So what upcoming games/engines are supposed to be the next gen graphics?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Out of the loop for the last couple years getting back into PC gaming. Are there any upcoming gaming engines that are supposed to "take it to the next level" graphics wise?

In all honesty it seems like it has stalled out, People are still talking Crysis when talking about the best graphics for a game still(in general, i know there are slightly better games)

I remember in the past there was always stuff to look forward to that was a year or two out. I am not seeing any of that now.

Thanks for any info or linkage :)

Crysis 2 using Cryengine 3 comes to mind, but it may be dumbed down for consoles, we'll see soon enough.

Crysis 2 using Cryengine 3 comes to mind, but it may be dumbed down for consoles, we'll see soon enough.

Hopefully its not a stupid console port like Black Ops. They better make a good engine for PC.

Hopefully its not a stupid console port like Black Ops. They better make a good engine for PC.

I have faith that Crytek won't screw up Crysis 2 as much as Treyarch did with Call of Duty: Black Ops, but in reality it could still turn out pretty bad. I'm fairly sure I read something about there being a separate dev team for the pc version, but I doubt they will add much to the pc version that can't be added to the console versions.

I know where you're coming from. For decades now, there's always been something on the horizon which looks almost too good to be true. And I can't think of anything that's had people drooling like that since Crysis (except for Project Offset, which has been dead for a while now).

Tech5, Unreal 4, and the new one Bethesda is making for Elder Scrolls V

I doubt we will ever see a Unreal 4. Epic just doesn't care about that series anymore and came out with that stupid flop called Unreal 3. They had many chances to come out with a patch to fix it and they never did until 2-3 years later and by then it was too late. Or less I missed an announcement, the Unreal series is dead, at least for a very long time.

I would love to see the Unreal series come back to its former glory of Unreal 2003 and 2004 though.

I doubt we will ever see a Unreal 4. Epic just doesn't care about that series anymore and came out with that stupid flop called Unreal 3. They had many chances to come out with a patch to fix it and they never did until 2-3 years later and by then it was too late. Or less I missed an announcement, the Unreal series is dead, at least for a very long time.

I would love to see the Unreal series come back to its former glory of Unreal 2003 and 2004 though.

I think he was talking about Unreal Engine 4, not an Unreal 4 game. Besides, they didn't even make an Unreal 3, unless you're counting Unreal Tournament as a regular Unreal game.

Well, supposedly CryEngine 3 is supposed to make it so you don't have to port the game. The only changes you make is scaling the graphics to work on whatever medium (and then obviously, the control layout).

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/no-port-in-crysis-2-thanks-to-cryengine-3.html

Or so they say. We'll see. The trailer didn't look TOO graphically impressive to me, and word is that it was the PC version (played with a controller for some reason), not the console version. So don't expect Crysis level graphics. I guess we'll have to see how they implemented the controls and game play to make a final judgement on whether or not it's a "Port".

CryEngine 3 isn't next-gen. It's just an easier-to-use-for-developers and more optimised version of CryEngine 2.

The next engine from GSC - even with the prospect of it being multiplatform - will probably be the next engine to approach "next-gen".

CryEngine 3 isn't next-gen. It's just an easier-to-use-for-developers and more optimised version of CryEngine 2.

The next engine from GSC - even with the prospect of it being multiplatform - will probably be the next engine to approach "next-gen".

Lets see what the guys at GSC can do. The Stalker series has been one of the most enjoyable ones for me in pc (talking about FPS, of course), although they were buggy as hell when released.

I'd say the RAGE engine is the next big one to follow. It won't be like going from Quake 3 to Doom 3, but it should be nice none the less.

Frostbite 2.0

The next generation of Frostbite will début with Battlefield 3. DICE has confirmed that this engine is being designed to take full advantage of the DirectX 11 API and 64-bit processors. As DirectX 11 is backwards compatible with DirectX 10, the engine will run using DirectX 10 hardware with some DX11-exclusive features disabled. DirectX 9 and Windows XP support will be removed entirely.

At SIGGRAPH 2010, DICE announced that they are adding some DirectX 11 features to Frostbite 2. These features include:

"Tile-based deferred shading acceleration" via DirectCompute, for speed enhancement reasons. They are also porting the code to work on the PlayStation 3's SPUs.
"Morphological Antialiasing" (MLAA) implemented with DirectCompute, for bandwidth conservation. MLAA is currently available only to a few PlayStation 3 games such as God of War III. DICE intends to bring this feature to DirectX 11 GPUs.
In addition to the new DirectX 11 features, DICE has also demonstrated the improved destruction capabilities of the engine.

Alright I probably just wasted $200 on this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

since i probably will game for a month and then call it quits again, hopefully that does not happen and something out there keeps me interested. What are the best games out there graphics wise right now?

So far I am going to try Metro 2033 first, then after that i have no clue. Any old games with graphics mods that really make them shine would be ideal also. Crysis I will try again I guess. Half Life/Half Life 2 and its mods are my all time favorite pretty much. I played that non stop from 1999 to about 2006 :D

Even if CryEngine 3 is just an extension(there are some additions, it's not just a tweak) of CryEngine 2, it's still far ahead of what other engines are out and what will be out for the next year or so.
Im going to say Rage at this point.

Rage is targeted directly at consoles, and I haven't seen anything that suggest that PC port/version of it will contain anything more than higher resolution textures and support for high resolution monitors. We'll see if IDTech 5 is a true next-gen engine if we see a game devolved on it that is targeted for the PC, maybe Doom 4.

Even if CryEngine 3 is just an extension(there are some additions, it's not just a tweak) of CryEngine 2, it's still far ahead of what other engines are out and what will be out for the next year or so.

The Rage engine is targeted directly at consoles, and I haven't seen anything that suggest that PC ports of it will contain anything more than higher resolution textures and support for high resolution monitors

Yeah that is true but everything looks better on PC lol. I do have to Agree with you on the CryEngine. The Engine is Amazing by far one of the best ive seen

Guild Wars 2? Might not push the hardware to the limit but I bet it will look nice.

Back