THE DAMN ARTICLE!
"Motorists who choose to buy the plate can register their vehicles electronically and eliminate the need to physically stick tags on their plates each year. They also may be able to display personal messages — if the DMV decides to allow that."
See the word "CHOOSE" ... god damn you people are getting in an uproar over nothing...

if you don't want it, you don't have to get it.

Why do you kids always bringing politics into situations that are not political. This is not a tax, this is for people who want to be on the cutting edge of technology.

Correct, it's voluntary now during the trial. But suddenly they see new revenue coming in from ads, or once they figure out how to use it to automate writing tickets for people speeding/failing to stop at stop signs etc. Or the company owner sees how much money the trial made him, and pushes his buddy in the government to push legislation requiring this (with a kickback im sure). Then suddenly it becomes mandatory....

Taxifornia is hemorrhaging money...... Look at what they just did to the gas tax/registration. My reg went from 230$ to 500$.... Gas is here is over 4$, when the average accross the US is 2.5$..... Fuck this god damn state.

As many have tried to tell you, the proof is in the pudding. What the law says and what ends up getting enforced and then fined matters not on what the spirit of the law but the letter of the law. And oh boy do the do gooder lawyers and politicians love to twist what words mean. Twenty years ago my father ran a small business in a "small business park" in CA. They wanted to take what limited parking there already was and force each small unit to give up its 1 or 2 dedicated spots right in front of the "store" for handicap parking. As in, it would be illegal for my father or one of his employees to park in the one spot they had in front of their store/unit/business. It made and still makes, no sense what so ever. Any good the ADA has done has been over shadowed by the ambulance chasers who claim discrimination for any perceived slight violation of the law. The biggest upside of the mandated concrete ramps on the little sidewalks they had there was it was easier to move goods around on hand trucks.

The ADA types don't help things when even after years of propaganda and heavy tickets/fines they still put out ad council radio/tv ads chastising people about not parking in handicap spots and how tough the less fortunate have it.

You are entitled to your own opinion and thanks for sharing this. However by your logic, businesses should only do best what's for them regardless of being accessible. If your father wasn't disabled, he could walk a bit instead of parking in the wrong like he's used to. While I do somewhat agree it is okay and should be up to a business, but as we know it rarely ends there and often paves way to other forms of discrimination. I know here in DC area handicap parking is poorly enforced and many folks that are not disabled borrow the card with disabled tags or hang tag disregarding the fact is that these follow a person and not their car. I hope you don't become disabled as you will likely rethink this opinion. Like I said, in a civilized society and a 1st world country, it is our burden to help those that are less fortunate (otherwise it sadly sounds like what Hitler wanted done in his reich). I don't mean we should become a welfare state but we have to provide reasonable accommodations to everyone. This is my opinion so let's not keep arguing.

Ah, government.

An institution hell-bent on finding solutions to problems that don't exist, then defining those problems with huge dollar signs attached.

If your father wasn't disabled, he could walk a bit instead of parking in the wrong like he's used to.

Ok, lets get this straight, he wasn't "in the wrong like he's used to". The spot wasn't marked for handicapped, they wanted to do it for the apparently huge numbers of handicapped who couldn't walk 10 feet themselves in a business park. It made no logical sense other than feel goodism nonsense.

Back