socket 939

jdl

Weaksauce
why are old socket 939's so expensive? I still have an old system athlon 64 4400+ on a dfi lanparty mb. Checking out ebay this combo is selling for more then a newer cpu/mb combo... ??

It's just supply and demand. Since S939 chips and motherboards aren't being made anymore, the price is a bit high due to the demand from people who would rather spend a bit more to get a replacement part instead of building a new machine.

It's just supply and demand. Since S939 chips and motherboards aren't being made anymore, the price is a bit high due to the demand from people who would rather spend a bit more to get a replacement part instead of building a new machine.

It also explains why DDR1 memory that's used with those platforms is relatively expensive compared to either DDR2 or DDR3 memory... ;)

wow really. I still have a dfi ultra D with cpu and ram sitting around for the last 4 years that i kept on wanting to sell but never got around to it...haha. maybe i can get enough money for a i920 rig =)

To me this is ridiculous what some pay for this stuff. I may have to look at my inventory of retired 939 systems..

I bought the rig below by selling off the parts in my old Opteron 180/DDR500/DFI/7900GTX/939 rig before xmas.

Opterons go for big amounts. I guess a lot of servers out there that admins want to upgrade. Plus they were the best of the 939 CPU crop.

Also remember that 939 was the switchover from single to dual core so a lot of old 939 rigs out there looking for some dual core upgrade love.

If you have them, sell them.

939 dual cores are still pretty fast. I have a few machines with them. They don't have trouble gaming on them either unless your trying to push major frame rates.

My old machine has a 3500+ and 2GB DDR I RAM and runs great. Unfortunately my Radeon 9800XT crapped out and I had to give up gaming on it.

I just got the parts for my i7 build and have been contemplating if I should sell my Opteron 165 setup or keep it around as a spare for whatever. Considering how cheap AMD chips are these days I figure I can probably sell it off and almost have enough for a budget AMD build that will be faster while using less power.

I should put my Thunderbird CPU on Ebay and see if I can fetch a pretty penny :D

I just saw a DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra Rev. A socket A go for 100.00 shipped, wonder what my Rev B would be worth, might be able to get a SSD out of it

My old machine has a 3500+ and 2GB DDR I RAM and runs great. Unfortunately my Radeon 9800XT crapped out and I had to give up gaming on it.

Go to www.retekdirect.com and score yourself a replacement. They sell older equipment for extremely reasonable prices.
Also, check out www.starmicro.net for available dual core S939 cpu's. Some of their stuff is ridiculously high priced but there are a few dual core S939 cpu's that are reasonable.

My old 4600x2 S939 still whoops much ass....my weak link is NForce4sli compatibility with Win7 (aka LOL u just lost SLI rooflez)...so I need to upgrade my videocard as having just one 7800GT isn't cutting it anymore.

This is why S939 x2s are so expensive...they're worth it.

I still have my 4600 x2 running also.
It can play MW2 decently...as long as those lame hosts can keep up, it seems to be fine.
4GB ram and a 4850 also help.

Two weeks ago I put up an older gaming system on craigslist, was selling it to pay for a radeon 5850 I want. Nobody bit on it, so I sold it to a coworker for really cheap - $200, it was a s939 x2 3800, 2 GB RAM, 7900GS, gigabyte K8N Pro SLI board, Ultra X-connect 500w modular. Really good deal for my coworker. Anyways, two days after that someone emailed me and offered me $250 for just the CPU. Oh well...........

Socket 939 was and is the best socket evar!, and AMD not supporting it anymore is proof that the socket was too good and powerful for AMD.

Ah 939 good times. I loved my opty170, but I can't say I miss it at all. The difference in games by just going to a PII720 is huge, and I got to say byebye to nforce drivers.

I still game on the computer in my sig with games like BC2. Slowly waiting for deals on each new component as I make my new i7 build.

I agree, especially now with Thuban...who honestly needs six cores for home usage?

Me! Me! I'll take all the cores I can get. I like to virtualize so I don't have to have multiple boxes sitting around.

I'm still gaming on my socket 939 (computer in sig). I am saving up for a new computer now but this one has served me well for the last 5 years.

I had my 939 rig running for years until the motherboard died. I had it shelved for over a year, but I just couldn't give up on my Opteron 165 and 4G of DDR. So I bought another 939 mobo off eBay for $25 and now it's on it's second life as a Win2008R2 Server.

Well as per my sig, most of my family rigs are 939. They seem to be fine with them and for their needs it is ok. Probably for my son, he will need more in the future as he starts to game more seriously. But for now they seem to meet everyone's needs.

people are idiots

this is the only logical answer I could come up with myself....

Search and demand curve..

There's no logical for anyone to buy an outdated processor, unless that's the only option you have left.

If you have one, you may find it difficult to find a buyer, but when you do, he will probably be willing to go the extra buck for it. Like I did!

I sold an AMD FX-60 a few months back for 400 us dollars ..That's 300€! And I bought it for 125€ ..around 170USD
It's too bad that my case doesn't do proper cooling or else I would keep it...
Still, best deal I ever made :)

So there you go..

Back