So what is next from Blizzard WoD or WoSC ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I know there are rumors coming from Blizzard that StarCraft2.0 will be out around 2008, time will only tell :) But with Supreme Commander due out next month, and if it is as good as everyone says, they will have some lofty expectations to live up to, and it's expansion due in 2008, and also being ten years after the original, SC2.0 must deliver a trully killer classic game

I can see two new games coming then, maybe a WoSC = World of StarCraft, or WoD = World of Diablo. A WoD is an easy no brainer that may even sell more than WoW, but I am afraid that a World of Diablo would not be too different than WoW, because the two games are so similiar already, they are both RPG's set in a fantasy setting, have Warriors and Mages, with swords and spells, and socketed items. To me World of Warcraft seems very much like a Diablo themed game already ?

Now a WoSC, that would be a trully ballsy and riskier move by Blizzard, there have not been too many Sci/Fi RPG's or MMORPG's, seems like 90% of MMORPG's are all Fantasy themed, would be nice to have a change for once :D This would also be completely different than WoW or even a WoD, totally new setting and theme, and can try crazy new idea's, where as a World of Diablo to me would just be WoW2.0 ?

Opinion's

if ya really look at it, blizzard took ALOT from diablo and put it into WoW. they're so extremely similar it'd be hard to have completely unique games. i mean considering original Warcraft was a strat game, and diablo was the RPG. if anything, i would think diablo would be a la titan quest, or dungeon siege. open-ended, but not THAT open-ended. WoW is currently blizzard's cashcow (8 million subscribers ahoy!) so i strongly doubt they'd make a game so similar it'd cannibalize WoW's sales.

but WoSC however, could seem possible. one's entirely in space, the other is not.

if ya really look at it, blizzard took ALOT from diablo and put it into WoW. they're so extremely similar it'd be hard to have completely unique games. i mean considering original Warcraft was a strat game, and diablo was the RPG. if anything, i would think diablo would be a la titan quest, or dungeon siege. open-ended, but not THAT open-ended. WoW is currently blizzard's cashcow (8 million subscribers ahoy!) so i strongly doubt they'd make a game so similar it'd cannibalize WoW's sales.

but WoSC however, could seem possible. one's entirely in space, the other is not.

But were talking Blizzard here, and any new game is at least couple years away, most likely 3-4 :) So by then WoW will finally be done with such high subscriber's for sure, and there will aslo be quite a few other MMORPG's to compete with them in the next three years we dont even know about yet, and dont forget WarHammer this WInter, I bet that put's a big dent in WoW players after the first 6months of release ?

So I would LOVE to see a WoSC, would be a complete different style game, and even for the whole MMRPG market, there is not much like it right now, and with Blizzard's cash to support it, I would hope it kick's ass

... and dont forget WarHammer this WInter, I bet that put's a big dent in WoW players after the first 6months of release ?

Pffft... after how badly Mythic has botched and ruined Dark Age Of Camelot recently, I would file WarHammer under the "failure to launch" category in terms of how well it should do.

WoW is currently blizzard's cashcow (8 million subscribers ahoy!) so i strongly doubt they'd make a game so similar it'd cannibalize WoW's sales.

Better to canabalize your own sales of one product, with another product you own, rather than a product of the competition.

Personally i would love to see diablo 3, not in a mmorpg though, maybe blizzard could save that till the future.

I don't think the WoW subscriptions has even hit a its peak yet. Blizzard has said they they may consider release expansions every year for it now, so I highly doubt you will see any other MMO from Blizzard in the near future. If anything, you'll see a Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. I think they would much rather take the risk of competeing with another company, the compete with themselves. WoW isn't going any where any time soon. Its been two years, and the numbers keep climbing...

Back