So, the Geforce780?

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
Can someone explain what the story is on it? After looking at some preliminary numbers on a chinese website that Hardocp posted, I noticed stats wise it's largely lower than the 680, but produces some pretty astounding performance increases (moreso than the 6 over the 5 from what I can recall?).

What is it's secret?

GTX780 is a mildly gimped Titan, so it isn't a new GPU. It is simply a Titan with an extra SMX disabled. Should perform ~10% worse than a Titan, but have a "reasonable" price in comparison to the Titan. It's a performance jump of 25-30% from the GTX680.

Extra two SMX's disabled (12 enabled vs. Titan's 14), performance jump of ~30% per the leaked review so far over the 680. Also has 3GB of GDDR5. It's not the same GPU as the 680, being a GK110 chip vs. the 680's GK104.

Ok so I'm confused...between it being a different chip (or is the Titan a GK110 as well?) and being called something like the 780....it isn't leading out on a new line of Geforce cards?

If not, then when would the new line be coming out and what do they intend to call THAT if Geforce 780 is already to be taken by a Gen 6 super card like the Titan (which I assume was named Titan and not 780 because it wasn't a 7th generation update).

Titan is a GK110 with 14 out of 15 SMX clusters enabled, while the GTX 780 is a GK110 chip with 12 out of 15 SMX clusters enabled.

Ok, so if the 780 is a toned down Titan, then what are the tentative plans for the next actual new generation of Geforce cards and naming for them?

There will be no new architecture/line from Nvidia until Maxwell in 2014. This is essentially a rebranding launch, there won't be any "new" models.

May 23rd is the release date for the GTX780 which is a cut down Titan using GK110 chips.
The following week will be the GTX770 which is a beefed up 680 still using the GK104 chips.
Then the GTX760/ti will follow after those, not sure on specs for it yet.

It's a new line, but mostly a rehash of what's already out (same architecure). Just a bit faster then 600 series.

when is the non toned down version coming? or is there not enough competition in the gpu market that they care?

when is the non toned down version coming? or is there not enough competition in the gpu market that they care?

If you mean the Titan? I'd say that's as good as it gets for now. The next top end card Nvidia will release will probably be a dual GPU GTX790 (can't wait to see the MSRP on that). I'd say that may announce it around the release of AMD's next GPUs.

is it cheaper to make since they tone it down? or why do they do it? to make more money?

is it cheaper to make since they tone it down? or why do they do it? to make more money?

Yes, to make more money. These are probably chips that didn't make the cut for being used in a Titan.

How these video cards are rebranded or chips that didn't make it for titan. This kinda reminds me of AMD with their X2 that could be unlocked to X4.

Nobified[H];1039902009 said:
How these video cards are rebranded or chips that didn't make it for titan. This kinda reminds me of AMD with their X2 that could be unlocked to X4.
that analogy makes no sense.

Wishful thinking. :)

lol that's because many of the chips are full blown X4's. It's easier to produce a single set of chips at the highest level, expect errors in the manufacturing process, and resell them as lower end models. If the mass production of the high quality chip has strong yields then they forcefully disable some parts to sell it at a lower price range to fill the market. I believe it was the X3's that people managed to unlock the 4th disabled core, not the X2. Although I could be wrong.

As that sentence stands it makes no sense if you think about it lol ;)

lol that's because many of the chips are full blown X4's. It's easier to produce a single set of chips at the highest level, expect errors in the manufacturing process, and resell them as lower end models.

SO if you think about it the 780 is actually tainted thirds, since the titan is the sloppy seconds of the K20 :D

6xxx --> 7xxx
8xxx --> 9xxx
2xx --> 3xx (sort of).
4xx --> 5xx
6xx --> 7xx

Nothing new going on here at all.

Anybody see any reviews out yet? This thing is supposed to be released today right?

That's what I thought. I've read on forums where people were saying to wait for the 700 so the prices on the old cards would drop. That don't happen anymore. I figured the 780 would be faster AND more expensive than the 680 and that the prices of the 600's wouldn't budge at least not for a while.

That's what I thought. I've read on forums where people were saying to wait for the 700 so the prices on the old cards would drop. That don't happen anymore. I figured the 780 would be faster AND more expensive than the 680 and that the prices of the 600's wouldn't budge at least not for a while.

