Socket 939 forecast?

Tutelary said:
Making a blanket statement about uli because you are having some problem is crap.

You mean like "BTW: XP64 has never been worth installing"?

I have it installed on all of my desktops and it is great. I notice there is a decent increase in responsiveness with XP x64, and multitasking is improved.
 
Donnie27 said:
Yup you're right. I know many folks' that fall in the normal user cat. Many are using 1 to 2GHz, mostly Intel Dells and say, "I'm not ungrading until this one dies and you can't fix it!" Just as I told you the other day. I had someone ask me, "Can you install a DVD burner in my computer". The person was using a P3 450 and just today one asked me if I'd install one in an AthlonK7 (Classic) with a FIC mobo:)

I usually turn those PCs people give me into servers. ;)

Having clusters of small, inexpensive or donated servers rules!
 
I used to keep a couple old PCs running for various things... but with dual core and SMP, I can run everything I would have put on those machines in a VM, and have it running faster.

I still keep one extra working PC... an XPm on a DFI board... It's fun to tinker with.
 
Josh_B said:
I usually turn those PCs people give me into servers. ;)

Having clusters of small, inexpensive or donated servers rules!

Recycle! Take them to the nearest Girls and Boys Club, Rec Center and etc..
 
uhhh... if you are frustrated with an old PC, trust me, anyone you give it to will be too... so be careful who you give it to. Pick a place where you can get a tax write off.

I sometimes sell old machines to family and friends... but I make sure they are not going to come back to me constantly for support.

I also like to sell and trade here on the board... I love trading for stuff I never got a chance to play with back when it was new.
 
Yashu said:
uhhh... if you are frustrated with an old PC, trust me, anyone you give it to will be too... so be careful who you give it to. Pick a place where you can get a tax write off.

I sometimes sell old machines to family and friends... but I make sure they are not going to come back to me constantly for support.

I also like to sell and trade here on the board... I love trading for stuff I never got a chance to play with back when it was new.

Trust me, those kids will thank you for an old P3 450 or etc...
 
So the answer to the OP, I think, is no - no more 939s will be released...right?

So is there any risk that if I don't buy a 939 X2 4400 or 4800 right now, I may not be able to find one?
 
Trust me, those kids will thank you for an old P3 450 or etc...

Yeah something like that is worth it... but I am talking about a PC that cannot even run XP... win98 is EOL, so it's a tough time for those old PCs... and linux probably wouldn't be the best alternitive for someone that is just learning computers and may be offline.
 
newls1 said:
Well not that long, AM3 is due in about 9 months (I think)

AM3 chips are socket compattible with AM2 announced by AMD. AM2 is not like the 754. It will support 2 generations.
 
Serge84 said:
AM3 chips are socket compattible with AM2 announced by AMD. AM2 is not like the 754. It will support 2 generations.
they actually announced this? show me :p
 
ya S939 will go down the road like the older ones, AM2 isn't really good compared to conroe.
 
Daveid said:
ya S939 will go down the road like the older ones, AM2 isn't really good compared to conroe.

this is a damn shame and very painful to admit for amd fan boy like me. but for now intel is the king of the hill.
mayby amd can climb back to the race with fortcoming AM2 65ns i'm hoping quad-core cpu
 
i'm still running 939's a asus deluxe nf4 and a dfi nf4. the socket am2 is sort of struggling because if i have to buy ddr2-- i think i'll get a core 2 instead. amd would be wacked if they stopped producing high-powered 939's because thats a big part of their previous sales and there should be a large number of people that will want to upgrade to a 4800+ 939.

but it would be just like amd to shoot itself in the foot and try to cram socket am2 down everybodys throat and cause more folks to "jump-ship-to core 2'--lol
 
Swiss Miss said:
they actually announced this? show me :p

Go Google it up yourself or choose not to believe it.

AM3 CPU's will work on socket AM2 boards and run with DDR-2 RAM. The AM3 CPU's have both the DDR-2 and DDR-3 memory controller.

You will not be able to put a AM2 CPU in a AM3 Socket, the AM2 CPU's do not have a DDR-3 controller and DDR-2 RAM will not fit in a DDR-3 dimm socket.

This is what was said about AM3 when it was announced.
 
Daveid said:
ya S939 will go down the road like the older ones, AM2 isn't really good compared to conroe.
you mean K8 isn't good compared to conroe. comparing a socket to a chip is silly
banana.gif
 
Met-AL said:
Go Google it up yourself or choose not to believe it.

AM3 CPU's will work on socket AM2 boards and run with DDR-2 RAM. The AM3 CPU's have both the DDR-2 and DDR-3 memory controller.

You will not be able to put a AM2 CPU in a AM3 Socket, the AM2 CPU's do not have a DDR-3 controller and DDR-2 RAM will not fit in a DDR-3 dimm socket.

This is what was said about AM3 when it was announced.
understandable, i agree with the logic. i'm not saying that AM3 won't work in AM2 mobos, i just want to see where AMD has announced this, not rumors based on the above logic.. ;)

though after a bit of searching, this turns up.. :p
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3169
 
Back
Top