So my GTX 670 died... I picked up a GTX 960... meh

RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
So... the 960 is slightly faster... I'll give it that. But, it may just be me, but games seem to take much longer to load. And if I alt-tab out of a game, that's a bit slower as well. I don't game above 1920x1080, and super high details don't mean much

I'm betting this has something to do with the 128bit bus compared to the 384 that i've been used to since the GTX470. It looks like 256bit is the standard with new faster RAM.

I'm looking to spend 200-250... any recommendations or info for this old overclocked bastard?

Wait 4 days for the rx 480 reviews looks to be as fast as a 390x/980 GTX for $199 for 4GB or 229 for 8GB model

So... the 960 is slightly faster... I'll give it that. But, it may just be me, but games seem to take much longer to load. And if I alt-tab out of a game, that's a bit slower as well. I don't game above 1920x1080, and super high details don't mean much

I'm betting this has something to do with the 128bit bus compared to the 384 that i've been used to since the GTX470. It looks like 256bit is the standard with new faster RAM.

I'm looking to spend 200-250... any recommendations or info for this old overclocked bastard?

Did you remove the drivers before swapping the cards, or did you just upgrade with the existing drivers remaining in place?

Did you remove the drivers before swapping the cards, or did you just upgrade with the existing drivers remaining in place?

I reinstalled win7.

200 bucks... so, basically, I'd want to see it compared to the GTX 960 or 970

I've used cards from both camps, 9800 pro, x1800xt, 8800GT, GTX 280, HD 6950, GTX 780 most recently. Anyone expecting this to outperform a GTX 980 is crazy, it's likely a card that maxes out at 120 or so watts and matches the 390/970 in terms of performance, at least on the reference models. We don't know what kind of OCs the AIBs are going to provide, but my guess is they'll be 8 GB models that cost closer to $300 than $200. Either way, $200 for 390 level performance is a great deal that I'm sure will garner AMD a lot of business. I'm personally waiting to get an ultrawide monitor when they hit 144hz, and whatever top of the line card is available next year. Whether it's big pascal or big vega, my guess is Nvidia will have the performance edge as they have in the past, but you never know.

I reinstalled win7.

200 bucks... so, basically, I'd want to see it compared to the GTX 960 or 970

I just sold a GTX 970 and will be side-grading to an RX 480. I expect, based on leaked benchmarks, for the RX 480 to perform about the same as my 970, but with lower power consumption (don't care) and FreeSync support (whole reason for the side-grade).

The RX 480 supposedly has performance between a stock 970 and a stock 980. Problem is, so do most 970s. Almost every 970 on shelves today is an overclocked AIB, and even if you don't OC yourself, you'd still get this benefit. My former card, according to benchmarks, falls within striking distance of a stock 980 (970 stock = 100%, 970 SC = 105.3%, 980 = 113.7%). That comparison is based on TPU's performance summary (SOURCE -1080p) in an EVGA SC review. My SSC was even faster. So, a stock RX 480 4GB @ $199 should be on par with most AIB GTX 970s. So I'd go 970 new at $200 or less, 970 used at $175 or less, or wait for the RX 480. Or, wait for AIB custom 480s, which should compete with or surpass a stock 980. Rumors peg these as mid-July.

I just sold a GTX 970 and will be side-grading to an RX 480. I expect, based on leaked benchmarks, for the RX 480 to perform about the same as my 970, but with lower power consumption (don't care) and FreeSync support (whole reason for the side-grade).

The RX 480 supposedly has performance between a stock 970 and a stock 980. Problem is, so do most 970s. Almost every 970 on shelves today is an overclocked AIB, and even if you don't OC yourself, you'd still get this benefit. My former card, according to benchmarks, falls within striking distance of a stock 980 (970 stock = 100%, 970 SC = 105.3%, 980 = 113.7%). That comparison is based on TPU's performance summary (SOURCE -1080p) in an EVGA SC review. My SSC was even faster. So, a stock RX 480 4GB @ $199 should be on par with most AIB GTX 970s. So I'd go 970 new at $200 or less, 970 used at $175 or less, or wait for the RX 480. Or, wait for AIB custom 480s, which should compete with or surpass a stock 980. Rumors peg these as mid-July.

