Soap about 360 vs PS3 - MS is a cheap arse

VermillionZ

Supreme [H]ardness
I now have my PS3 80 gig and my Xbox Elite 360 all setup and both online accounts created.
I like the PS3 it has some nice features and Sony even have free downloads ie themes, wallpaper, demos etc

Fucking Xbox live is a bunch of cheap ass bitches.
I wanted to check out some themes and old game titles.
Fuck it's 800 live credits just to download the full version of Street Fighter Hyper Fighting
and 150 credits for themes..

God dam I also purchased the 12+1 month gold member live account in the store when I got my 360..

They don't give you any free shit worth your time not even for a gold account..
Cheap bastards.
Considering I dropped retail price on the 360 and gold membership.:mad:

Man I agree. My buddy has a 360 and I got a PS3... and he pays so much more for crap than I do. Online, crappy proprietary HDMI cable... and other misc. crap. At least the 360 has a pretty good library.

People rag on Sony a shit ton, but it's online is very very quickly catching up to Microsoft's, and after all the Home announcements today, and the entire store getting redone in April, it could easily surpass it.

Like you said, free themes, free online play, and they don't restrict demo's for those who don't want to pay for a week, they have frequent sales on the downloadable games that I've seen... I'm slowly starting to place my PS3 above my 360 on the video game food chain. That could also be because I have a decent PC and MS wants to port every ones of it's best 360 titles to the PC with additional content.

I would even go off to say that the quality of the downloadable games is a bit better, I enjoy a ton of the 360 arcade titles, but I can say that Pixeljunk Monsters and Super Stardust HD is better than 85% of the ones on XBLA (which mostly seems to be ports and remakes, not that there is anything wrong with that, but the majority of ORIGINAL XBLA titles rarely tend to impress at all, imo).

Hell, I am even considering getting Bionic Commando for the PSN simply because of the high res textures!

I checked out the xbox live points.
They don't even give you any disount if you purchase mass amounts of points
500 points is I think $6.50
Now if you want to buy 5000 it's $65.00
What a fucking rip off that is.
I would have expected maybe they'd some some loyality to their customers and fans
I wouldn't might buying points up in mass bulk if I got a little discount.
They would make more money that way.
MS is just a bunch of greedy fucks.:rolleyes:

I checked out the xbox live points.
They don't even give you any disount if you purchase mass amounts of points
500 points is I think $6.50
Now if you want to buy 5000 it's $65.00
What a fucking rip off that is.
I would have expected maybe they'd some some loyality to their customers and fans
I wouldn't might buying points up in mass bulk if I got a little discount.
They would make more money that way.
MS is just a bunch of greedy fucks.:rolleyes:

If you want a discount off points, you'll have to search the web for it. MS won't offer it and frankly, they don't need to. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

I hate the entire notion of points, from MS to Nintendo, because you almost always end up with some odd number of points eventually that you will never find anything to spend them on.

With Nintendo, eventually you will end up with enough to actually get something, but I have had 50 points in my 360 account for a long time ago now and can never find anything to spend them on. I want a Metal Slug 3 picture pack, but if I spend 80 points, I will forever be stuck with some asshole odd number of points. I get a 1600 point card, and it's like, gee, do I get two arcade games, or one arcade game and this awesome 80 points picture pack and be stuck with 720 points and be pretty limited in what I do with it? I'd impulse buy a lot more stuff if I wasn't constantly having to calculate the remaining points to see if I'd come out even.

The only way I see to never get an uneven amount of MS points is to just stick to 400 / 800 / 1200 point stuff but you'd miss out on a fair number of content (like any Guitar Hero song pack).

