So the OnePlus One is now here...

Not making profit and loosing money are two different things.

If they break even, it's still good.

They are also still making profit on the phones itself. It's just that they have other bills to pay, such as salaries, utilities, etc.

I'm in business, supplying to high end custom home builders. If we sold our materials at cost, which is not making money, nor losing money, just break even. We'd still close down, because there is overhead to take into account, you have to pay employees, pay for your warehouse, pay for the equipment, pay the vendors for the materials you purchase to make the products. You can't survive selling at cost, with no profit.

LOL... for people who don't know...

OPPO Electronics owns both OPPO Mobile and OnePlus. OPPO Mobile and OnePlus acts independently... supposedly.

Exactly. One+ One is not some brand new start up company from scratch put together only by Steve K. and Cyanogen.

It is owned behind the scenes by Oppo, a big company. Don't know why Cyanogen is acting like this is some new company they went off on their own and started out of thin air. Without Oppo in the picture this phone wouldn't exist, and if it did, no way would be selling for just $299.

I'm in business, supplying to high end custom home builders. If we sold our materials at cost, which is not making money, nor losing money, just break even. We'd still close down, because there is overhead to take into account, you have to pay employees, pay for your warehouse, pay for the equipment, pay the vendors for the materials you purchase to make the products. You can't survive selling at cost, with no profit.
Like I said, they are supposedly still making profit on the phones itself. Just small enough to cover other expenses such as salary and utilities... maybe I didn't word it right. The BOM of an Oppo Find 7a is about $232 USD.

Breaking even covers the cost of building, assembling, and the cost of employees......

Breaking even in business never deals with just the cost of supplies, and the cost of the end product.

Hands-On And First Impressions Of The OnePlus One With CyanogenMod
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ressions-of-the-oneplus-one-with-cyanogenmod/

Great phone for the price, but IMO the size is just too much. Looking at the screen shot in that link, with the One+ next to the Nexus 5, it is substantially larger by a good amount.

Why are all high end Android phones moving to 5" + size screens now ? I think for one handed use the best size is the Galaxy S4 with 5" screen, and very small bezels, I had the S4, didn't really like the phone itself, but the size, weight and shape of the S4 was near perfect. The S4 fit in the 5" screen so tightly, and had soft rounded corners, easier for holding, and was very lightweight, and thin.

I wish all the high end Android phones would stop at 5" or maybe 5.2" at the most. And then have the separate category of Phablets for the 5.5" to 6" crowd.

The problem is no manufacturer other than LG seems to recognize the value of small bezels. HTC has laughably huge ones (speaker, actual bezel, and black bar for 2 buttons), S5 went and increased them over S4, Sony has always had huge bezels.

A 5-5.5" screen can easily fit inside current shapes. It's just an engineering and design problem. What will they do next year - 6" flagships?? At some point will every phone look like a Note ?!

LOL at the 'Don't settle' BS from the One+ One guys :rolleyes:

Looks like LG didn't settle either :p Their G3 will actually be out in the public before the One+, and have better newer specs;

- G3 has the brand new Snapdragon 805, not the old 801 on the One+
- G3 has the super high res QHD display, and is also 5.5"
- G3 has a larger battery than the One+

And LG phones have always sold the cheapest off contract compared to the flagships from Samsung, Apple, and HTC.

Looks like LG didn't settle either :p Their G3 will actually be out in the public before the One+, and have better newer specs;

And LG phones have always sold the cheapest off contract compared to the flagships from Samsung, Apple, and HTC.

What does a G2 off-contract carrier unlocked retail for? Oh that is right, almost twice as much.

And how much will it cost compared to the 1+?

I suppose that OnePlus's timing is a little bit off. If they had done the HTC thing and made the phones available immediately after the announcement instead of this destroy nature and create electronic waste campaign (and now the donate to the needy campaign), I'd say OnePlus didn't settle much other than in the areas of sound... What happened to the rumor of a near HTC quality speaker?

Now, they do have to compete with LG G3, which is a definition of not settling on flagships. I dunno why both HTC and Samsung are waiting for their "Prime" versions.

Heck, what the heck is "prime" anyway? Optimus Prime? (LG couldn't do it because of Hasbro!)

First reputable full review of the OnePlus One:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/08/oneplus-one-review/

The reviewer blasts the S5's and the Nexus 5's screens, despite testing to the contrary by DisplayMate (S5) and Anand (N5). The OnePlus One may have a screen that destroys the other two, but to call those displays "saturated" and "overblown", respectively, probably means the reviewer doesn't know shit about displays.

Also, for having top-tier specs, the phone stutters and lags occasionally. The CM team might have to do some more tuning of the kernel.