Well, the 970 has only 3.5GB of VRAM, while you can get 4 or 8 for the 480. 8 should really be the minimum in this day and age, unless you're planning to upgrade within the next year. Won't even last two.

I think games within the next year will start to max out 4GB, and maybe even creep towards 6GB VRAM. I know my 970 has VRAM troubles with Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition if I max everything.

Well, the 970 has only 3.5GB of VRAM, while you can get 4 or 8 for the 480. 8 should really be the minimum in this day and age, unless you're planning to upgrade within the next year. Won't even last two.

Depends entirely on what you play and how you play it. IE, IF (this is hypothetical) RX 480 and GTX 970 performance is the same, and IF the 970 is available at $200, an owner of a GSYNC monitor would prefer the 970, even with the higher power draw and potentially gimped memory. I play almost exclusively at 4k and the "3.5GB" of the GTX 970 never noticeably impacted me.

But I am still approaching it as you stated. I sold my GTX 970 for exactly $200. If I get the RX 480 for $199.99 (free shipping, no tax), it's a free side-grade. Similar performance, similar memory, and the benefit of FreeSync. I'm just determining what I'm willing to pay extra for. $30 extra for 8GB total VRAM is a given. I'll look at the AIB models and see how high I want to go for a better cooler, factory overclocks, etc.

So I'd go 970 new at $200 or less, 970 used at $175 or less, or wait for the RX 480. Or, wait for AIB custom 480s, which should compete with or surpass a stock 980. Rumors peg these as mid-July.
And where can one find a *new* 970 for $200?

And where can one find a *new* 970 for $200?

Probably not. But that's what I would price it at. If you find it below that price, consider it. Else, wait for the 480.

I meant it as a threshold, not as a current active deal. Poor wording on my part.

There was a post in the Hot Deals subforum for an Asus 970 for $210 shipped after rebate. They're getting there...
The 960 is nice... but that narrow bus really hurts it. I want to see the 970 around 200.

The 960 is nice... but that narrow bus really hurts it. I want to see the 970 around 200.

If you can, get a used EVGA 970. They come with a legit secondhand warranty. Just sold mine with 25 months left on the warranty (NOTE: 5/10 year are NOT transferable, only the factory 3-year is, and it's from date of manufacture, not date of purchase, for 2nd hand owners). To me, a used EVGA is worth more than a new (any other brand) because of how they handle their warranty.

If using G-Sync, get a 970. If using Freesync, get a 480. If adaptive sync is irrelevant to you, get whichever is cheaper. Tie goes to the 480.

Try overclocking it, use the clocks in my sig as a baseline. (no added voltage, just bumped the power limit to 110%)

Some people have hit 1500+/8000. Others, have had to settle for lower clocks than mine.

Made quite a difference for me!

Tie goes to the 480.

I'd disagree with that, in the event of a performance AND price tie between a 970 and 480, the 970 should get the nod. nVidia has superior driver support for newly released games, more widely adopted features (GameWorks, PhysX, etc), and typically run cooler while drawing less power.

However, the 480 will be out in 2 days, with reviews being published immediately. I think the 480 is going to compete nicely with the 1070, which now puts us in agreement that the $200-230 480 would be the far better choice than a 970...from a performance standpoint, features notwithstanding.

I'd disagree with that, in the event of a performance AND price tie between a 970 and 480, the 970 should get the nod. nVidia has superior driver support for newly released games, more widely adopted features (GameWorks, PhysX, etc), and typically run cooler while drawing less power.

However, the 480 will be out in 2 days, with reviews being published immediately. I think the 480 is going to compete nicely with the 1070, which now puts us in agreement that the $200-230 480 would be the far better choice than a 970...from a performance standpoint, features notwithstanding.
Sorry but the 480 is most certainly not going to compete with the 1070.

