So who's gonna buy Leopard on launch day?

If I'm not mistaken when you buy OSX you are only allowed to install it once on one pc. That is not the limitation that retail windows has. Oem windows which much cheaper than retail windows has that same limitation, one install one pc.

windows is one machine at a time...its not one install ever.

In case you didn't notice MS put out two service packs free of charge. After 5 years of windows xp they released vista. Theres enough changes in vista to warrant a new os and not a service pack.

you know what, i keep forgetting that XP is that dam old, it just seems like yesterday i was messing with alpha and beta releases.

I see you're running BootCamp, which will expire for Tiger. It's Leopard software and a Leopard feature, they were just testing it live in Tiger, and they might offer a Tiger version for 30 dollars or something soon or on Leopard launch, but you won't be able to update to a newer version.

You'll of course be able to continue to use your other OS', you just won't be able to update BootCamp or make any more partitions, you'd just be able to revert back to your original partitioning scheme.

And Leopard is *really* snappy from what I've seen compared to Tiger, Apps launching in one or two bounces instead of five to eight.

Will Bootcamp be a separate program that you'll have to pay to use or will it be included as part of Leopard?

Will Bootcamp be a separate program that you'll have to pay to use or will it be included as part of Leopard?

It'll be part of Leopard. Hopefully new video drivers come with it because mine can be buggy as hell sometimes in XP. And for the record, I am buying it on launch day. :D

I notice that Apple's site has been undergoing some changes (the store is unavailable right now). Could this signal the launch of Leopard?

The way i had heard bootcamp will wrk in leopard is you will not longer need to reboot, it is part of the OS, but you will literally just switch from leopard to windows when you want, almost more like a VM system, but shutting down one os or hibernating it to go into the other.

and they're doing an "up to date" program where people who bought a mac without Leopard between October 1 and December 29th can get Leopard for $9.95 + tax :D

Definitely a nice offer, but I'll be getting the 5-user Family pack. My Powerbook G4 has been languishing with 10.3.9 for a little while now. Bought it in March of 2005, so I guess 10.4 hasn't been out that long. And I think I'll install it on my wife's MacBook, as well.

I was really hoping Apple was going to come through with some kind of package deal. 10.5, iLife and iWork '08 for $200 or something like that. Oh well, I wonder when this beta expires...

Went ahead and ordered mine from Apple.com. Is this anything like it was going from XP to Vista. Thanks - Travis

* again Apple noob question *

I just signed up for the apple student developer connection (ADC) for $99 which includes Leopard, XCode, a monthly mailing, and a free t-shirt

needless to say the free t-shirt sealed the deal for me :)

Any truth to MrGuvernment's post about bootcamp in leopard? wouldnt that consume a lot of system resources even if it was in "hibernation mode"

Im going to wait and see what kind of deal i can get through my uni, both my parents are profs so maybe ill be able to gravy train off of them if nothing else.

Boot Camp

That is currently what Apple is reporting on what Boot Camp will do.

Little deeper I was able to find this:

# Convenient Boot Camp Task Bar Shortcut

Use the Windows task bar to restart your Mac into Mac OS X, change Boot Camp settings, and access Boot Camp-specific help.

Any truth to MrGuvernment's post about bootcamp in leopard? wouldnt that consume a lot of system resources even if it was in "hibernation mode"

It's not in Leopard. (Yet, anyway.) It was something that the website advertised until someone asked Apple about it at WWDC when they denied it was a feature and took it off the site. It hasn't appeared in any of the Betas, but there is a "Reboot to Windows" option in the apple menu.

I see that they've done a sort of unification of the UI in Leopard by getting rid of the brushed garbage.

That's good and all...but now they've added the transparent black stuff.

Then they added a translucent menu bar which doesn't match anything else in the OS.

The toolbars in iTunes don't match the rest of the UI toolbars.

Now it's like even more stuff doesnt match. Leopard has some nice features and stuff, but I was really hoping for a new UI. Or at LEAST a totally unified one. But they've just gone and scrambled it up even worse this time.:eek:

It's not in Leopard. (Yet, anyway.) It was something that the website advertised until someone asked Apple about it at WWDC when they denied it was a feature and took it off the site. It hasn't appeared in any of the Betas, but there is a "Reboot to Windows" option in the apple menu.

My understanding is that OSX will hibernate (like when you close the lid of a macbook) and save the contents of RAM to the harddisk, then boot Windows, and that Windows will hibernate, once again saving RAM to the HD, and OSX will resume. This will be much faster than a full reboot every time you need to switch your OS. It's also pretty easy to implement, although it isn't in any beta I've seen, so they very well could have scrapped it.