This phone should be getting a lot more positive press rather than everybody finding a reason to criticize, start rumors about ownership, complain about availability etc. Do you expect them to have huge inventory and massive factories when they aren't even making any money?

If One+ had a kiosk in every retail phone store and people were simply given a choice, you can bet the big carriers would be terrified. This is a Nexus with none of the compromises and an even lower price, you can't get any better.

It will be criticized and rightfully so. I don't care about the hardware compromises, the price is amazing. But if I can't get this phone it doesn't mean much, if I wanted a cheap, high end phone I'd likely go for what is available, or at least feasible.

This phone should be getting a lot more positive press rather than everybody finding a reason to criticize, start rumors about ownership, complain about availability etc. Do you expect them to have huge inventory and massive factories when they aren't even making any money?

If One+ had a kiosk in every retail phone store and people were simply given a choice, you can bet the big carriers would be terrified. This is a Nexus with none of the compromises and an even lower price, you can't get any better.

I agree and disagree. Yes for the price this is an amazing phone, that competes and even surpasses the big name flagships from Samsung and HTC, for the half the price :)

But to Joe and Jane Doe public buyer, NO WAY. When I bought all my Nexus phones back in the day, told my family and friends I only paid a cheap $349 or $400 for this awesome Nexus 4, they looked at me like I was crazy. They would say what ? How much did you pay for a phone, almost $400, your crazy, I would never spend that much money in a million years on a phone. They would say, I just bought my brand new iPhone for only $199. Why is your phone so much more at $399.

People are so used to subsidized phone pricing and contracts, the average public will never spend over $199 on a new phone. Even if you explain the whole off contract thing, and how in the long run, it's actually much cheaper to pay outright in full for the phone, blah, blah, blah. The public doesn't understand that or want to. They just want their $199 new phones, and not a penny more.

There's no reason carriers can't sell the One+ in a contract model with subsidy pricing. They did with the Nexus 5.

But these days they are adding the price of the phone in your monthly bill and its not really subsidized. To that kind of customer, saving $20/month is going to be a big deal.

Also if in the same retail location you had a big chart showing total cost of ownership, and option to buy a phone on payments, and maybe even signing up with prepaid, then it would be very different.

And of course this is only limited to the US, rest of the world doesn't do contracts. One+ deserves to be a huge success there.

Only T-Mobile sells the Nexus 5 and it's for $100 more than the same 16GB version in the Play Store. It's not in the big carrier's best interests to sell a phone with an unlockable bootloader for $350 off-contract. They want to lock people into contracts and payment plans as much as possible.

So can you actually BUY the OnePlus One yet?

Last time I checked they had this stupid bullshit invite nonsense going on.

Only T-Mobile sells the Nexus 5 and it's for $100 more than the same 16GB version in the Play Store. It's not in the big carrier's best interests to sell a phone with an unlockable bootloader for $350 off-contract. They want to lock people into contracts and payment plans as much as possible.

The main reason T-Mobile sells the Nexus 5 for more (Canadian carriers do this as well) is because LG and the carrier actually want to make significant revenue from the deal. I'm still amazed at those who think that $350 is the "natural" price for a high-end phone, and that $450-600 is some horrendous rip-off that's mostly profit margin.

Er, no. Even Apple's gross profit margin (the bill of materials doesn't tell you much) is still about a third, and it's really the only other major company besides Samsung that generates a meaningful profit in phones. The people who shout "overpriced!!!1!" probably shouldn't be let anywhere near the finances of a major tech company... they'd drive it into bankruptcy, because it wouldn't have the cash to develop future products or ride out tough years.

OnePlus' business model is hard to sort out, but I think it's both being very aggressive to lure in early customers and cutting out a lot of the software work by letting Cyanogen do the heavy lifting. I wouldn't be surprised if the OnePlus Two (or whatever the One's direct sequel will be) costs significantly more.

My beef is the large size, why is it so hip and popular to make a super large phone today ? :rolleyes: Seems like the all the new high end Androids this Summer / Fall will be sporting 5.5" screens.

The Nexus 5 is perfect, 5" screen and small bezel. Looks at the One+ next to the N5, and it looks ridiculously huge.

Last edited:
My beef is the large size, why is it so hip and popular to make a super large phone today ? :rolleyes: Seems like the all the new high end Androids this Summer / Fall will be sporting 5.5" screens.

The Nexus 5 is perfect, 5" screen and small bezel. Looks at the One+ next to the N5, and it looks ridiculously huge.

How can you buy and love your HTC One M8 and then complain about phone size? The size difference between the M8 and One+ is smaller than the difference between the M8 and the Nexus 5.

Or maybe the size is just past his tipping point with the One+One.