Can you please post a link to a review, or screenshots of your own benchmark results?

The 480 may very well be a 1070 contender if the specs are true:

1070: 256 GB/s mem bandwidth.
480: 256 GB/s mem bandwidth.

1070: 256 bit bus.
480: 256 bit bus.

We'll have to wait and see how the new GCN stacks up and if the new 14nm process is kind enough to allow some insane clock speeds like the 16nm of the 1070 allows.

Eh the vram kills the 970 and that won't change. Oc or not.

Can you please post a link to a review, or screenshots of your own benchmark results?

The 480 may very well be a 1070 contender if the specs are true:

1070: 256 GB/s mem bandwidth.
480: 256 GB/s mem bandwidth.

1070: 256 bit bus.
480: 256 bit bus.

We'll have to wait and see how the new GCN stacks up and if the new 14nm process is kind enough to allow some insane clock speeds like the 16nm of the 1070 allows.
Lol that is your basis for thinking it will compete with 1070? It also has half the ROPs and runs a MUCH lower clock speed. You have lost your mind thinking AMD would have competitive card to the 1070 but launch it at only 200 bucks. Perhaps you should actually pay attention the leaked benchmarks as they all point to it being a little below 980 level. Even AMD hinted at that for while indicating it would be between 970 and 980.

Lol that is your basis for thinking it will compete with 1070? It also has half the ROPs and runs a MUCH lower clock speed. You have lost your mind thinking AMD would have competitive card to the 1070 but launch it at only 200 bucks. Perhaps you should actually pay attention the leaked benchmarks as they all point to it being a little below 980 level. Even AMD hinted at that for while indicating it would be between 970 and 980.

It may, it may not. With AMDs track record, the fucker may only bring 960 levels of performance in real world longer stint gaming sessions. We'll have to wait a couple days to find out. No skin off my nuts either way...I'm probably sticking with what I have now until Volta and Navi emerge.

Haha, I was in the same situation a year ago :D
I had SLI 670, one of them died, I still had warranty, got offered 960 instead since 670 was not being made anymore. Yeah, like my old, working 670 would SLI well with 960. So I said fuck that, give me 980Ti instead.
Now I'm sitting with 980Ti SLI.
The funny part is, I didn't have to pay extra for that 980Ti....
Naw just kidding :)

I doubt that it's actually a problem with the GTX 960. I would think it is an issue with how your system and OS are dealing with the new card. It's possible that the card is asking for things from the rest of the system that it just has a harder time delivering. The 256bit bus could be part of that issue, but it could be other features that were never demanded of the system before. As an example, perhaps the card is defaulted to demand larger textures and it's putting a greater strain on storage bandwidth. You might look into these things from that point of view, which I think you were already onto it. It's just coming down to narrowing down the specifics by subsystem sort of. Then you can test some different settings and perhaps pinpoint the issue and then determine a solution.

Do some bench marking first tho. You need a baseline to compare your changes against as you work your way through your system.

I would say the exact same thing even if I didn't know anything other than the MSRP of the two cards. AMD does not often hit "top shelf" when it comes to performance, but when they do, they charge for it, sometimes they even charge too much.

With the new cards the 970gtx are getting quite cheap.

True, and for just a few minutes I even saw some 980 Ti cards for $399. But, these are still 4GB and 6GB cards and the new cards are almost without exception 8GB cards. Anyone looking at larger 2K and 4K displays is mostly going to need the 8GB. If you tell me both bench pretty close but one is cheaper while the other has more memory. Well the memory and the power efficiency sold me on the newer card.

And, some people are making decisions based on the idea that they can buy another later for SLI or Crossfire. Just don't forget to figure in the cost of a new power supply if you'll be needing one.

Do some bench marking first tho. You need a baseline to compare your changes against as you work your way through your system.

This.

Overclock it, bench it, and see what you come up with....

I expect my 960 to carry me for at least another 8-12 months at 1080p without issue.

