Socket 939 forecast?

Donnie27 said:
There's no crap to speak of. Crap is when someone lies or BS's about something that's not real, like fiction or etc...
this thread is about how long s939 will last. you posted how much better conroe is, which EVERYONE knows by now. how is this not threadcrapping? not to mention it went to shit immediately following? ;)
 
Yashu said:
not exactly...

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=425117

To me conroe is more bark then bite... and this is why I like my s939 just that much more... I don't run 32bit Os anyhow... so the % increase on 64bit apps is like icing on the cake.

I wish AMD didn't kill it off as fast as they have. a 3ghz s939 chip would be, well, awsome.

You linked me to a forum. Here's some real tests to chew on. Unlike one other poster here, please read the review?

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1

On page #3 we see.
TR said:
OS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (WorldBench only)

SiSoft Sandra 2007.5.10.98 64-bit
CPU-Z 1.33
Compiled binary of C Linpack port from Ace's Hardware
POV-Ray for Windows 3.6.1 64-bit
SMPOV 4.6
Cinebench 9.5 64-bit Edition
3ds max 8.0
LAME MT 3.97a 64-bit
Windows Media Encoder 9 x64 Edition
Sphinx 3.3
picCOLOR 4.0 build 561 64-bit
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 1.1
Battlefield 2 1.22
Quake 4 1.2 with trq4demo5
FEAR 1.03
Unreal Tournament 2004 v3369 and 3369 64-bit Edition with trdemo1
3DMark05 v120
WorldBench 5.0

Conclusions
After years of wandering in the wilderness, Intel has recaptured the desktop CPU performance title in dramatic fashion. Both the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and the Core 2 Duo E6700 easily outperform the Athlon 64 FX-62 across a range of applications—and the E6600 is right in the hunt, as well. Not only that, but the Core 2 processors showed no real weaknesses in our performance tests. (I would say that Core looks like a more balanced architecture than Netburst, but at this stage of the game, Netburst just seems slow almost across the board.) No matter what you're hoping to do with your PC, a Core 2 processor should be a very solid choice.


Doesn't matter if FX-62 gains 3.5% and Conroe gains 2% when Conroe is already far ahead of FX-62 and even when FX-62 is overclocked, it still gets whacked!

Once 64bit Apps and OS's are truely optimized for Conroe this spanking gets worse. Yes I have an A8N-SLI and thought about waiting for a cheap Dual Core. But you guys seem to have counting probems. One FX-62 cost as much as an E6600 + Motherboard + 2GB of RAM last time I checked. Then the cheaper X2 get killed to the point of being not interesting and that's where Sc-939 not so temping. Low end E6300 and E6400 means Sc-939 is stale.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
this thread is about how long s939 will last. you posted how much better conroe is, which EVERYONE knows by now. how is this not threadcrapping? not to mention it went to shit immediately following? ;)

I didn't bring up Intel, someone else did! I was just sitting there reading about Sc-939 and bam!

Quote:
I'll eat my underwear on streaming webcam if that comes out for socket 939..

and then rush out and buy one and say "to hell" with my Conroe plans.



What does this have to do with Conroe? Simple fact that even at 3GHz, the reason for the link, it'd still get its ass handed to it.

If the above post had said;I'll eat my underwear on streaming webcam if that comes out for socket 939..and then rush out and buy one ...

Then I'm not posting to him=P With all of the posts on this side of the forum saying similar, I DON'T post in them.
 
hopeless! :p

you do have a point, but next time don't take it as an invitation to point out conroe's virtues in a s939 thread, it's obvious he was saying that in jest ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
hopeless! :p

you do have a point, but next time don't take it as an invitation to point out conroe's virtues in a s939 thread, it's obvious he was saying that in jest ;)

Yea, I know you're right, my bad!
 
Donnie27 said:
What does this have to do with Conroe? Simple fact that even at 3GHz, the reason for the link, it'd still get its ass handed to it.
Of course it would....but if the price is right then it might be a worthy upgrade from my 4400+ without haveing to buy $400 worth of mobo and ram to go along with it. ;)

but I seriously doubt that such a thing will be released for s939..
 