With Sony, I can get in, spend the exact amount I want, and be out. Works for me! I don't hate Nintendo's system as much, because like I said earlier, everything is in multiples of 100 so eventually you'll end up with enough points go get an NES game or something.

but the majority of ORIGINAL XBLA titles rarely tend to impress at all, imo)

Don't expect that to change. MS recently changed the licensing agreement for XBLA titles. Microsoft's cut jumped from 25 to 75% ! That's sure to get talented people developing for them. :rolleyes:

Don't expect that to change. MS recently changed the licensing agreement. It jumped from 25% of the cut to 75% ! That's sure to get talented people developing for them. :rolleyes:

Yea, I love the ported and remade classics / arcade titles / big company offerings, but shit, I think the Dead Samurai XNA game (which is going to be an XBLA game anyways) may be the first original XBLA game I felt was worth the money.

I mean, technically Omega Five would be one I enjoyed, but that's from Hudson, so I just chalk that up to a big company everyone knows.

Have to disagree with people's impressions of XBLA. Sure, there's a lot of crap there but you could have said that about the PS2 as well. I own something like 15 XBLA games and spend more time playing them than retail titles.

Stereophile: The royalty change is more complicated than that. There's a new sliding scale that includes a few services like certification (previously you paid separately) and you earn more as your game sells more.

crappy proprietary HDMI cable...
What proprietary HDMI cable? I have a normal HDMI cable plugged into mine.

You guys only just figuring it out!? Nothing is free with microsoft!

What a concept. No wonder Gates dropped out of Harvard. :D
Ahh... there was me thinking there could possibly be some intelligent discussion here. My mistake.

The scale changes as your game sells more. It starts at 30% and as you sell more (and get your certification etc work paid off) the percentage increases. This doesn't change the situation if you have a publisher either... they still get 70% of the income from the game (but pay separately for certification etc).

You guys only just figuring it out!? Nothing is free with microsoft!
Well, judging from the amount you probably paid for all that Sony stuff in your sig, I'm guessing you're well acquainted with the fact that Sony isn't a charity, either. None of these guys are in it to give you stuff for free, as you'll probably finally figure out from the huge number of microtransaction items that will be in Home.

I'm not a Sony hater, although the root-kit fiasco and BD+ both annoyed me. I've got all three current-gen consoles (plus a PS2, 'cube, a DS, and a PSP). Hell, my 360 just RRoD'd on me, so that's not going to make me very sympathetic to Microsoft. But it's hard to deny that while Microsoft's making you pay now, they also have the best online service by far. So far, all Sony's done is promise-promise-promise, and the delays just keep shifting Home and the other interesting stuff (in-game XMB!) into the future. While those features are indeed really promising, _they're not here yet_, and _no one knows when they will be_.

I find it annoying that themes and gamerpics cost money on the 360, but you know what I do? I don't buy them. There's plenty of free stuff lying around if you just keep your eyes open. But, frankly, I also don't even see _why_ those themes and gamerpics are even so important. I'm not playing my dashboard - I'm playing games!

Well, judging from the amount you probably paid for all that Sony stuff in your sig, I'm guessing you're well acquainted with the fact that Sony isn't a charity, either. None of these guys are in it to give you stuff for free, as you'll probably finally figure out from the huge number of microtransaction items that will be in Home.

I'm not a Sony hater, although the root-kit fiasco and BD+ both annoyed me. I've got all three current-gen consoles (plus a PS2, 'cube, a DS, and a PSP). Hell, my 360 just RRoD'd on me, so that's not going to make me very sympathetic to Microsoft. But it's hard to deny that while Microsoft's making you pay now, they also have the best online service by far. So far, all Sony's done is promise-promise-promise, and the delays just keep shifting Home and the other interesting stuff (in-game XMB!) into the future. While those features are indeed really promising, _they're not here yet_, and _no one knows when they will be_.

I find it annoying that themes and gamerpics cost money on the 360, but you know what I do? I don't buy them. There's plenty of free stuff lying around if you just keep your eyes open. But, frankly, I also don't even see _why_ those themes and gamerpics are even so important. I'm not playing my dashboard - I'm playing games!

I don't think that it’s important, I think it’s more of a "cool" factor. I like being able to customize my PS3 and make it personal. I know that I live in a weird corner of the planet, but when people bring their PS3s over and we LAN up (only happened a few times) its cool to see the different themes going, and knowing that "that" PS3 is yours.

