So who's gonna buy Leopard on launch day?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
just curious as to how many of you guys (and gals) plan on upgrading to Leopard when it launches?

count me in. ;)

i wish i had a mac to do just that. what is new in it?

i wish i had a mac to do just that. what is new in it?

stuff like Boot Camp and some goody goody video chatting stuff.

this is yet another reason why I like my 17" MacBook Pro so much. because it's Intel based means I can continue to have the best of both worlds. Windows and Mac, all rolled in to one good looking machine.

count me in!
already have a macbook
and iphone
all i need is my $24" imac that ive been wanting for so long
i wish i can find a local buyer to buy my current rig and i would get the imac in a snap

how much is it gonna run?

Mac noob here...:p

I would guess 130 bucks US. Thats what every mac os 10 version has cost other then 10.1(which was like 30 bucks for the upgrade over 10).

They will prob have the 200 dollar 3pack family edition again too.

I will be getting my first Mac when Leopard is released, probably a Macbook, but the MBP is really calling to me. Glad I still have some time to decide before I have to choose.

I will be getting my first Mac when Leopard is released, probably a Macbook, but the MBP is really calling to me.

spend the extra money on the MacBook Pro. having an Intel based laptop with a pretty potent CPU and GPU is an awesome combo. this and the fact that you'll be able to run Windows if needed.

I'm currently in the market for an Apple Macbook. I was told to wait for leopard and then also wait for their new product line that is supposed to surface here pretty soon.

Originally I was going to wait until the end of January 2008, but lately in the last 2 weeks I've thought about taking the plunge early.

My Dell 700m is showing signs of wear and tear and I'm counting the days until the HD crashes. Hopefully it lasts me a good year more *knocks on wood* but it's definitely time to upgrade...

Wait for leopard or take the plunge?

I'm currently in the market for an Apple Macbook. I was told to wait for leopard and then also wait for their new product line that is supposed to surface here pretty soon.

Originally I was going to wait until the end of January 2008, but lately in the last 2 weeks I've thought about taking the plunge early.

My Dell 700m is showing signs of wear and tear and I'm counting the days until the HD crashes. Hopefully it lasts me a good year more *knocks on wood* but it's definitely time to upgrade...

I'm at the same stage myself.. I'm not sure if I should wait and get a machine with Leopard on it already or if I should just get a mac and then buy Leopard when I hear reports from enough folks that there aren't any significant problems.

The main thing that keeps me from making a decision is the rumor of new hardware releasing around the same time as Leopard.

I am waiting for Leopard since the release date is some time this month, hopefully.
Though waiting for the next hardware update is something I do not think I could wait for; since the next update would logically be the Penryn mobile chips. Though that means nothing certain until January at the earlies, and probably not until later than that since Apple usually waits when a new hardware update occurs.

spend the extra money on the MacBook Pro. having an Intel based laptop with a pretty potent CPU and GPU is an awesome combo. this and the fact that you'll be able to run Windows if needed.

he can run windows with any macbook, you don't need to drop the extra money on the MBP for that. All Macs come with Intel processors.

Does anyone know if there will be an education version with lower price?

*Thanks swatbat

Does anyone know if there will be an education version with lower price?

Generaly speaking it is like 70 bucks for the educational version.

I need to really get a new apple as I have to support them from time to time(rocking a g3 right now for when I have to support them, got rid of my g4's). Man if they would only come out with a 12 to 14 inch macbook pro.

Me.

As long as there is an updated Mac Pro to go with it, with the new Harpertown Xeons, 1600 FSB, and a video card that isn't underpowered or two years old. Apple absolutely SUCKS when it comes to video cards. And there is no excuse for it now that they're on the Intel gravy train.

If not, then no. I'll wait for the mac Pro until I get Leopard.

I... see no reason to upgrade :( There's just nothing compelling in it for me.

I see you're running BootCamp, which will expire for Tiger. It's Leopard software and a Leopard feature, they were just testing it live in Tiger, and they might offer a Tiger version for 30 dollars or something soon or on Leopard launch, but you won't be able to update to a newer version.