Yashu said:
it is broken until it has 64bit support... Every other chipset maker has full 64bit support... ULI is nothing but a toy right now... They have no excuse... if they can't even roll out working x64 drivers, I do not trust them with supporting vista in a timely manor. I would never ever recomend you buy a nice new conroe processor and stick it in a board that may not work on your OS.

I own the board... and after I installed it and had to fresh install windows (it's SATA controller corrupted my MFT beyond repair), and then to find out that there was no x64 AGP support... I had to install all the old stuff again. I'd sell it but it's not worth enough for the effort... so I kept it incase I build a 32bit secondary machine.

if I ever upgrade my CPU to one of the 1mb cache per core chips I will have a CPU for the asrock.

I take it these are not the droids you're looking for?
http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA
 
joemama said:
Of course it would....but if the price is right then it might be a worthy upgrade from my 4400+ without haveing to buy $400 worth of mobo and ram to go along with it. ;)

but I seriously doubt that such a thing will be released for s939..

Almost nothing is free. You want better performance you pay for it.
 
Donnie27 said:
Almost nothing is free. You want better performance you pay for it.
unless you buy a sempron and overclock it. doesn't touch a conroe, but for $75, damn :D
 
Yashu said:
not exactly...

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=425117

To me conroe is more bark then bite... and this is why I like my s939 just that much more... I don't run 32bit Os anyhow... so the % increase on 64bit apps is like icing on the cake.

Um, no.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-64bit_4.html

I only saw one benchmark where the AMD64 won in the 64-bit environment, and that was Sciencemark. You didn't post a link to any numbers at all, you link was merely a forum where people incorrectly voiced the opinion that conroe sucks at executing 64-bit code. Here are some numbers, and they tell a different story.

The article does make the conclusion that AMD64 has a higher gain when going from 32-bit code to 64-bit code. To me, however, this would be irrelevant because Conroe's 64-bit execution is in most cases faster than AMD's 64-bit execution. I don't switch between x86 and x64 for fun, I run x64 all day. I'll notice the performance, not the difference.

The problem is, I shouldn't be making this point in this thread. This was a thread about new Socket 939 CPUs. Why is it an argument about Conroe?
 
hehe because some intel guy brought up the token conroe argument...

The fact that AMD64 bests conroe in "sciencemark" is telling of intel's lackluster 64bit implimentation... and also puts the large integrator's push for AMD based server boxen, in spite of conroe and woodcrest, in perspective.

For what it's worth, I think the FX60 should come down a little in price... it would make a great upgrade for many still on s939, but at $600+ it is hard to put that kind of money into a dying socket. I would have stayed on s754 if there was ever a dual core for that socket... there was no technical reason against one. Unlike the shared bus of intel, with AMD's crossbar switch, the single channel vs dual channel argument of s754 doesn't apply to dual core any more then single core. (having owned a 1mb s754 system clocked at 2.75ghz, I can say that single channel was just fine... and that system easily out performed my current s939 system in single threaded apps)

a dual core sempron would have been killer, at any rate.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
unless you buy a sempron and overclock it. doesn't touch a conroe, but for $75, damn :D

I see better value in overclocking a $200 E6600 to 3+GHz. Even at 2.6GHz it's faster than anything AMD has to offer. I don't say that to hurt anyone's feelings.
 
Donnie27 said:
I see better value in overclocking a $200 E6600 to 3+GHz. Even at 2.6GHz it's faster than anything AMD has to offer. I don't say that to hurt anyone's feelings.
is it 166% faster than what a sempron that can do 2.9ghz? cause that's how much more expensive it is, not to mention the expensive conroe boards. ;)
 
Yashu said:
hehe because some intel guy brought up the token conroe argument...

The fact that AMD64 bests conroe in "sciencemark" is telling of intel's lackluster 64bit implimentation... and also puts the large integrator's push for AMD based server boxen, in spite of conroe and woodcrest, in perspective.

For what it's worth, I think the FX60 should come down a little in price... it would make a great upgrade for many still on s939, but at $600+ it is hard to put that kind of money into a dying socket. I would have stayed on s754 if there was ever a dual core for that socket... there was no technical reason against one. Unlike the shared bus of intel, with AMD's crossbar switch, the single channel vs dual channel argument of s754 doesn't apply to dual core any more then single core. (having owned a 1mb s754 system clocked at 2.75ghz, I can say that single channel was just fine... and that system easily out performed my current s939 system in single threaded apps)

a dual core sempron would have been killer, at any rate.

