Socket 939 W/ddr2 slots

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone has found a socket 939 board with both DDR and DDR2 on it. I have a MSI 915P-Combo Intel S775 board that has both. But I wonder why I can't find one for S939. If it doesn't exist, why would Intel provide that?

The reason for my dilema is this, I currently have an Intel P4 3.0 531 processor with the above mentioned board. It has both DDR and DDR2 on it. I currently have 2 gigs of DDR2 PC533 memory. I recently received an AMD X2 4200 s939 processor from a friend who just went to C2D. I have been told that it is faster than my P4 3.0 and would like to move to that. But I only have 1gig of PC3200 and can't spread the bread for memory. If I move to the X2 4200 and go down to 1 gig of pc3200, will I loose performance down grading my memory.

Another problem is the fact that I spent my life saving on an 8800GTS card. (Happy Birthday,X-Mas,and every other holiday). And from what I am reading, my current CPU is a major bottleneck. And from the speed on the AMD, it would be too. I also would like to move to Vista soon.

So with this, is there a motherboard that can fill the MSI boards shoes? Or just save for a year and Buy a 2 gig kit of DDR pc3200? I currently don't have any issues at the moment.

Only AM2 supports DDR2.

From what i figure, you will have only one system that can run the 8800GTS, if you want that to be the x2 4200 then why not sell/trade a gig of you DDR-533? Or you could just keep an eye out for DDR400 in the FS/FT or hot deals forums.

If i where you and run only one system, why not sell both cpu's and mobo and get a E4300/E6300 setup up and running with the DDR2.

The problem is that AMD's memory controller is on the CPU. s939 CPU's are set up for DDR1 memory, and AM2 CPU's are set up for DDR2 memory. On Intel CPU's the memory controller is on the motherboard as part of the northbridge, so depending on the northbridge used, you can get DDR1/DDR2 support. Via's PT880 is a good example. It's used on the ASRock Dual board that has Core 2 support.

I'd sell the processor and your current motherboard/CPU and that 1GB of DDR1 memory you have. Get either a C2D E6300 and a decent motherboard or even the X2 3600+ Brisbane combo at newegg ($150 or so for both board and CPU).

Or sell the DDR2 memory, the 1GB of DDR1 memory, and then buy a 2x1GB kit of DDR1 memory ($140 or so at newegg...I just looked today).

Back