• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Software KVM for Windows 7 & Linux desktops

Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
588
I'd like to know if there is a solution for using one keyboard & mouse, dual monitors & dual PC's (one running Win 7 other Linux flavor). I'd like to use some software that allows for a keyboard shorcut like "ctrl (left) + alt (left) + ctrl (right) + alt (right)" or even some mouse input.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without extra hardware but I don't see that as being possible b/c the monitors have to have input from both machines.

So is this possible and what are the solutions for this?
 
If I understand your question correctly, you only have a monitor connected to your Windows PC, but you want to control both machines from you one set of keyboard/mouse/monitor. Well the only options I can think of:

1. UltraVNC. Setup the server on the Linux machine and then setup the client on the Windows box.
2. A KVM switch. I know you said that you did not want to use extra hardware, but I picked up a 4 port KVM from Goodwill for a couple bucks last year, maybe you can find a similar deal at a local to you store/ebay.
 
Back
Top