What part of Sciencemark do you use every day?

Unlike the shared bus of intel Weren't we talking about Sc-939 Desktops?
 
KenAF said:
Don't know if you were aware, but there are motherboards for Core 2 Duo that support DDR400 (and faster) memory and AGP. These cost as little as $40.

So are these same DDR400 and faster solutions also available for PCIe. I don't use AGP. When searching, I found the ASrock http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm here, but it doesn't support multi-GPU for either SLI or CrossFire. It also doens't have the same quality onboard sound I currently have with my MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI. So I'd need to add a sound card to my purchase as well.

In any case, it's all irrelevant to me now, I had already upgraded, no need to do this again. When I really "need to upgrade" in order to function acceptably in applications down the road a bit, I'll look at a new system that is based on the current top performer at that time. Could be the next gen of Core 2 or the next gen of AMD. No one knows what the results are really going to be like in 18 months. All we can do is speculate on leaked powerpoint slides of potential architecure, etc, but until they are benched by HardOCP and others we just won't know will we?
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
is it 166% faster than what a sempron that can do 2.9ghz? cause that's how much more expensive it is, not to mention the expensive conroe boards. ;)

Try close to 150% better ;) So not that far off. Even if it's a 166% more expensive and I've not seen 2.9GHz consistant reached with any AMD processor, it still gets pimp slapped.

The only thing good about Semprons is it keeps AMD scapp count low.
 
Yashu said:
hehe because some intel guy brought up the token conroe argument...

The fact that AMD64 bests conroe in "sciencemark" is telling of intel's lackluster 64bit implimentation... and also puts the large integrator's push for AMD based server boxen, in spite of conroe and woodcrest, in perspective.

For what it's worth, I think the FX60 should come down a little in price... it would make a great upgrade for many still on s939, but at $600+ it is hard to put that kind of money into a dying socket. I would have stayed on s754 if there was ever a dual core for that socket... there was no technical reason against one. Unlike the shared bus of intel, with AMD's crossbar switch, the single channel vs dual channel argument of s754 doesn't apply to dual core any more then single core. (having owned a 1mb s754 system clocked at 2.75ghz, I can say that single channel was just fine... and that system easily out performed my current s939 system in single threaded apps)

a dual core sempron would have been killer, at any rate.
Heh - yeah, still there and doing just fine (see sig). I almost went s939 this past Jan but decided to stay on s754. I really don't need a whole lot of additional power to do what I do so the whole notion of the s939/AM2/Conroe debate means absolutely nothing to me atm. You want a Conroe - fine - go buy one. Have fun. Walk around displaying your big e-p***s all you want. Woop-de-doo. The original drift of this thread is s939; what is to become of it and when.
That being said, I was tempted to go with an Opty 144 or 146. Kind of wish I had done so because now I'd be able to grab a cheap dual core. Ah well - missed opportunity. Its not the first time and won't be the last. I don't have any heartburn over it. I'll just wait to see what AMD and Intel are bringing to the table in a year or so. Skt 754 still rules the roost for me. All you Intel fans can just deal with it.
 
Donnie27 said:
Try close to 150% better ;)
no way is an oc'ed conroe more than 2x faster than an oc'ed sempron in real world performance

and if you haven't seen 2.9ghz reached consistantly with any amd cpu, how come the last 3 i've owned all do 2.9ghz or higher stable, water cooling?
and it appears that AM2 X2's are hitting 3ghz more and more frequently over at XS, one that did 3ghz with 1.4v.. ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
no way is an oc'ed conroe more than 2x faster than an oc'ed sempron in real world performance

and if you haven't seen 2.9ghz reached consistantly with any amd cpu, how come the last 3 i've owned all do 2.9ghz or higher stable, water cooling?
and it appears that AM2 X2's are hitting 3ghz more and more frequently over at XS, one that did 3ghz with 1.4v.. ;)


":)"
 
it'll happen eventually

Eclipse, are you saying dual core will come to s754? I was under the impression that sempron was on am2 and s1 now and not staying on s754.