You can't defend telling him that he's not logical for disliking the phone. It's his opinion, just like it's the opinion of a lot of commenters that the One+ isn't liquid gold.

Get over it?

I don't care about any of this, if you can't buy it you might as well disregard the phone.

They should take this into consideration when doing these reviews. Might as well compare a Find 7a.

I hope this will be released to the public soon. I'd buy it in a heartbeat because of the price/hardware as I'm only using one of the cheapest smart phones you can get from Tmobile.

I'm not really a fan of the size but I'm willing to make some sacrifices for this kind of deal. It's just hard to believe that they decided to go with a 300 dollar 16GB model and a 350 dollar 64GB model. It doesn't really make sense especially at a marketing standpoint. Of course most people will go for the 64GB, because this is the year 2014 and we need all the room we can get for apps/music/videos. The only way it would make sense is if they included a micro sd expansion slot. Then it would be justifiable. Their other option would be to bump it up to an acceptable size of 32GB. They would then be shipping more white models out.

It's just like how my truck has such a small gas tank and also packs a lot of power under the hood (we're talking 5.8L V8 [351W]). It can only hold roughly 15 gallons of fuel and I find myself refueling quite often because I only get about 13-15 MPG (truck was built in the 90's). We're talking about roughly every 200 miles folks. Just like I find myself filling up my truck quite often you'll find yourself deleting stuff quite often with the 16GB model. So... I think I've made my point. ;)

I hope this will be released to the public soon. I'd buy it in a heartbeat because of the price/hardware as I'm only using one of the cheapest smart phones you can get from Tmobile.

I'm not really a fan of the size but I'm willing to make some sacrifices for this kind of deal. It's just hard to believe that they decided to go with a 300 dollar 16GB model and a 350 dollar 64GB model. It doesn't really make sense especially at a marketing standpoint. Of course most people will go for the 64GB, because this is the year 2014 and we need all the room we can get for apps/music/videos. The only way it would make sense is if they included a micro sd expansion slot. Then it would be justifiable. Their other option would be to bump it up to an acceptable size of 32GB. They would then be shipping more white models out.

It's just like how my truck has such a small gas tank and also packs a lot of power under the hood (we're talking 5.8L V8 [351W]). It can only hold roughly 15 gallons of fuel and I find myself refueling quite often because I only get about 13-15 MPG (truck was built in the 90's). We're talking about roughly every 200 miles folks. Just like I find myself filling up my truck quite often you'll find yourself deleting stuff quite often with the 16GB model. So... I think I've made my point. ;)

If you ask me..........

The truth about Oneplus One is that they could not in good faith and from a profitability stand point produce enough phones at the price they broadcasted so the invite only to buy is just enough for the production.

My predication is that they will not go live, this will not go on sale to the public. There will be hatred across the lands.....

I am a T-Mobile customer. As such I am stuck to a few options however, I may switch to straight talk with an ATT sim to use LTE. So if I don't hear a good date for the iPhone 6, or Nexus 6, or a newer/thinner/less lego block Nokia windowsphone......I am going to stick with a Nexus 5 here soon and just lay back and wait for something worth my while and that will last me the next 2-3 years.

Also, another thing to keep in mind.....has the Moto X and G not taught us anything about how hardware means jack chit compared to optimization? Who cares if it has an 801? The 805 is right around the corner......iPhone 6, Nexus 6, Moto X2 etc etc etc......

I'd rather pay 600$ for a flagship where no compromises were taken, than some company (oppo) trying to re-brand itself with this child-like marketing scam.

Last edited:
^ WTF.

I am a T-Mobile customer. As such I am stuck to a few options however, I may switch to straight talk with an ATT sim to use LTE. So if I don't hear a good date for the iPhone 6, or Nexus 6, or a newer/thinner/less lego block Nokia windowsphone......I am going to stick with a Nexus 5 here soon and just lay back and wait for something worth my while and that will last me the next 2-3 years.

Also, another thing to keep in mind.....has the Moto X and G not taught us anything about how hardware means jack chit compared to optimization? Who cares if it has an 801? The 805 is right around the corner......iPhone 6, Nexus 6, Moto X2 etc etc etc......

I'd rather pay 600$ for a flagship where no compromises were taken, than some company (oppo) trying to re-brand itself with this child-like marketing scam.

Yeah I think you're right. I might just get a nexus 5 when they go real cheap when the nexus 6 comes out. Just like how the nexus 4 dropped by like a hundred right before the 5 came out (almost got one and then they were all sold out).

I've given up on this phone. If I could get one it would probably be old news and no longer competing with the other flagships.

This thread has gotten quiet. Any updates lately ? I thought Oppo said early June more inventory would come into stock ?

