So what's the shooter to play now?

Alright. I've settled to try out COD4 or COD5, buying it for the multiplayer.

I'm leaning more towards COD5, unless proven otherwise. Seems like the majority of people enjoy both of them.

CoD4: because playing with 12 year old spawn campers is always fun.

Wait, no.

Looks like L4D and COD5/4 are what people are playing nowadays. Personally I could never get into the COD multiplayer.

Nobody mentioned graw 2, I'm not sure on online community, but in terms of tactical shooter its quite entertaining, plus its a nice change from highly linear games. Wolfenstien enemy territory is quite fun online plus a pretty big community, my only problem is every time I change servers I need to dowload some file

I cant find ant fps that are even remotley realistic and the industry dosent seem to want to put one out. I still plat Red Orchestra the best fps although its older graphics wise it still is the only game with all the best features of a fps that make it truly realistic almost a battlefield simulator.

No bunny hopping, no armour, no crosshairs, just bullets with physics and iron sights.

FEAR 2 is very nice.

Suffers from console-itis, so it can't be considered. And I beat it in a single sitting. Lame. I do agree with Blackstone, though, the original EFBB was a blast, and I can't wait to see what Starbreeze does with the update. This will be one to watch for.

Currently playing a mix Crysis Warhead (haven't played through it yet), Mirror's Edge, and HL2: Episode 2.

With COD4 being quite aged (i never got it for PC) and COD:WaW getting really lukewarm to shitty reviews.. what's the FPS to get till Battlefield:BC2/1943 seeing as how that's not coming for a while?

Or rather, what FPS are people playing these days?

Not sure why you trust reviews so much. If a game is fun, it's fun.

I have not played CoD4 multiplayer. Do you get unlocks like in BF?

I LOVED the singleplayer CoD4..so much fun..

CoD4: because playing with 12 year old spawn campers is always fun.

Wait, no.

LMAO. That's one of the main reasons I gave up on it after about a month.

The shooters I've stuck with are BF2, TF2, and L4D. By rotating between those three I never really get bored with any of them and they stay pretty fresh.

L4D
Day of Defeat: Source
ArmA with ACE
CoD 4 and W@W (some people call it 5 for some reason)
CS:S
BattleGrounds 2

i'd still play bf2, but rebooting into XP from 7 is a pain. and nutbuster doesnt like windows 7 for anything but cod"5" for some reason...

tf2, and as gabe3 said, stay away from cod4 at least, cod5 doenst have too many nades, but cod4 is ridiculous, cant even spawn anymore

COD 4 and COD:World at War are still the only true "shooter" games out recently that are worth playing. TF2 is not a shooter unless you play sniper the whole game, it is more a team based strategy, shooting game.

Well I really like CoD: WaW. The guns are awesome! I love killing nazi's on the russian campaign with a Mosin or Moltov cocktail. The only thing I don't like about it is like others said it feels a little like you can only go down this path.

Personally I also liked quake 4. It's a little older but I had fun playing it through. I may even reinstall it when I finish WaW.

Is there a good "battlefield" game? I haven't been able to get into shooters at all the past couple years, even TF2 which I was looking forward to for the longest time. I used to be a CS 1.3-1.6/TFC nut (cal-i for a couple seasons) and now I can't play them for more than five minutes before I'm bored.

The two games I miss most are Battlefield 1942 and Unreal Tournament 2k4. I liked the massive maps with multiple objectives and vehicles that resulted in more than just rushing a single choke point on a small map and respawning repeatedly or waiting five minutes for the round to end because the spawn campers don't want to mess up their score. I liked finding silly spots to snipe from, rigging vehicles/planes with c4 and blowing them up after they take off, manning mortars/turrets, piloting planes and kamikazing them into a tank after I run outta bullets. One of my favorite things to do in BF1942 was to try and snipe the drivers/pilots out of their jeeps and planes even though it might've taken me up to 10-15 mins for the opportunity to present itself or me just missing a bunch. Going prone on the wing of a fighter-plane and sniping the people below me all the while hoping to god my friend doesn't turn too sharply and send my guy plummeting to his death. I feel straight-up shooters like CS/TFC/CoD4 are way too one-dimensional and repetitive with their small maps and purely weapon based gameplay.

Well I'm probably ranting now but any recommendations? :D

COD 4 for me. Been playing it for about a year now. Though it will no longer be called COD. The next one is called Modern Warfare 2. I played COD5 single player but I was miserable online. I gotta have my M4 man.

I was really addicted to COD1 and COD4 looks great and I'd love to play it but you know what? I have been waiting a year for the price to drop and it has not. Screw Activision. I blame them for this.

I just got css, day of defeat source, l4d and the TF2. CS:S will always be THE daily fps to go to, I played 1.6 for a while and like this more. L4D is fun, but I'm waiting on the custom level update. Day of defeat is, kind of like cod5, I feel as if the weapons are kind of akward to use, it's dam hard to spray with a springfield rifle. The one I play least of my recent purchases is TF2, I don't know how people like this game, I probably just haven't gotten in my grove for it yet. As for cod4 which I played for like a month, it's pretty fun when you get some decent weapons to rival just about every other player.

Anyway go play some css

CS:S is always in my rotation.

If I'm not playing CS:S I can usually be found playing L4D or TF2. I'm stuck in the CoD 4 singleplayer... and I've never found any CoD MP all that fun. I also have Fallout 3 collecting dust on my bookshelf.

COD 4 and COD:World at War are still the only true "shooter" games out recently that are worth playing. TF2 is not a shooter unless you play sniper the whole game, it is more a team based strategy, shooting game.

um what? lol. Not true at all.

TF2 could be considered a first person shooter based on the fact you shoot enemies with various guns from a first person perspective.

I was really enjoying Quake Live until I tried to duel someone and got smoked terribly. Great game, just kinda unbelievable if you know what I mean.

Since this thread got resurrected, just wanted to say that i picked up COD:WAW and been having a blast. Online co-op w/ friends and online multiplayer. Cant wait for COD6 :D

this...

Quake Live is by *far* the best shooter out today....

if you have the skills that is....

Exactly the reason why this game will never have the numbers CS, TF2, CoD games have.. the majority of the people who play the latter are poor to ok FPS players. Servers packed with half the team hardly able to make a few frags in an hour isn't what I call fun, but I've always been a quake head and deathmatch player.

Back