Also, mr !!!!!! donnie,

Weren't we talking about Sc-939 Desktops?

desktop chips use hypertransport too... Remember, Athlon64 is a server arch first, and a desktop arch second...

However, as great as conroe is as a desktop chip, it is not designed as a server arch. Intel still pours money into itanium, and as along as they continue to do that, you are not going to see a true AMD64 killer... because intel is not going to compete with their own product. It's not that intel can't do it... they obviously can build a fast processor, but its still a fast processor on the same old desktop architecture concept they have been using for over a decade.

k8 was kicking ass on 3 fronts... intel p4 desktop, xeon workstation, and itanium2 server... I think this is why we like it so much still... it was revolutionary, and it still holds it's own for most applications.

I will probably hold onto my s939 for a long time to come. A new motherboard will give me PCIe... I think the only thing that is making me want to switch to a new socket is RAM... I need 4gb or more for what I am doing... I might look into building an opteron box... s940 is a good deal now too.
 
Yashu said:
Eclipse, are you saying dual core will come to s754? I was under the impression that sempron was on am2 and s1 now and not staying on s754.

Also, mr !!!!!! donnie,

desktop chips use hypertransport too... Remember, Athlon64 is a server arch first, and a desktop arch second...

However, as great as conroe is as a desktop chip, it is not designed as a server arch. Intel still pours money into itanium, and as along as they continue to do that, you are not going to see a true AMD64 killer... because intel is not going to compete with their own product. It's not that intel can't do it... they obviously can build a fast processor, but its still a fast processor on the same old desktop architecture concept they have been using for over a decade.

k8 was kicking ass on 3 fronts... intel p4 desktop, xeon workstation, and itanium2 server... I think this is why we like it so much still... it was revolutionary, and it still holds it's own for most applications.

I will probably hold onto my s939 for a long time to come. A new motherboard will give me PCIe... I think the only thing that is making me want to switch to a new socket is RAM... I need 4gb or more for what I am doing... I might look into building an opteron box... s940 is a good deal now too.

Prove it?

Hypertransport does little for the Desktop. That's been shown many times over. Conroe doesn't need Hypertransport, an Integrated memory controller and or anything else AMD has. Might be neat to try it out though. Nope, don't need to call you names to make that point;) Intel's and AMD's memory controllers are shared=P Intel no longer uses a "shared" FSB, stop listening to Duby.

P4 didn't suffer any real hurt until X2 launched last year. The very year AMD kicked Intel's booty, according to many forum members here, Intel raked in record profits. That's what made me say folks on this side of the forum live in an alternate reality.

Although K8 and later A64 were better overall, that didn't quite leave the P4 helpless until X2 launched and slaughtered it. AMD's high assed prices was like them shooting themselves in the foot.

Even Kyle showed Hyperthreading worked. Put Sc-754 to work, meaning stress it and it shows its age. Lightly used, sure it's OK. I like my Conroe E6600 and yes, to honest with you, I like my 3500+ as well. I just like the Conroe better. I also like it better than either of my bud's FX-60 or the Other Opty 165 at 2.8GHz against Conroe at stock 2.4GHz LOL!

I owned a Sc-939, saw Yonah and quickly saw NO reason to hang onto 939 over Conroe. Yes Eclipse that has something to do with Sc-939. Single core Sempron get's slaughtered by any of the dual cores. They crust full cached FX-57 like nothing and overclock rings around, them Semprons and the rest.

Yes, I love to see the benchmark results. I just linked to 3GHz vs 3GHz and even that was pretty with a 3GHz AMD DC core. You think a cut down cache single core has a chance? Now it might be a 165% faster but hey? If we used that argument, that means AMD should pull anything costing more than E6600 from the market, right?
 
ok some of that is FUD... of the benches I have seen... conroe may have 25% at the most on AMD clock for clock on the desktop.

On the server side, things are more balanced... woodcrest gets some and AMD gets some... especially with scaling. I would rather have my quad opteron box then a woodcrest system... I feel like there is less of a bottleneck running four threads full tilt.

Hyperthreading was pretty cool in it's day... I have a 3.0ghz HT system at my office, and it is ok for general workstation stuff... when I am rendering something quick I can still do other things.

