Sold Fraudulent Amazon Gift Card - Balance Withdrawn By Amazon

I called paypal and they told me to go to my credit card company. I am not sure why they would say that if they are just going to charge me for it anyway

Happened to me a long time ago. Don't know if it's changed since then.

But it's as everyone says. You file a chargeback and your account will go to negative in Paypal. Your account will be frozen and if you don't pay - they'll send it to collections. The scammer gets off scott-free. Hate how it works, but that's what happens.

Happened to me a long time ago. Don't know if it's changed since then.

But it's as everyone says. You file a chargeback and your account will go to negative in Paypal. Your account will be frozen and if you don't pay - they'll send it to collections. The scammer gets off scott-free. Hate how it works, but that's what happens.

I thought it was the other way around? A few years ago some thief filed a chargeback on me months after a deal and they(PayPal) negatived my account and came after me to get the money back. I lost my item and had to repay them. The scammer got my PSP and seemingly his money back.

I thought it was the other way around? A few years ago some thief filed a chargeback on me months after a deal and they(PayPal) negatived my account and came after me to get the money back. I lost my item and had to repay them. The scammer got my PSP and seemingly his money back.

Never seen that happen myself but the scenario he described is super common with paypal. Buyer gets scammed, does chargeback and ends up in collections with paypal.

Yeah allen, I remember posting in your sale threads a month or 2 back to just take out an Amex Blue Cash preferred card which gives you 6% back at Grocery stores. Combine that with other perks like fuel points, and I get effectively 10% back on any gift card I want any day of the week with zero risk. I recommend that you look into this and stop buying gift cards online.

I do feel for you, I would never have seen this problem coming. But I was burned before on buying gift cards online so I won't do it anymore. There is always a safer way.

To update my personal experience here, Chase gave me my money, then Paypal suspended my account. I called them and they apologized and unlocked it. I'll update if they decide to try and charge me for it.

To update my personal experience here, Chase gave me my money, then Paypal suspended my account. I called them and they apologized and unlocked it. I'll update if they decide to try and charge me for it.

Wow... that's sorta good news at least. Don't be surprised if they do go after collections on you (I'm sure you won't be), but it's pretty shocking that they actually apologized to you and opened your account back up.

Venturing into the realm of off-topic: My guess is they got the notes on the dispute on your account from Chase and noted that Chase ruled in your favor (you were sold fraudulent goods - virtual or not, and your card issuer protected you on it), so they have absolutely no way of fighting the dispute should they attempt to arbitrate with Chase. Hopefully that's the end of it.

I would also like to mention that irul77 sold me $90 worth of fraudulent gift cards as well which were just retracted by Amazon today. He's currently active on the forum and has not yet been banned, but obviously he should be.

allen5055 I got your message and will pass it on to the appropriate people.

Now, without trying to sound callous, this is a perfect example of why we tell people not to trade through PM.......you entered into 2 separate deals with 2 unknown members , neither of which had any references , or the ability to even post in our F/S section..and big surprise, both of them are scammers...they may even be the same person.....

I feel bad for what happened to you, but in the future you need to be more careful.....

allen5055 I got your message and will pass it on to the appropriate people.

Now, without trying to sound callous, this is a perfect example of why we tell people not to trade through PM.......you entered into 2 separate deals with 2 unknown members , neither of which had any references , or the ability to even post in our F/S section..and big surprise, both of them are scammers...they may even be the same person.....

I feel bad for what happened to you, but in the future you need to be more careful.....

Yeah, no doubt, it was stupid on my part and I got what I deserved. It was all due to my greed. However, I never would have traded with them had the Amazon rep not specifically told me that there was no way that the gift cards could be retracted from me.

That being said, I guess I'm done with Amazon gift cards. If they can be taken from you months after you buy them they're completely unsafe.

That being said, I guess I'm done with Amazon gift cards. If they can be taken from you months after you buy them they're completely unsafe.

Sure they're safe, just buy them from Amazon directly as god intended, rather than some slob advertising one at a discount. Anything else but direct from Amazon is asking for trouble.

Sure they're safe, just buy them from Amazon directly as god intended, rather than some slob advertising one at a discount. Anything else but direct from Amazon is asking for trouble.

Obviously some Amazon gift cards are safe. However, buying from other users is ultimately unsafe. Especially if you buy a lot of them and you're not actually sure which cards went bad 6 months down the road.

Yeah, im sorry, it happens. Not sure what else to tell you. Just have to deal with it.

He was an obvious scammer pming everyone and was promptly banned. He had fake heatware and was a new user, why on earth you decided this was a good purchase is beyond me, but I guess this is how people learn.

Yeah, im sorry, it happens. Not sure what else to tell you. Just have to deal with it.

He was an obvious scammer pming everyone and was promptly banned. He had fake heatware and was a new user, why on earth you decided this was a good purchase is beyond me, but I guess this is how people learn.

As I said, the Amazon rep told me that if the cards cleared I was fine. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. However, obviously that wasn't true. And yes, this is the learning process.

should have recorded that call for future use. because paypal WILL want that money back regardless of what their CSR's tell you. alot of people you see not using paypal now days is because of this sole reason, they got scammed, paypal wouldnt help so chargeback was done, now paypal wants their money back so they close account and bring you to collections.

And if you keep your records & they take you to collections you can dispute it with the 3 reporting agency's as well. Paypal should be going after the scammer, but they dont because they know they wont get anywhere so instead they will stick it to the only person they may get the funds back from.

Back