One dude came over with his, and after seeing all my shit customized, goes "man, I haven't really done shit to mine, its just default ... where you get all that shit.. I didn't even know you could do all that".

I don't always have a game running on my PS3. Sometimes when people come to chill, its just on playing music (that planet visual rocks btw) and when navigating the menus, I like having it customized with shit I like... no different than what I like to do with my house and my car.

So for me, +1 to free themes and online.

I don't always have a game running on my PS3. Sometimes when people come to chill, its just on playing music (that planet visual rocks btw) and when navigating the menus, I like having it customized with shit I like... no different than what I like to do with my house and my car.

So for me, +1 to free themes and online.
F'ing LOVE that thing. You can sort of make your own themes for 360, but ultimately I just don't care about it enough anyway. Sony did say they will eventually moving to a payment system. Just no one really knows how it will be affected.

I don't have much to add to this debate as it is really all about personal preference. I had the an original launch Xbox and Live and now have a 360. For me, it is extremely gratifying to turn the system on, and go online and literally play anybody I want to lag free within about a minute of turning the system on. When you break down the costs of the service, it is less than $3.50/month (one cup of your favorite starbucks). I have 2 brother in laws and a blood brother and we all play online each night for about an hour. It doesn't matter what we play, point being is that we can all play together despite being a great distance from each other. And no matter what, the service is always there and very reliable even while I am streaming music from my PC. For those of us that have full time jobs, kids and a wife to keep happy, we want something that is quick to get online and find a match and someone to play with. The Live service does this for me, and for the money, you won't find a better deal out there IMO. Sure I can't have custom themes, pics or extras without paying for them, but I don't care about that anyway. I bought the 360 to play games on and it fits this bill perfectly.

It all boils down to personal preference. Don't kid yourselves into thinking that Sony isn't in it for the money either however. I used to be the biggest Sony supporter until I started using their equipment at my job. Everything with them is proprietary so generic cables, memory cards, etc. don't work and I have to spend extra. Also, don't think for one second that because it is free now, it will stay that way unless you have something in writing from them that guarantees this.

Bottom line, both systems and services have their merits.

Thats right, you just want to play games, and with MS, you need to pay to play those games online you already purchased. So not only can you not get those themes and extra junk for free, you can't even play your game online for free. For people that just want to play games, and not worry about all that XBox dashboard crap and extras, they still have to pay to get that game online.

You guys who like the PS3 themes: you should really check out m0dus's XMB themes on NeoGAF. He's got some really amazing stuff.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232832

Check it out.

Also, while yeah, XBOX Live is far superior to PSN (especially with PS3 not having in-game XMB), I really hate the nature of the closed Microsoft system. Can't use any non-proprietary USB peripherals. I have a Logitech G25, and it's great for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on the PS3. The 360 doesn't even detect the damn thing. I'm not going to go out and buy an exclusive peripheral for it.

I love MS points. I've rarely paid full price for them. I've gotten 3 1600 pts. cards for free. I've bought a couple for buy 1 get one 1/2 price too. Waiting for Sony to discount/have sales is a lot longer than finding random deals through any retailer.

Sorry, but both have their positives and faults. 360 gold is one of the best gaming values in my opinion. You get an online gaming network set-up that hands down beats anything on the PS3. Finding friends and getting games running on the PS3 isn't always easy, and without an integrated voice isn't always as deep. You're paying for that service, and I for one find it worth my money. If you don't, I'd suggest not renewing your subscription to Live.

PS3 is unlocked and allows for free themes, but they're user-generated. Thus you have to find the good ones or create one to your liking. I like the feature but it's not the end-all-be-all. You can use keyboards and mice, but they don't have an integrated headset and voicechat. They don't have an overarching system like Live, and Home won't be free, folks. I'm excited about it but don't act like it's going to be handed out like candy on Halloween.

Recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of the two online systems will keep your frustration down. I use the 360 for multiplayer games and the PS3 as my blu-ray player and single-player/exclusives gaming machine.