Let's face it, Nvidia simply doesn't have a compelling reason to drop prices. Without AMD having a proper competitor to the GK110, Nvidia is free to do as they please. Plus, it doesn't help that Titan sales have exceeded expectation. Even less of a reason to drop prices.

So now that the price of the 780's has been confirmed at around the $650 mark, any guesses on what price the 770's will be at release? If the price is right that may scratch my upgrade itch. The 780 looks like a cool card, just a bit too rich for me at this moment in time.

So now that the price of the 780's has been confirmed at around the $650 mark, any guesses on what price the 770's will be at release? If the price is right that may scratch my upgrade itch. The 780 looks like a cool card, just a bit too rich for me at this moment in time.

lol, just buy the 680, the 680 and the 770 are the exact same card.

Man, that EVGA Step Up program is looking VERY tempting. My 670 is less than 2 months old. An extra $150 and one of these beauties could be mine. Absolutely don't need it since my 670 plays everything including Crysis 3 at max settings (FXAA) but so what, I want MOAR! $150.......dammit! So tempting!

Except...you know...clock speed...

Oh, you dirty bastard! ;)

Ok, so specs-wise it loses out to the 680 in one place. Doesn't really mean shit, though. Texture fill rate is still WAY higher.

780 review today from Anand got me excited to upgrade. Then I saw the EVGA card with the cooling sold out instantly. So I wanted to come here and seek some advice since I can't impulse buy.

I built my system 3 years ago,
System specs:
Xclio Blackhawk Color Full Tower
ASUS P6X58D-E
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 7-8-7-24-2N
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
CORSAIR HX Series 1000HX
Intel X-25M 80GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
LG Black 10X BD-ROM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

When I built this rig I was using 2x 20inch non-widescreen LCDs. I have since upgraded to a U3011 (thanks to this forum) and of course there was a noticeable drop in FPS during heavy graphical loads on the new 30inch monitor playing in 2560x1600. It seems as if I need an SLI setup to get really solid frame rates when gaming at such a high resolution. I'm wondering if some of the more knowledgeable folks here could drop some knowledge as to whether the 780 might be a good investment for me to upgrade to. Or should I opt for lesser cards in SLI (ie: 660TI)? Or is it time to build a new machine all together? I'm not suffering terribly in my gaming, I would like to be able to stream while playing and not take such a drastic FPS loss though.

When I built this rig I was using 2x 20inch non-widescreen LCDs. I have since upgraded to a U3011 (thanks to this forum) and of course there was a noticeable drop in FPS during heavy graphical loads on the new 30inch monitor playing in 2560x1600. It seems as if I need an SLI setup to get really solid frame rates when gaming at such a high resolution.

You don't. See here, the GTX 780 can MAX every single game in existence at 2560:

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/05/23/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_video_card_review/4#.UZ6yd00iumU

I would like to be able to stream while playing and not take such a drastic FPS loss though.

The GeForce Experience includes a new feature called ShadowPlay that will hardware-encode real-time video. Game Streaming services might also be supported, but you should read more into it:

http://techreport.com/review/24832/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-graphics-card-reviewed/2

Man, that EVGA Step Up program is looking VERY tempting. My 670 is less than 2 months old. An extra $150 and one of these beauties could be mine. Absolutely don't need it since my 670 plays everything including Crysis 3 at max settings (FXAA) but so what, I want MOAR! $150.......dammit! So tempting!

Im in your boat, I have a 680 4gb purchased less than 2 mo ago and I have been trying to find information regarding the step up program vs selling it, also waiting for the ACX model to come out.

You don't. See here, the GTX 780 can MAX every single game in existence at 2560:

Not quite, for Metro Last Light they couldn't enable PhysX, SSAA was left off, and still averaged only 49.8 fps, dropping as low as 31.

Great card but it I wouldn't call that completely maxed, not by [H] standards.

You don't. See here, the GTX 780 can MAX every single game in existence at 2560

I'm having trouble understanding why the GTX 680 performs better than the 780 for Tomb Raider.

But thank you for the link! I wasn't really aware of [H]ardOCP, and it's nice to see them testing things at 2560 unlike most other reviewers. Any other insight into whether the rest of my hardware might bottleneck a 780 would be appreciated. I don't really know enough to research/determine that sort of thing on my own.

Back