Put Sc-754 to work, meaning stress it and it shows its age. Litely used, sure it's OK. I like my Conroe E6600 and yes, to honest with you, I like my 3500+ as well. I just like the Conroe better.

ok here you are comparing apples to oranges... s754 is single core with no hyperthreading... of course the conroe is going to pwn the hell out of that. My point was that there was nothing as far as technical limitation that prevented dual core on s754...

The only reason I went to s939 was for dual core... the chance at a cheap SMP box. It sucks that they are phasing out the socket... but DDR production is slowing, and DDR2 production is in full swing... AMD had to move to DDR2 even without a new arch.

I like conroe... I even liked p4... I would love to have a single core p4 HT box to kick around... This thread is all about s939, and AMD was king during the entire run of s939.

In the end... Without AMD we would still be on single core netburst, we would still be 32bit only, and prices would be much higher.
 
Yashu said:
Eclipse, are you saying dual core will come to s754? I was under the impression that sempron was on am2 and s1 now and not staying on s754.
no, i'm saying that dual core semprons will happen eventually. never mentioned anything abtou s754 though ;)

now to read these huge posts :D
 
Yashu said:
desktop chips use hypertransport too... Remember, Athlon64 is a server arch first, and a desktop arch second...
quite true! the ht link is quite an elegant hack for the server market, making performance scaling with more processors quite impressive

However, as great as conroe is as a desktop chip, it is not designed as a server arch.
yes and no. conroe KILLS in single/dual threaded apps. when it comes to scaling up past 4 cpus? forget it. it needs something like amd's ht link to provide better communication between the cores, then amd would have a serious problem to contend with.

Donnie27 said:
Hypertransport does little for the Desktop. That's been shown many times over. Conroe doesn't need Hypertransport, an Integrated memory controller and or anything else AMD has. Might be neat to try it out though. Nope, don't need to call you names to make that point;) Intel's and AMD's memory controller is shared=P Intel no longer uses a "shared" FSB, stop listening to Duby.
explain what you mean by shared, i'm not sure i follow :p
and ht link does do a bit, but the majority of the gains amd got from it was the by-product of offloading the memory bandwidth to a connection within the cpu die

P4 didn't suffer any real hurt until X2 launched last year. The very year AMD kicked Intel's booty, according to many forum member here, Intel raked in record profits. That's what made me say folks on this side of the forum live in an aternate reality.
quite true, intel is good at making profit.. though i don't see where yashu brought this up, nor anybody else in this thread (though i admit i'm not a throrough reader) discarding as irrelevant

Although K8 and later A64 were better overall, that didn't quite leave the P4 helpless until X2 launched and slaughtered it. AMD's high assed price was like them shooting themselves in the foot.
yeah, i too disliked the pricing until recently, but tbh, they had the performance crown and could get away with the price premium, just like intel did for many years before K8 :D


Single core Sempron get's slaghtered by any of the dual cores. They crust full cached FX-57 like nothing and overclock rings around, them Semprons and the rest.

Yes, I love to see the benchmark results. I just linked to 3GHz vs 3GHz and even that was pretty with a 3GHz AMD DC core. You think a cut down cache single core has a chance?
in the majority of games that are still single threaded and very gpu dependant, yes. in the majority of tasks that are limited by user response time, yes. while i know we are an enthusiast crowd who wants every bit of perfomance we can get, the "hands on feel" between a low end and high end rig (assuming both have proper amounts of ram) for the tasks that most people do every day, the difference is hard-pressed to notice. better off spending more to get a faster HD tbh :p
 
hehe I just spent alot getting faster disc space, and now I am CPU limited again (video editing)... I really want to throw in a 4400+ or even an FX60.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
quite true! the ht link is quite an elegant hack for the server market, making performance scaling with more processors quite impressive


yes and no. conroe KILLS in single/dual threaded apps. when it comes to scaling up past 4 cpus? forget it. it needs something like amd's ht link to provide better communication between the cores, then amd would have a serious problem to contend with.


