Software emulating Nvidia or ATI graphics card

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
The new version of Autodesk's Mudbox requires an Nvidia Quadro or AMD/ATI FirePro series graphics card. I'd like to run it on an Acer Aspire S7 laptop, but it only has Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. Is there software that can emulate the required graphics card that would allow Mudbox to run?

No. And emulating a GPU on a general purpose CPU would be so slow there isn't interest in doing it.

I don't think emulate is the right word, what you want to do is spoof the gpu. Not sure if you can though.

Im not sure how it searches for what video card you have but you may be abel to fool it with a registry change. I work with a lot of Autodesk products but have not had to do this.

You'll need to look for a tool which allows you to change the vendor ID string. I know of no such tool off-hand, but I'm sure they exist.

This may let you run Mudbox without it complaining about the incompatibility, but there's no guarantee it'll actually work properly.

Check out Riva Tuner, i believe this used to be able to spoof the card.. The real question is where does it do the requirement check.. is it a simple vendor ID check or is a Driver check? if its a driver check not sure if you'll be able to spoof that..

Maybe look into 3danalyser.
I got it so I could run metro 2033 on intel 4000 and it worked great for that.

I haven't tried the recent version of Mudbox, but previously they only recommended a "pro" GPU rather than actually requiring it. If they're actually trying to force it now, that's utterly obnoxious. I though Autodesk had already hit the bottom; guess they can still go lower.

SolidWorks has a similar restriction but only for a specific feature (RealView), and the program is stupid enough that you can fool it simply by renaming the card in the driver INF. You should be able to find that particular procedure pretty easily. However, typically when these developers restrict features to workstation cards they use somewhat stronger methods.

Back