PS3 is unlocked and allows for free themes, but they're user-generated. Thus you have to find the good ones or create one to your liking. I like the feature but it's not the end-all-be-all. You can use keyboards and mice, but they don't have an integrated headset and voicechat. They don't have an overarching system like Live, and Home won't be free, folks. I'm excited about it but don't act like it's going to be handed out like candy on Halloween.

Sony actually has a few themes of their own...but in reality, the user created ones are the best out there. Like I said, m0dus has some absolutely mind blowing themes.

And I do agree that not having integrated voice chat really sucks. I hope this feature is included with the advent of Home/In Game XMB. I assume it will be, since you can currently voice chat through the XMB.

XBOX Live is a far more mature online system at this point, and it's true you do get what you pay for. However, I think Home definitely has some promise. I'm also glad Sony went in a different direction with Home, as I think it could really help make the gaming experience a bit more personal. It would be nice finding a suitable party to play online games with in Home before joining a random public server. Especially with some of the unique Home game features we are to see with games like Warhawk, it'd be fun to just party with 7 other random people, and organize and form a battle plan before heading into a server. I just hope Home gets utilized to it's full potential, and that it simply doesn't get ignored in favor for a quicker in-game XMB.

Nothing against either service, both are better in some regards. I hate the points system MS uses, Sony has them on that. Charging for every single item is also kind of ridiculous, Sony does provide free themes and other stuff. Another thing I hate is the advertising on Live, you think that by adding advertising they would lower the price of the service, but of course they didn't, they are a corporation.

The one thing that upsets me with Live is that they do not provide dedicated servers for games. Why am I paying to play a game that I bought and using my own bandwidth to connect to others? It is like paying to use a P2P network. Everyone remembers Gears of War and the host connection advantage.

I love Xbox Live for the friends system and general setup and ease of use. Sony could really use that and an integrated headset like Live. STEAM has them both beat though.

Sony actually has a few themes of their own...but in reality, the user created ones are the best out there. Like I said, m0dus has some absolutely mind blowing themes.

And I do agree that not having integrated voice chat really sucks. I hope this feature is included with the advent of Home/In Game XMB. I assume it will be, since you can currently voice chat through the XMB.

XBOX Live is a far more mature online system at this point, and it's true you do get what you pay for. However, I think Home definitely has some promise. I'm also glad Sony went in a different direction with Home, as I think it could really help make the gaming experience a bit more personal. It would be nice finding a suitable party to play online games with in Home before joining a random public server. Especially with some of the unique Home game features we are to see with games like Warhawk, it'd be fun to just party with 7 other random people, and organize and form a battle plan before heading into a server. I just hope Home gets utilized to it's full potential, and that it simply doesn't get ignored in favor for a quicker in-game XMB.

Oh, trust me, I already sent your link to my home email to browse over some new themes! :D The Sony-generated themes are really lame IMO and I honestly forgot about them.

Re: dedicated servers- it's not perfect, but I actually prefer it to dedicated servers. Why? Well, companies can turn those off whenever they want, and then you can't play the game online. It's happened with some Ubisoft games in the past, and EA as well I believe. There's some lag but for the most part it seems to me that you can find some good games to jump in with low lag.

Microsoft has had a live-type service for years now. Ps3 has been out for a little over a year and it's service is quickly catching up to what live has established after a much longer period of time.

Sony is clearly doing something right, and with less time than it took MS. With that said, Live should be a better system because MS has been in the online aspect much longer. If PSN gets real close to the functionality of live for free, then Microsoft has a lot to worry about.

At this rate, Sony is on it's way to doing that.

XBOX Live is a far more mature online system at this point, and it's true you do get what you pay for.

In it's current state, I would never ever see myself paying for Live. Why am I paying $50 for the priviledge of hearing people cuss me out and call me every racial slur in the book constantly?

Why has Microsoft not done anything while their service turns into a racist, hate filled place to play?

And yea, you can mute people, but it happens so often and I got sick of hearing I just turned the damn headset off.