explain what you mean by shared, i'm not sure i follow :p
and ht link does do a bit, but the majority of the gains amd got from it was the by-product of offloading the memory bandwidth to a connection within the cpu die


quite true, intel is good at making profit.. though i don't see where yashu brought this up, nor anybody else in this thread (though i admit i'm not a throrough reader) discarding as irrelevant


yeah, i too disliked the pricing until recently, but tbh, they had the performance crown and could get away with the price premium, just like intel did for many years before K8 :D



in the majority of games that are still single threaded and very gpu dependant, yes. in the majority of tasks that are limited by user response time, yes. while i know we are an enthusiast crowd who wants every bit of perfomance we can get, the "hands on feel" between a low end and high end rig (assuming both have proper amounts of ram) for the tasks that most people do every day, the difference is hard-pressed to notice. better off spending more to get a faster HD tbh :p

Conroe would kill it in Single threaded apps, games and etc....=P

Everything shares the memory controller be it on the North Bridge or on the Die.

Sorry he did! ""k8 was kicking ass on 3 fronts... intel p4 desktop, xeon workstation, and itanium2 server... I think this is why we like it so much still... it was revolutionary, and it still holds it's own for most applications."" Intel never lost nothing, be it performance, market share more than .1 or .2 at a time, until X2 launched. Even then, the next two Quarters saw Intel make even more money. You know good and well, rightly or wrongly, nothing kicked ass like Centrino as Desktops were playing second fiddle to the notebooks and V//V type PCs. It wasn't until Q1-06 that Intel started slipping and most of that was folks waiting on Yonah. Then Intel took back market share before Conroe went on sale-Q2-06.

As I said, the bright spot for AMD is the low numbers of Conroe/Allendale shipping and overpriced craptacular motherboards with Hot-ass North Bridges:(

Just because they could doesn't mean it's OK. I bought AMD processors when Intel was the more expensive and bought Intel when AMD traded places with them. Give Intel some frackin' credit for NOT being their normal Greedy assed self or acting like AMD did last year with the X2. According to almost 90% of AMD's followers, prior to that, they said; "AMD wouldn't Rape us like Intel would have". I was one of the ones saying, "If AMD had something worth a damned, they'd charge accordingly=P".

Video Impressions, Creative Wave Studio, and Roxio & Nero all show easy difference in an E6600 and The FX-57 and 55. They single threaded. So Sempron doesn't stand a chance. I saw Dothan tested against these long before Conroe was. Hell, Dothan was running on a crippled motherboard and only at 2.13 IIRC.
 
Donnie27 said:
Conroe would kill it in Single threaded apps, games and etc....=P
i know that, i never said it didn't. i'm just wondering by how much. ;)

and i was talking normal people, normal apps. the people who just browse the internets and watch the occasional video, print stuff, play solitare.. yeah.
 
Yashu said:
ok some of that is FUD... of the benches I have seen... conroe may have 25% at the most on AMD clock for clock on the desktop.

I said on the Desktop since we were talking about Sc-939.

Yashu said:
On the server side, things are more balanced... woodcrest gets some and AMD gets some... especially with scaling. I would rather have my quad opteron box then a woodcrest system... I feel like there is less of a bottleneck running four threads full tilt.

Sigh*

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q2/woodcrest/index.x?pg=1

Also benchmarks at 2CPU, Anandtech, and etc.. saying the same thing. Looks almost like Conroe vs X2 since neither AMD or Intel has anything different up to 4 core or Two Dual Cores. Again though, back to Sc-939 wher only Dual Core is the dish for

Yashu said:
Hyperthreading was pretty cool in it's day... I have a 3.0ghz HT system at my office, and it is ok for general workstation stuff... when I am rendering something quick I can still do other things.

ok here you are comparing apples to oranges... s754 is single core with no hyperthreading... of course the conroe is going to pwn the hell out of that. My point was that there was nothing as far as technical limitation that prevented dual core on s754...

That was a reply to a the 165% more expensive question. Is the E6300 worth 165% the price of a $75 Sempron? I say hell yes it is. First, 754 doesn't have enough pins for a 128bit Dual Channel memory controller. Even after you replaced it with a Sc-939, you only have lines for a Single channel of RAM. If you corrected that, you have a new board LOL! Sc-939 doesn't operate in a VIOD!

Yashu said:
The only reason I went to s939 was for dual core... the chance at a cheap SMP box. It sucks that they are phasing out the socket... but DDR production is slowing, and DDR2 production is in full swing... AMD had to move to DDR2 even without a new arch.