You'll of course be able to continue to use your other OS', you just won't be able to update BootCamp or make any more partitions, you'd just be able to revert back to your original partitioning scheme.

And Leopard is *really* snappy from what I've seen compared to Tiger, Apps launching in one or two bounces instead of five to eight.

I've seen at least one place that is offering a free upgrade copy of 10.5 for folks that buy a computer and Applecare now.

$150 for a service pack, no thanks.

the new items easily could of been made service packs, but Apple now going the MS route wants to charge for minor items and updates and features found in other OS for years.

the new items easily could of been made service packs, but Apple now going the MS route wants to charge for minor items and updates and features found in other OS for years.

Any reason the Vista features should not have been offered in the same way for 129 rather than 399, or free as you suggest? Atleast with Leopard I get a non beta stable product to use. And yes I run Vista on my PC.

In case you didn't notice MS put out two service packs free of charge. After 5 years of windows xp they released vista. Theres enough changes in vista to warrant a new os and not a service pack.

You'll of course be able to continue to use your other OS', you just won't be able to update BootCamp or make any more partitions, you'd just be able to revert back to your original partitioning scheme.

How will I be prevented from making or installing new partitions? Upgrading to newer versions, yes, I could see that... But I should keep full functionality of the current program no?

Also, About the app launches... I don't think that justifies 150$... Besides, the majority of the programs I run already launch in less than 5 bounces...

Tiger is also going on 3 years old now. They as well release frequent updates however do not label them service packs. They charge less than 1/3 the retail price of the full version of Vista with most of the same if not more functionality...

Tiger is also going on 3 years old now. They as well release frequent updates however do not label them service packs. They charge less than 1/3 the retail price of the full version of Vista with most of the same if not more functionality...

If I'm not mistaken when you buy OSX you are only allowed to install it once on one pc. That is not the limitation that retail windows has. Oem windows which much cheaper than retail windows has that same limitation, one install one pc.

How will I be prevented from making or installing new partitions? Upgrading to newer versions, yes, I could see that... But I should keep full functionality of the current program no?

Also, About the app launches... I don't think that justifies 150$... Besides, the majority of the programs I run already launch in less than 5 bounces...

no, it has an expiration, boot camp 1.3 expired not too long ago, and i'm not sure when 1.4's is, but it will expire.

Please don't turn this into a Leopard vs. Windows Thread.

Fair Warning.

I never intended to do that sorry! :) Just stating things are pretty similar in the MS/Apple world (as well as elsewhere) in terms of software revisions. Really everyone does this - not just the OS world but application suites as well. Nero 8 recently came out and its similar to 7, slight feature modifications, Office Suites, and other software are not excluded from this either. Its just kinda how software is I suppose. Thanks for the warning before locking def appreciate this thread not being closed because Im really looking foward to leopard (as I did Vista). Im not pro one or the other I just tend to provide some defense to products I like that are attacked and I apologize for that.

School is giving to us for free!!! Well technically not free since we pay for software fees... but the amount we pay every year really covers Adobe CS3 and FontFolio... so it's "free"!!!!

School is giving to us for free!!! Well technically not free since we pay for software fees... but the amount we pay every year really covers Adobe CS3 and FontFolio... so it's "free"!!!!

Thats awesome things like this are why I miss college now =(

Any reason the Vista features should not have been offered in the same way for 129 rather than 399, or free as you suggest? Atleast with Leopard I get a non beta stable product to use. And yes I run Vista on my PC.

You should not comparie stand alone version of Vista (399 for ultimate is more like 250$ on the intertubes) too an upgrade like Tiger or Leopard.

I think I'd be better of selling my mac mini (recent c2d) and buying a new one with Leopard preinstalled then spending 130 on an update.

I'll definitely be picking it up on day one. I remember for the Tiger release they were handing out free iTunes songs and raffling some pretty sweet hardware.

Back