Oppo announced the One+ One in April, and it is June, and I still can't buy it. Where is the website to order it ? What store can I walk into and purchase this phone ? As far as I know, this One+ One is non existing to the buying public, because it can't be bought like any other phone out right now.

If I want an iPhone 5S, I can go to the Apple store, or any phone carrier store, or Best Buy, or Apple's website and buy it from any one of those sources. Pretty much the same with the Nexus 5, Galaxy S5 and HTC One, Nokia Windows Phone, etc...

The invite system actually turned me off, and rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't help to lure me into this new company, it pushed me away a little.

And two months later after Oppo announced this phone, it is still nowhere to be seen in the general public, can't be purchased online yet, isn't stocked in any stores yet.

And the whole "Don't settle" will bite them in the butt. The next gen Snapdragon 805 phones aren't too far away from release, and the Nexus-Six will be out in like 3 or 4 months, with full next gen specs, for the same price, and will be available to order from day one.

This thread has gotten quiet. Any updates lately ? I thought Oppo said early June more inventory would come into stock ?

Oppo announced the One+ One in April, and it is June, and I still can't buy it. Where is the website to order it ? What store can I walk into and purchase this phone ? As far as I know, this One+ One is non existing to the buying public, because it can't be bought like any other phone out right now.

If I want an iPhone 5S, I can go to the Apple store, or any phone carrier store, or Best Buy, or Apple's website and buy it from any one of those sources. Pretty much the same with the Nexus 5, Galaxy S5 and HTC One, Nokia Windows Phone, etc...

The invite system actually turned me off, and rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't help to lure me into this new company, it pushed me away a little.

And two months later after Oppo announced this phone, it is still nowhere to be seen in the general public, can't be purchased online yet, isn't stocked in any stores yet.

And the whole "Don't settle" will bite them in the butt. The next gen Snapdragon 805 phones aren't too far away from release, and the Nexus-Six will be out in like 3 or 4 months, with full next gen specs, for the same price, and will be available to order from day one.

You have to understand that this isn't a company is able to fill huge orders like Apple/Samsung in a short amount of time.

They are losing money on the phone and not able to have a huge number of devices ready due to costs. I think the pricing is wrong. $300 sounds great but it means they make no money and can't have supply.

Its amazing how this phone went from a LOT of hype to zero coverage, and I feel bad for the company because in a few months it will be forgotten, if it isn't already, and already with phones like LG G3 and soon Note 4, new Moto X, next Nexus/Silver line coming out, even the enthusiasts won't be ordering the One+.

The should've kept the price at $350, still very low, made sure they had some sort of supply chain, and then announced it.

They are losing money on the phone and not able to have a huge number of devices ready due to costs. I think the pricing is wrong. $300 sounds great but it means they make no money and can't have supply.

Its amazing how this phone went from a LOT of hype to zero coverage, and I feel bad for the company because in a few months it will be forgotten, if it isn't already, and already with phones like LG G3 and soon Note 4, new Moto X, next Nexus/Silver line coming out, even the enthusiasts won't be ordering the One+.

The should've kept the price at $350, still very low, made sure they had some sort of supply chain, and then announced it.

I agree 100% This phone had massive buzz at the start of the year, running up to the official announcement. It was supposed to be the next best thing, the holy grail of Android phones

Now a month and a half later, it's all crickets chirping, and tumble weeds blowing. I don't see many people discussing it much anymore, and the big tech sites have quieted down on it too now.

For me, the 5.5" screen size was a turn off, I prefer around a 5" phone, if i want larger, I'll get the Note instead. And seeing the new LG G3 with the same size 5.5" screen, in a much smaller compact frame, the One+ seems way too large, and almost outdated sitting next to the G3.

Yes, for the price the One+ at $300 is a steal and bargain, but that's only good if I can actually purchase it somehow, but sadly it's not for sale really, I mean it is, but not easily.

And soon we'll have the Note 4 and Nexus Six around the corner.

LG G3 size = 146 X 74.6 X 8.9 @ 149grams with a 5.5" screen
One Plus One size = 153 X 76 X 8.9 @ 160grams with a 5.5" screen
HTC One M8 size = 146 X 70.6 X 9.4 @ 160grams with a 5.0" screen

Last edited:
OnePlus is totally making this almost vaporware. It's like 1+ want to sell as little Ones as 1+ can until it becomes cheap enough to produce. This is a point where the hype fails.

Also, HTC this year did the extraordinary thing by saying, "Guess what? It's available now!" Maybe it's like the years after the first year Oprah gave away cars, crappy cars might I add, nobody gave a damn about Oprah's favorite things unless it's more cars...

Back