If / when Sony integrates a headset, as long as the service is still free, it won't bother me as much, but to have to pay money for the priviledge of being screamed obscenities at? There is trash talk, and then there is what you see on Live.

I am really surprised no one on the media has made a story on it yet, they are all so concerned with Bully, Doom, and GTA making kids go crazy, rather than "Hey, wow, look at the sort of things that happen on Live".

Sorry to rant, but that is my one biggest pet peeve is that 80% of people on Live are douches, and you have to pay for the priviledge to game against said douches. The games I've played on the PSN (Resistance, Motorstorm) all ran great, were free, and there wasn't any real asshattery.

Microsoft has had a live-type service for years now. Ps3 has been out for a little over a year and it's service is quickly catching up to what live has established after a much longer period of time.

Sony is clearly doing something right, and with less time than it took MS. With that said, Live should be a better system because MS has been in the online aspect much longer. If PSN gets real close to the functionality of live for free, then Microsoft has a lot to worry about.

At this rate, Sony is on it's way to doing that.

Sony's online service goes back to PS2 though just as Microsoft's XboxLive goes back to Xbox 1. I don't know, Sony's had just as much time as Microsoft (actually more), they're just barely getting their act together now for everyone to take notice. Never played online with my PS2 though, but I've been on XboxLive since Nov 15 2002.

Definitely agree about XboxLive's market place though.. I only download the free themes and such as well as some TV shows. Other than that, I simply avoid anything else with a price tag. I too can't stand most of the people on live. I don't even mute anymore, I just don't use my headset if I'm not playing with friends. Cursing, screaming kids, singers, gangster wankster people, all annoy the shit out of me.

Sony's online service goes back to PS2 though just as Microsoft's XboxLive goes back to Xbox 1. I don't know, Sony's had just as much time as Microsoft (actually more), they're just barely getting their act together now for everyone to take notice. Never played online with my PS2 though, but I've been on XboxLive since Nov 15 2002.

Most PS2 consoles did not have network adapters, so this is hardly the same thing. Online play for the PS2 was an afterthought, and rarely utilized.

Sony hasn't had as much time. First off, there was no hard drive in the PS2, so it was impossible to implement an online service. PS2 had network capability...that's it. All network capability had to be taken advantage of by the developer.

Also, Microsoft's XBOX Live goes way back before Xbox1. They purchased Sega's online service, which had already been in the works for a few years. Microsoft was not the originator for what has now become XBOX Live.

Re: dedicated servers- it's not perfect, but I actually prefer it to dedicated servers. Why? Well, companies can turn those off whenever they want, and then you can't play the game online. It's happened with some Ubisoft games in the past, and EA as well I believe. There's some lag but for the most part it seems to me that you can find some good games to jump in with low lag.

Um...companies don't need to host dedicated servers...the user can. Also, the user can always host listen servers as well (where they act as a server, and can play at the same time).

I believe Unreal Tournament 3 has the proper implementation. I'm not 100% sure, so correct me if I'm wrong here. Epic hosts dedicated servers for users to play on, users can use their PS3 as dedicated servers, users can use their PC as dedicated servers, and the user can host a listen server while playing the game. That's how it should be done. If a PC client is not possible, do it like Warhawk.

One thing I absolutely hate about Live is the lack of a server browser. I like finding a server I enjoy playing on for a PC game, and playing there regularly. Can't do that on XBL, and the whole experience feels much less personal.

I agree that $60 for a year of XBL is to much considering you have to pay even more for EVERYTHING on there. Right now xb360 has the games I want though so until MG4/new controller for ps3 comes out im going to keep the 360.

Sony hasn't had as much time. First off, there was no hard drive in the PS2, so it was impossible to implement an online service. PS2 had network capability...that's it. All network capability had to be taken advantage of by the developer.

Also, Microsoft's XBOX Live goes way back before Xbox1. They purchased Sega's online service, which had already been in the works for a few years. Microsoft was not the originator for what has now become XBOX Live.
First, I'd love to see a source for the claim that Microsoft bought Sega's online service, because I couldn't find anything. Indeed, Dreamcast online services were actually available concurrently with Xbox Live, so I'm a little doubtful.