It may, it may not. With AMDs track record, the fucker may only bring 960 levels of performance in real world longer stint gaming sessions. We'll have to wait a couple days to find out. No skin off my nuts either way...I'm probably sticking with what I have now until Volta and Navi emerge.
Lol just under 980 performance like I said it would be. The 1070 is a whopping 50% faster. http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png

This was pretty much expected by all the leaks and again the fact that AMD themselves earlier said it would be between 970 and 980.

Glad you were able to have your self-esteem pumped up to this level over a video card that competes with a last-gen model that came out a bit under 2 years ago, M'Lord.
Good to see you cant even man up and admit how silly your expectations were. You were the only one I saw on any forum that was crazy enough to be thinking the 480 would compete with the 1070. Lets just laugh about it and move on now...;)

Good to see you cant even man up and admit how silly your expectations were. You were the only one I saw on any forum that was crazy enough to be thinking the 480 would compete with the 1070. Lets just laugh about it and move on now...;)

You threw the shit this morning, buddy...not me. To top it off, you did it in an elitist manner to provoke a reaction out of me. I didn't give you one, and now you expect me to admit I was wrong over a fucking speculated guess about a video card? Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

Besides, two and a half hours prior to your high horse post, I responded with this:

AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Card Review @ [H]

You threw the shit this morning, buddy...not me. To top it off, you did it in an elitist manner to provoke a reaction out of me. I didn't give you one, and now you expect me to admit I was wrong over a fucking speculated guess about a video card? Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

Besides, two and a half hours prior to your high horse post, I responded with this:

AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Card Review @ [H]
No it's clearly you that needs to grow the fuck up. Keep on being an overly defensive ass though.

No it's clearly you that needs to grow the fuck up. Keep on being an overly defensive ass though.

You've made such a pointless big deal out of this just so you could say (and I'm quoting your own words here) "Lol just under 980 performance like I said it would be."

And, like I said before...you're simply being an elitist I'm-right-you're-wrong-nana-nana-boo-boo high horser. Over a video card. That matches the competition from almost 2 years ago. Please take to heart what I stated before: it's no skin off my nuts because I'm keeping what I have now. I don't really give two shits about Polaris and Pascal right now. If you think the 480 is such the be-all-end-all GPU that it's causing you to fly off the handle this much over, then by all means, go buy one or two of them and rock out with your cock out.

Anyway, I vote let's stow the horseshit and get back to an exchange of intellectual conversing about the 480, now that we have factual data in hand. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, AMD has made an impressive product in a price bracket that many gamers can now afford. On the other hand, it would have been nice to see AMDs first 14nm process release take on nVidia's second 16nm process release. AMD better have something magical in the 490/490X and Vega parts, because the Pascal Titan and any Ti variants are due out in the relatively near future, and I'm really hoping AMD does not leave us with a repeat of the R9 300 and Fury yawnfest.

For the topic of this thread: RooK should strongly consider an 8GB 480, now that they are out and is clearly a better choice than the 970 for the $200-250 range.

The 960 may have been a downgrade. Wait for the 480 vs 1060... hopefully Nvidia gives you a 1060 thats worth a difference.

GTX660 vs GTX660 Ti vs GTX670 vs GTX760 vs GTX960 benchmarks

The 960 may have been a downgrade. Wait for the 480 vs 1060... hopefully Nvidia gives you a 1060 thats worth a difference.

GTX660 vs GTX660 Ti vs GTX670 vs GTX760 vs GTX960 benchmarks

The 960 was a horrible card. Given that it had no visible competition (the 380 was late to market and largely ignored), the 960 is, IMO, the number one reason that the RX 480 gets so much praise. Yes, when THAT is the prior "king" of the $200 tier, the RX 480 looks like a Godsent. (IMO, RX 480 isa good card, it's just overblown).

I think games within the next year will start to max out 4GB, and maybe even creep towards 6GB VRAM. I know my 970 has VRAM troubles with Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition if I max everything.
More than a few games already max out 4GB, even at 1080P. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed Syndicate are two examples that personally I've seen do this. I'm actually kind of surprised that DOOM does not seem to.

Back