I know and Eclipse can tell you I agree! I too with Sc-939 with Dual Core in mind. But Dothan and Yonah changed my mind. Conroe pulled me a way from Sc-939. THat doesn't mean I think it sucks.

Yashu said:
I like conroe... I even liked p4... I would love to have a single core p4 HT box to kick around... This thread is all about s939, and AMD was king during the entire run of s939.

In the end... Without AMD we would still be on single core netburst, we would still be 32bit only, and prices would be much higher.

Yet, I like my Sc-939 as well. Like in the old days when I wished I could have used an Athlon Thunderbird on my Asus P3B-F 440BX, I wish I could use my Conroe on even my Asus A8N. :) Yet, AMD wasn't king during it's entire run LOL! AMD NEVER enjoyed being at the top of the market like it did with X2. There was always cases when P4 and even the Hottscott had many realworld apps it did just as well as or even better in. I might screw up, but I try to be honest whenever possible.
 
You going to find lots of back stock mainboards, and duel core upgrade processors on the market, but yes, it is not going to be like socket a, more like 754, great deals, but lacking upgrade paths, AM2 has much better support.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
i know that, i never said it didn't. i'm just wondering by how much. ;)

and i was talking normal people, normal apps. the people who just browse the internets and watch the occasional video, print stuff, play solitare.. yeah.

Yup you're right. I know many folks' that fall in the normal user cat. Many are using 1 to 2GHz, mostly Intel Dells and say, "I'm not ungrading until this one dies and you can't fix it!" Just as I told you the other day. I had someone ask me, "Can you install a DVD burner in my computer". The person was using a P3 450 and just today one asked me if I'd install one in an AthlonK7 (Classic) with a FIC mobo:)
 
that is true. part of why i'm glad dell and amd got together.. intel will now be the high end choice for desktops again, which will cost more, and amd will be the cost effective solution.. we'll see if K8L manages to change this :p

Donnie27 said:
That was a reply to a the 165% more expensive question. Is the E6300 worth 165% the price of a $75 Sempron? I say hell yes it is. First, 754 doesn't have enough pins for a 128bit Dual Channel memory controller. Even after you replaced it with a Sc-939, you only have lines for a Single channel of RAM. If you corrected that, you have a new board LOL! Sc-939 doesn't operate in a VIOD!
you missed something important. look again at this closely ;)

600.8@4-4-3-18-8m.png


dual channel ddr2! helps negate the lack of cache. ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
that is true. part of why i'm glad dell and amd got together.. intel will now be the high end choice for desktops again, which will cost more, and amd will be the cost effective solution.. we'll see if K8L manages to change this :p


you missed something important. look again at this closely ;)

Sweetttttttt! I did miss that.
 
Donnie27 said:
Right now, the high end AMD stuff still costs too much.
that it does, and to be honest, there is no way i could ever justify it, or allow anyone else to get it unless upgrading from a poor oc'ing s939 single core to an X2.... though it's not gonna stop me from picking up the new dfi am2 board and having some fun :p
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
that it does, and to be honest, there is no way i could ever justify it, or allow anyone else to get it unless upgrading from a poor oc'ing s939 single core to an X2.... though it's not gonna stop me from picking up the new dfi am2 board and having some fun :p

Speaking of overclocking high-end stuff, seen this? More than a few folks are saying they got 4GHz on air with the X6800. At $1050, it is moot for me. I've just not seen the overclocks of AMD processors like many on line have. :mad: Not just with mine but others I've seen as well.

For the record I helped one of my buds that's almost a newbie upgrade his 3000+ to a 3800+. Made sense for him since it was only what he could afford. In fact I picked the original system back when 3000+ was about $160. Yes I think 939 is viable even if it isn't the best IMHO. Is that crapping on AMD? :)
 
I can't get my x2 3800+ over 2.5ghz... I hear everyone talking about 2.9ghz on stock volts and I laugh because I need to bump to 1.55-1.6v just to get to 2.5ghz (with the IHS removed too)... I run everything stock now... I got so mad that there are no aftermarket cooling solutions for the 7800gs that I set everything to stock.

Donnie, I see you are still trying to pimp conroe in every reply.
 
Back
Top