So what's your nostalgia game?

Did you get to meet anyone who worked on the game? How did you get to beta test it?

Never met anyone, but did get a 15 minute phone call from one of the programmers. This was way back in the BBS/early AOL email systems and they were taking applications to beta test it. I *LOVED* Mechwarrior 1 so much, that I was very persistent. In a few weeks, after signing a non-disclosure agreement and a few other legal agreements a bunch of handwritten data disks were sent to me (I was legally forbidden from copying or making backups of the disks) and tested it out. Every week or so a new version would be shipped out and I'd send numerous scenarios of instability, incompatibility, play test, etc back to them.

Look back in a manual, or even online and my name will appear in the "beta tester" list.

RIGHT HERE IS THE LIST

I'm listed under EXTERNAL BETA TESTER. Shaun K.

My only claim to fame! :D

Last edited:
Parasite Eve 2.

It was a Playstation game and it's the PS game I've replayed the most, and I continued playing it using emulator after my console died. Even bought a copy on PSN when it was ported over along with other other classic PS games.

Battle City
Nox
Dragonball Z 2 & 4 (SNES)
Earth Defence Force
Zool
Novastorm (First CD only game I have ever played)
Command and Conquer Red Alert 1

For the most part N/A since I don't have time to revisit games.

However, Kingpin Life of Crime was one shooter that I would never forget.
Also Max Payne game with mods was frickin' awesome.
Another one I could play any day of the week would be The Longest Journey.

But I will never play the above games so I will never have nostalgia.

I would have to say:

Day of Defeat (normal and Source) - Over a thousand hours on both. Love the hell out of the game. Really would like to get back into it on a daily basis but just really no community server I have found lately.
Final Fantasy 9 - Played hours behind hours with this back in the day.
Lineage 2 - All time favorite MMO and recently got back into it.

Super Mario Bro - NES
Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow - Gameboy
Doom (original) - PC
Halo 1 & 2 - Xbox

There's definitely more I could probably think of, but those are certainly the first that come to mind.

Also Max Payne game with mods was frickin' awesome.
Another one I could play any day of the week would be The Longest Journey.

I actually haven't played Max Payne in a long time, but I can still vividly recall the isolated wintery environments. Talk about atmosphere.

And +1 to TLJ, a hugely underrated classic.

And to add to the list:

Any Lucasarts golden era adventure game (Monkey Island 1-3 being my favorites)
Thief and Thief II
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Gothic 1 and 2
Morrowind
Jedi Knight
Mafia
Mass Effect (the first)
Sanitarium

Carmageddon.

Not the sequel or the new release.

Classic Carmageddon with the keyboard.

My first and fav rpg will always be Breath of fire 3.. its a game ive played maybe 10x in my life now.

Pretty much any game I owned on NES/SNES/N64 and even a couple of PS1 games.

Mostly for me they were.

For Console:
Duck Hunt
Duck Tales
Mario Bros.
Super Mario World
Beavis and Butthead
Sega Sonic
Majoras Mask
Goldeneye
Duke Nukem 64
Metal Gear Solid

For PC:
Tribes 2
Anarchy Online
Neocron
Deus Ex
Half-Life

Ragnarok Online - Played since kRO and early eRO alpha. Still play on private servers from time to time.

The Legend of Zelda

Icewind Dale

Duke Nukem 3D - Played a lot of co-op on a friends LAN with a 486-33MHz i believe. It was a damn slideshow but we didn't care as long as we had beer.
Redneck Rampage
Half-Life - I play through it every couple of years.
Blood
Carmageddon - There's nothing like software rendered blood splatter
Jet-Set Willy on the Spectrum 48k
Pirates! on the C64

PC:
Descent
Doom II
Freespace 2
Titan Quest: IT
Unreal Tournament
Warcraft 3: FT

Console:
Coolboarders 2
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Rez
Sonic Adventure
Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Thrasher: Skate & Destroy
Timesplitters 2
Zone of Enders

Arcade:
Galaga

Last edited:
So I'm pretty sure other than the prettiest millennial princesses on here most of us have like 1 or 2 games that just sit in a rar or shelf that we pull out every couple years and sometimes play all the way through just because.

I've always had this weird fixation on Phantasy Star Online it wasn't until recently that MMO's and FPS finally met in the middle with a few action MMO's as apposed to point and clickity mmos. PSO is still alive and kicking weirdly with a big player base. every couple years I'll hack together an install and go play with the hipster mmo crowd. I also probably beat GemFire(SNES) and Dragon force(SS) once a year. I'd say counter-strike,but CSGO is keeping it real enough for me.

whats your game you've been playing over and over off and on forever?

PSO! God, this was this game converted me from a kid who plays games to a gamer. In fact, it converted my mother & my sister as well. My addiction eventually converted to EQ, which is where I became a no-lifer, hopelessly addicted to MMOs for life.

I have not played it since PSO BB release though. It's good to hear there is still a community out there kicking it!

As far as my nostalgia game: Skies of Arcadia. I pull it out every couple years and have a good time.

PSO! God, this was this game converted me from a kid who plays games to a gamer. In fact, it converted my mother & my sister as well. My addiction eventually converted to EQ, which is where I became a no-lifer, hopelessly addicted to MMOs for life.

I have not played it since PSO BB release though. It's good to hear there is still a community out there kicking it!

As far as my nostalgia game: Skies of Arcadia. I pull it out every couple years and have a good time.

Yeah I quit after I had to hack together PSOBB so you can play PSO2 now in english and its free but you have to download the install from a bunch of indonesian links it sucks. its 14GB in like 20 parts. I'm like 5 in

A link to the past, Super metroid and Everquest are the main games that i have good memories of and can easily hook me back in and kill some time.

A link to the past, Super metroid and Everquest are the main games that i have good memories of and can easily hook me back in and kill some time.

EQ has so many memories and nostalgia. Norrath is literally where I grew up (yeah, I might be a massive dork). I refuse to go back though, as I know the game couldn't have aged that well compared to modern MMOs and I don't want to ruin my perception of the game from 2004.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Dragon Warrior
Final Fantasy 3 (US)
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound

EQ has so many memories and nostalgia. Norrath is literally where I grew up (yeah, I might be a massive dork). I refuse to go back though, as I know the game couldn't have aged that well compared to modern MMOs and I don't want to ruin my perception of the game from 2004.

It's still fun to romp around in and has aged far better than you might think. It's free jump in and run around.

BLOOD for dos
i remember i was obsessed with it so much i tried to make a blood fps game for my ti-82 back in high school

I remember dreaming of games the first time i saw them.
That happened hard with Starcraft, Diablo and Pokemon lol

The Little Big Adventure series... particularly LBA2: Twinsen's Odyssey. I played that game so many times as a kid. I still enjoy giving it a go every once and a while.

Diablo 1/2
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Knights of the Old Republic
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete

More often than not I don't really play my nostalgia games but instead reminisce...

For me overall it's the Quake / Quake II days. The variety of mods that were available for both games was really something. From Quake Da Bomb on Heat.net to TF; CTF and it's various incarnations in Quake II on Mplayer and Quakeworld via Gamespy.

At last but not least, Action Quake II. Nothing like strapping on a bandolier and going all knives. Navajas from Desperado definitely was an inspiration for going that route, lol.

Back