socket 1336 build.

master noran

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming! and general use
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500
3) Where do you live?
Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU, RAM, MB, CPU COOLER I'm most likely going to get a i7 920 or 930 on the forums here, those are $200 or so?
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Ati 4890 (for now)
Corsair HX620
2 wd 640gb in raid 0
Pretty much everything in my signature except the the q9550, ram and motherboard.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24" 1920 1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Raid 0 support and crossfire support, sli support would be a plus too.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
windows 7

I've had my q9550 for a couple of months, and it's been great so far but I'm doing some major modding in my case and bought some new hd's so I want to update my cpu, motherboard and ram. I new video card will come later when eyefinity goes a little more mainstream. I understand there will be barely any difference in performance but I just don't want my current stuff to totally drop in price in the near future when 6 core stuff becomes mainstream and all of that. I just want to go with 1366 and forget about upgrading until a new cpu comes along and i can just pop it in. Basically I want something new and I have no idea what MB is the best in the price/performance section or what ram I need.

Actually, Core i7 920s are being sold here on the forums for around $220 to $250 shipped. Considering that you're in Canada, that price might jump.

For $500 CAD, a Core i7 build might not be possible as a decent X58 mobo costs around $210 CAD. And even if you go with the cheaper but less than optimal 2x2GB RAM setup, the cheapest 4GB of DDR3 1333 RAM is around $110 CAD. So looking at a total of $540 CAD to $570 give or take $15 CAD.

Basically it all hinges on you getting the Core i7 920 first for around $200 CAD FIRST. And possibly upping your budget as well.

I can't recommend an AMD upgrade as well as it will just be a side-grade at best. Besides, the RAM and your CPU have gone UP in price over the past few months.

I'm going to be up front with you and tell you that if you're looking for a gaming computer, you REALLY do not need an i7 920 man. I have a 955 and there is NO difference when it comes to gaming. You should just save quite a bit of money and go AM3.

If your coming to America some time, stop by a Microcenter, they are selling i7-930's for $199.99. You could pick up a decent motherboard, and Ram there too. They will price match newegg if you find something cheaper on there. ;)

If your coming to America some time, stop by a Microcenter, they are selling i7-930's for $199.99. You could pick up a decent motherboard, and Ram there too. They will price match newegg if you find something cheaper on there. ;)

Yeah, I know about that deal. I suppose if I can get a i7 cpu for cheap enough, I'll bump this thread to get some recommendations on MB, and such.

Since this is for gaming, upgrade your GPU instead. :p To at least an HD 5850. ;) The Q9550 is no slouch.

Since this is for gaming, upgrade your GPU instead. :p To at least an HD 5850. ;) The Q9550 is no slouch.

Well, it seems like I'm going to pick up a i7 920 locally for $210 CAN. I could probably end up breaking even since ddr2 is worth a ton now. I love the 4890, it play's everything I want it to, it runs stalker clear sky at 1920x1200 at a steady 40fps with the clear sky complete mod and it looks great. I'm currently waiting for next gen cards, I want something that can handle 1920x1200 eyefinity and not break the bank.

So, are some recommended 1366 motherboards and what ram should I be looking for?

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R for the mobo. For the RAM, DDR3 1600 RAM whose voltage does not exceed 1.65V. Timings do not matter.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well, I ended up picking up a used GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R for $125 shipped. Now I just need some ram and a i7 920. My budget for the cpu and ram as it stands is $300. What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Edit: Bah Ignore this, I thought you were going to reuse the Q9550, my bad.

I agree with Danny about the X58A and the DDR3-1600/1333 preferably under 1.65v

Edit: Bah Ignore this, I thought you were going to reuse the Q9550, my bad.

I agree with Danny about the X58A and the DDR3-1600/1333 preferably under 1.65v

Already picked up a GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R

Starting to feel like I overpayed a little :(

Already picked up a GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R

Starting to feel like I overpayed a little :(

then you're gonna feel like you overpayed for most things sadly. For gaming, you really don't need the 1336 socket chipset. Just comparing it to the 1156 chipset (which is what I was debating a week ago)
1) the i7-860 (i have a microcenter nearby, so these cost the same for me) runs at the same stock speeds, only slower in memory bandwith according to tests. if you grabbed an i7-875K at microcenter also for $200, it actually has a Faster clock speed (1 more multiplier)
2) the 1336 mobos are going to cost more, but they have better crossfire support I think (not sure)
3) since the 1336s use triple channel, you're gonna have to bust out more money for that extra stick of ram. 4GB is the suggested amount on any build, so the triple channel will use 6 gb most likely, which is around $150+ (versus $100 for 4 gb). Will you see the benefit of this in gaming, very unlikely

Just wanted to point some things out why the $500 budget on the i7-930 is a bit ridiculous and probably unnecessary.

EDIT:(how do i strikethrough the above?) I just reread that you want to be able to pop in new CPUs in the future, which would almost necessitate the 1336 (especially with the rumored hexacore). Ignore my ramblings, though it might be worth considering.

I just reread that you want to be able to pop in new CPUs in the future, which would almost necessitate the 1336 (especially with the rumored hexacore). Ignore my ramblings, though it might be worth considering.

Actually, both 1156 and 1366 will have only about two years left in their production lives. Beyond that, however, 1366 will have at least one hexa-core CPU that will be less expensive than the current i7-980X coming out for it within those two years while 1156 will have no new worthwhile CPUs planned for it beyond the recently-introduced i7-875K.

then you're gonna feel like you overpayed for most things sadly. For gaming, you really don't need the 1336 socket chipset. Just comparing it to the 1156 chipset (which is what I was debating a week ago)
1) the i7-860 (i have a microcenter nearby, so these cost the same for me) runs at the same stock speeds, only slower in memory bandwith according to tests. if you grabbed an i7-875K at microcenter also for $200, it actually has a Faster clock speed (1 more multiplier)
2) the 1336 mobos are going to cost more, but they have better crossfire support I think (not sure)
3) since the 1336s use triple channel, you're gonna have to bust out more money for that extra stick of ram. 4GB is the suggested amount on any build, so the triple channel will use 6 gb most likely, which is around $150+ (versus $100 for 4 gb). Will you see the benefit of this in gaming, very unlikely

Just wanted to point some things out why the $500 budget on the i7-930 is a bit ridiculous and probably unnecessary.

EDIT:(how do i strikethrough the above?) I just reread that you want to be able to pop in new CPUs in the future, which would almost necessitate the 1336 (especially with the rumored hexacore). Ignore my ramblings, though it might be worth considering.

I appriciate the advice, and totally agree that the q9550 and skt 775 in general is fine for gaming, but I will probably end up breaking, so I don't mind going to 1366 before my socket775 stuff is worth nothing.

I'm very close to getting a i7 920 D0 for 190 shipped, then all I need is some ram.

Back