Socket A

glazer1972

Weaksauce
Anyone else still using any socket A processors? I don't use my old desktop much but it still has a Barton 2500 Socket A. :eek:

I'm not using one but I have a bunch of spare parts sitting around for an old socket a system just waiting for a case to throw it in. I've been holding on to the parts throughout the years so it may never happen lol. I think I have a 1900+ and a 2500+ that overclocked to 2.6GHz on watercooling.

Yeah I still got a couple XP's and a duron system. Mostly they live to be an emergency backup in case of catastrophic server failure.

I have a 1900 running for the kids puter. Basic tasks. Just retired my Barton 2800 that ran for years. Keeping it as a backup though. Best computer I've ever had. Thinking bout putting one together so they can learn with old parts.

somewhere around here i have an epox 8k3a+ with a 2400+ t-bred b in it... it had i think 7 bad caps and still ran stable the only reason it isnt running still is the bad caps i got paranoid about them and used that as an excuse to upgrade. To a s939 3200+ in an epox 9ndai+ board. It seems i came into some odd luck and i have 3 3200+ processors now one in a box the others are in boards...

Not in use, but I've got a K7 board with a 2500+, ram and agp card sitting on my desk. Even a HDD, ODD, and PSU ...

...but no ide cable. Quite frustrating.

I still have two loose socket A processors. A 2100 and a 2900 too. I still have a Zalman Cooler, a SI-97A Cooler (The Socket A Clip is broke on one side of the Screwdriver slot though) and a few cheap Coolers for them too. I thought about trying to sell some of this stuff on Ebay once but after I looked at how little it went for I firgured it wasn't worth the trouble. I also bought an adapter to use the SI-97A on newer AMD Processors but now those too are old school. :rolleyes:

We have 2 to 4 10 + year old athlon systems here as desktops for non demanding users. I believe both have 1 GB of memory or more.

i still have my socket A athlon xp 1700+ and motherboard sitting my closet. haven't turned it on in years though.

I've got an XP 2500+M chip in a NF7-S 2.0 watercooled at 2.7ghz(13.5x200). Good old original BlackIce Xtreme and DD Maze3.

A couple of systems in the lab.

One's using a 1 GHz Duron, and running Windows Server, functioning as our FTP server. It's awfully nice being able to transfer at 10 megabytes / second.

The other one (an Athlon XP 2400+) controls one of the NMR Spectrometers, running Topspin 1.3. I'll be retiring this system soon, though, since we're getting a new Intel dual core-based system running Topspin 3.0 as an upgrade for our 600 MHz spectrometer system (in addition to getting the new 850 MHz spectrometer too).

Then again, I may just move this over to the 500 MHz system, since we're still using the old SGI O2 workstation, since being able to use Topspin of any kind is a Godsend compared to any version of XWINNMR.

Just in the process of setting mine back up - its only purpose will be to run games that do not like my newer hardware.

Palakino xp 2100 on an A7V333

I wish I had never given away my Barton core 2500 XP and MSI K7N2. She would OC to 2.4ghz on air!

Last edited:
I still have several socket A boards and chips laying around. None in a working system but I do have enough parts to put a decent one together. I've got an Athlon XP 1900+, 2500+, and 3000+.

got a palamino running xp for the cnc machine

but then I'm typing this on a Pentium III

I love it, had the tornado on it for a while...I have actually considered adapting a SSD onto this system.

I have everything to build another one except for another good motherboard.

yeah good socket A boards are hard to find. i found a PCChips board at fry's years ago for 10 bucks. it doesn't have any overclocking options but its a solid board for only paying 10 bucks.

i have 3 systems, running on socket a still.

duron 600mhz spitfire@ 750mhz currently serving as a htpc.

Thunderbird 1.2ghz@ 1.4ghz currently serving as a home server.

Lastly a Athlon Xp 1800+ @ 1.8ghz it sits in my guest bedroom. Doesn't get used unless someone uses that room.

I've got 3 XPs at home sitting in the garage. Backup in case something dies, but that's unlikely. Also have a dual S940 server in the closet, way overkill for a file server, costs too much in electric to run. Even the S754 in the garage is barely worth the electric to turn it on.

I have two Socket A rigs still in operation, both dual-processor rigs.

The first is a Tyan Tiger MPX with dual AthlonMP 2400+ processors, 2GB PC2100, and an X800XT-PE.
The second is a Tyan Tiger MP with dual AthlonMP 2400+, 2GB PC2100, and an old Voodoo3.

The computers are surprisingly responsive given their age, probably due to the dual processors.

yeah good socket A boards are hard to find. i found a PCChips board at fry's years ago for 10 bucks. it doesn't have any overclocking options but its a solid board for only paying 10 bucks.

I've been keeping an eye out for another board but haven't ran into one yet.

I've got 3 XPs at home sitting in the garage. Backup in case something dies, but that's unlikely. Also have a dual S940 server in the closet, way overkill for a file server, costs too much in electric to run. Even the S754 in the garage is barely worth the electric to turn it on.

Which s754 board do you have? I'm looking for a decent one if someone's willing to part with theirs...

Which s754 board do you have? I'm looking for a decent one if someone's willing to part with theirs...

i still have my DFI LP UT NF3 250Gb with my athlon 64 3200+ clawhammer installed on it.. great board but finicky as hell when it comes to overclocking and annoying that it has absolutely no support for ATI GPU's.

Just stripped out the Athlon XP2600+ and everything that went with it from my nephews system, to put a new AMD 955 BE in the case, it was originally mine anyway, just needs a new CMOS battery, graphics card (ATi X800 fan bearing is shot to bits), and a case, I will turn it into a media storage system, GA-7NNXP board is great for what can be hooked up to it, by 2004, I had three DVD drives, and almost a Terra Byte of HDD (four drives) space on there.

I have an older computer running a AMD Athlon 3200+, which I'm trying to find a different motherboard so I can overclock it hahaha

I got rid of my "good" Socket A stuff years ago. I had acquired two Socket A systems a year or two ago from a buddy (A7V133 + Duron 750, KT7A-RAID + 1GHz TBird). Ended up deciding I would never use them and threw them out before we moved down here to Florida a month or two ago.

I also had a Shuttle XPC for a long time that I had bought back in '05 when I worked at Best Buy. Back in '08 or so, a guy at my work brought his computer into work to demolish with a few hammers and such when he had bought a new one. Asked if I could look it over real quick before he did, and it happened to have a Barton 3000+ in it (2.1GHz, 400FSB version). Ran that underclocked in the XPC at 1.4GHz for a year or so with WHS. It served its purpose for the time.

Check my sig.

I do need to upgrade. I currently only play LotRO (@ 1920x1200 most settings max'd) but will need more for Tera and future MMOrpgs.

How many of you guy;s remember the first Asus mobo for AMD cpu;s. It came in a white box, no markings whatsoever. They were told by somebody that they should not make motherboards for AMD CPU;s. An Asus rep told me that. I asked who somebody was, I'd rather not say...said he! In some way's they were good day's. I made a ton scripting POS programs using Paradox 3.5. Also inventory/POS stuff/

i still have a abit kt7-raid motherboard.

so if someone wants it lol , i suppose i could hook it and up and make sure it still works. Surely was a nice board back in the day.

Back