Second, who cares if Sony didn't have as much time to develop as Microsoft? It's their own fault (and Nintendo's!) for ignoring that space. Online gaming had been popular for years on the PC beforehand. It's not like this should have taken anyone by surprise.

I think there are some merits to the dedicated server approach - but on the other hand, it's worth noting that no Xbox Live game that actually used the service properly (looking at you, EA!) has ever gone offline permanently.

Um...companies don't need to host dedicated servers...the user can. Also, the user can always host listen servers as well (where they act as a server, and can play at the same time).

I believe Unreal Tournament 3 has the proper implementation. I'm not 100% sure, so correct me if I'm wrong here. Epic hosts dedicated servers for users to play on, users can use their PS3 as dedicated servers, users can use their PC as dedicated servers, and the user can host a listen server while playing the game. That's how it should be done. If a PC client is not possible, do it like Warhawk.

One thing I absolutely hate about Live is the lack of a server browser. I like finding a server I enjoy playing on for a PC game, and playing there regularly. Can't do that on XBL, and the whole experience feels much less personal.

True, I didn't think of a user set-up dedicated server. I'm not sure there's much demand for that. What I was saying though is that there's always been host-listen servers as you call it, and they work fine most of the time.

Server browsers don't really work for Live because it's usually just a host-listen server, or just someone hosting a game while they play. You'd be better off just noting the people in the game and adding them to your friends list. It's even MORE personal, as you're joining the same players, rather than just the same server, where there may be all different people. I don't understand your argument here.

Server browsers don't really work for Live because it's usually just a host-listen server, or just someone hosting a game while they play. You'd be better off just noting the people in the game and adding them to your friends list. It's even MORE personal, as you're joining the same players, rather than just the same server, where there may be all different people. I don't understand your argument here.

Well imagine playing an MMO and being connected to a random shard every time...that's how I feel when I play an FPS on random servers all the time. I had a lot more fun in Counter-Strike when I would play regularly in the same server where a bunch of us would kind of form a community. Heck, it's not much fun having an FPS clan if you don't have a server to play in.

Oh, and it seems I was mistaken and mal-informed when it came to Sega and XBL. I can't find any information myself (I had originally gotten the information from some posters on NeoGAF...and no one had refuted it at the time). So, for now, you might as well consider it a rumor / falsehood.

My comment about Sony not working on their online service for a while was responding to the person saying Sony's online service has had as much time to mature as XBL, which is simply not true.

Sorry, but both have their positives and faults. 360 gold is one of the best gaming values in my opinion. You get an online gaming network set-up that hands down beats anything on the PS3. Finding friends and getting games running on the PS3 isn't always easy, and without an integrated voice isn't always as deep. You're paying for that service, and I for one find it worth my money. If you don't, I'd suggest not renewing your subscription to Live.

Recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of the two online systems will keep your frustration down. I use the 360 for multiplayer games and the PS3 as my blu-ray player and single-player/exclusives gaming machine.

Where have you heard that it "isn't going to be free". I read that when Sony was interviewed they said they wouldn’t rule cost out, but as for now it will be free. Depending on how Sony starts making money with Home might depend if they start charging users for it. If "free" home is a selling point, why throw away potential sales over 3-5 bucks a month to use? Sony replied to that question in the interview like that so that if they need to charge in the future to keep it up and going, they can do so, w/o the back lash from the community saying "wait you said you would always be free".

i have a ps3 40 gig ive own for a month now
i love it and it does everything the posters above said.
i had a question can i play psp games on my ps3 ?
i want to play wipout pulse on my 55" screen. Thanks !

i have a ps3 40 gig ive own for a month now
i love it and it does everything the posters above said.
i had a question can i play psp games on my ps3 ?
i want to play wipout pulse on my 55" screen. Thanks !
just plug our psp into the 55" screen direct with the available component cable!!

Back