• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Software to automatically transcribe interviews?

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 24, 2001
Messages
9,041
I have a few interviews that exceed an hour and I would like to have software that can transcribe them into a simple text document. Obviously for time and efficiency reasons, listening (probably more than once), to multiple hours of interviews is inefficient.

Any suggestions? I could swear that there has to be something in the Google suite that does this... but uncertain. Free is obviously preferred. Web based would be nice (just for convenience), but not necessary.

I primarily work in OSX, so I'd prefer that over Windows, but can VM Windows if necessary.
 
Free and web-based: http://otranscribe.com/ I wouldn't expect anything close to acceptable results unless it's a clear recording and you're not talking over each other.

Transcription from a mediocre audio source is still generally done by humans.
 
Free and web-based: http://otranscribe.com/ I wouldn't expect anything close to acceptable results unless it's a clear recording and you're not talking over each other.

Transcription from a mediocre audio source is still generally done by humans.


I agree. But if the software can underline or otherwise notify when it's unsure what the word(s) were, I can fill in the rest. Just typing thousands of words would take forever (and I'm an excellent and fast typist if I do say so myself).

I used an inexpensive voice recorder in relatively quiet environments. I would have preferred shotgun mics or lapel mics and a decent audio recorder (even an H4N), but I didn't have that available. Just used what I could to get the job done. If I can get 80-90%, I'd be super happy to fill in the other tedious blanks.

Thanks for the help!
 
There used to be a program called dragon naturally speaking. don't know if it is still around.
 
There used to be a program called dragon naturally speaking. don't know if it is still around.

I think Dragon only works when you are talking into a mic straight into the program, I don't think you can upload audio files after the fact, though its been years since I've used it.

Transcription from a mediocre audio source is still generally done by humans.

Agreed. I worked for a newspaper for a while and it was the least favored job that was generally pushed onto the interns, which was cruel as the writers often made lousy recordings on their cellphones and expected perfect transcripts.

To my knowledge there isn't any useful transcription software that exists because it has mainly to do with "Ambiguity caused by homophones and word boundaries."

For example, a computer might hear a sentence in different ways, based on the speech patterns for the person on the audio file:
  • the sail of a boat
  • the sale of a boat
  • It’s not easy to wreck a nice beach.
  • It’s not easy to recognize speech.
  • It’s not easy to wreck an ice beach.
So unfortunately its a sh*t job but you're gonna have to do it yourself.
 
Back
Top