So when are these 939's suppose to come out?

Originally posted by LeviathanZERO
DocFaust,
i see your point, but what i want to be able to do is buy the processor now, at the start of the current generation, and then be able to purchase a new processor at the end of the generation without having to overhaul the entire system because everything is changed.

I hear it will be made up until A64 3700+ before the transition to 939-pin. Plus, 130nm is nearing its end since scaling is becoming more and more difficult for AMD. Even with that PCI/AGP lock, I don't think you will be oc an A64 more than 200mhz on good air.

Originally posted by lil layzie
Now I am wondering. Will the 939's (that have dual channel memory access) have a huge performance gain over the 754's (single channel memory access)?

It will at first give little performance gain. The A64s right now are only single channel and they perform up to the level or beyond that of the dual channel P4s. Even the A64 3400+ performs equal to the A64 FX-51 (which has dual channel). It is not how much theoretical bandwidth there is, it is how it used (think onboard memory controller). But as applications become more memory intensive, dual channel is always welcome in the future.

Back