My understanding is that OSX will hibernate (like when you close the lid of a macbook) and save the contents of RAM to the harddisk, then boot Windows, and that Windows will hibernate, once again saving RAM to the HD, and OSX will resume. This will be much faster than a full reboot every time you need to switch your OS. It's also pretty easy to implement, although it isn't in any beta I've seen, so they very well could have scrapped it.

It's been scrapped, at least for now. It's a good idea in theory, but a Mac OS safe sleep image becomes corrupted if anything on the primary disk changes. Software like MacDrive (which makes HFS+ volumes r/w in Windows) means that the safe sleep image can easily become corrupted, causing damage to the system.

Do you have to have a MAC to install it? Not just on a standard intel machine?

I thought about purchasing Leopard on launch day and putting it on my 2002 QuickSilver since it meets the minimum specs, but I will probably just purchase a 2.8GHz 24-inch iMac with it pre-installed early next year instead.

Please don't turn this into a Leopard vs. Windows Thread.
Of course not...that would be like comparing a Ferrari F50 and a Geo Metro. :p
Bootcamp is being cut from all previous version of OS X and being made a standard feature on Leopard. So yeah, you'll have to "pay" in the sense that you won't be able to use it if you don't upgrade to Leopard.
Do you have to have a MAC to install it? Not just on a standard intel machine?
No....there's ways to make it install on non-Apple branded Intel hardware. That's out of the scope of this forum though...PM for details. ;)

when will they ever have a "run mac on your windows machine" ? i like that.

when will they ever have a "run mac on your windows machine" ? i like that.

Maybe when what Microsoft is offering sucks so bad that people would prefer a better alternative.

Waitasec. That time is now!

Amazon has OS X 10.5 for $109 shipped.

2 day shipping is only nine bucks to where I live.

a friend bought a new mac book on the 24th of sept, whats the chance they will honor the get a free upgrade thing for her seeing as how its only a few days off from the first.

Maybe when what Microsoft is offering sucks so bad that people would prefer a better alternative.

Waitasec. That time is now!

Actually has anyone had XP crash or Vista crash on a Mac machine? The primary reason Mac OS X appears so stable is that they don't have to worry about all those 3rd party drivers crashing the system. My two "windoze" machines have never crashed in all the time I owned them or had any other issues. My parents however, masters of "click here", do get into problems simply because they are of the "accept it" crowd - people that even OS X can't save. (as in, they would type in the admin password when asked regardless)

Actually has anyone had XP crash or Vista crash on a Mac machine? The primary reason Mac OS X appears so stable is that they don't have to worry about all those 3rd party drivers crashing the system. My two "windoze" machines have never crashed in all the time I owned them or had any other issues. My parents however, masters of "click here", do get into problems simply because they are of the "accept it" crowd - people that even OS X can't save. (as in, they would type in the admin password when asked regardless)

Exactly. I use established hardware brands that make good drivers. Specifically: Intel, NVIDIA, Logitech, etc. I never have the famed instability of PCs. The problems you hear about are user problems, not hardware or software problems. And these kind of people are going to screw up their OS no matter what, regardless of the differences in "user protection:" a password (OSX), cancel or allow (Vista), or no protection at all (XP).

That being said, I'm still going to upgrade on October 26. Not because of the stupid reasons you hear in the media, but simply because Mac OS is a better operating system that's built on better design fundamentals and focuses more on usability and less on being a jack of all trades.

My parents however, masters of "click here", do get into problems simply because they are of the "accept it" crowd - people that even OS X can't save. (as in, they would type in the admin password when asked regardless)

I guess if you couple this with the fact that Windows is a more "popular" target, is where we come into that "windows is unstable" idea.
Of course with the growing fanbase and platform normalization, OS X will soon be victim to a lot more exploits (and probably more malicious, just for effect)

Which is why I say safe computing is up to the user more than it's up to the Operating System.

Now, back on to the thread topic (it looks really bad when a mod derails a thread ;) )

I won't be buying leopard as *soon* as it's out, maybe I'll wait a few weeks or so.
Right now my main computers are a Mac mini (ppc) at home, and my mbp (1st gen CD).

I'm trying to finagle a new intel mini, so maybe I'll wait till leopard to get it. Dunno for sure.
I'll definitely get it for my MBP though at some point.

I already preordered it from Apple.com on the 16th. Hopefully it will be delivered on Fri the 26th. I took the day off work so I can install it and play around :)

Back