So... LG Eclipse for Sprint. Top Android? 4-core Krait, Adreno 320... LG vs Samsung.

zamardii

2[H]4U
So as fate would have it, i have yet to upgrade my phone because of money concerns but perhaps this was a blessing in disguise because this rumored LG phone's specs are absolutely beastly. I was set on getting a Galaxy S3 for my birthday on September 27, but now i'm not so sure...

1.5 Ghz Snapdragon S4 Quad Core Krait processor
Adreno 320 GPU
13 megapixel camera
4.67 inch display at 1,280x768 pixels
2,100 MAH Battery
NFC
Ice Cream Sandwich

Engadget reported this phone coming through the FCC so it should be making it's way to Sprint pretty soon. However, i haven't bought a LG phone since they were still making flip phones so idk how they stack up these days. I loved my HTC, was content with my iPhone, but it'd be great to hear from some LG users how LG stacks up these days when it comes to "timely" Android updates, build quality, user experience, etc...

Had a LG optimus, they're pretty bad at updates and software in general. I personally won't be buying this new one as im sure they'll be something else (next nexus) on the horizon at that time.

Seeing these specs come out more and more,, looks similar to one of the wp8 coming out.

one problem is: LG manuf.

Yup. If this had an Octo-core CPU with a GTX 690m on it, I still wouldn't consider it. Until they can design a phone that's not completely fugly, doesn't have hardware defects crop up after a couple months and can keep up with updates (at least as well as HTC, Samsung and Motorola), they're pretty much garbage, IMO.

Just get the Galaxy S3. It will prolly be considerably cheaper (subsidized or not) by the time this phone comes out. Not to mention, prolly be on Jellybean/4.1.x. Does this phone even have expandable storage and/or a removable/upgradable battery? Those are other things that keep the Galaxy S3 on top, IMO. The only thing it seems that this phone will have over the S3 is the GPU (if true).

Possibly if they paid me to take the phone, and then made my bill $0 each month. OK, I'd definitely take it then, but I wouldn't actually USE it.

Quit riding the samsung dick seriously. Look at the problems samsung has had. Galaxy S1 with the gps issues, shit for updates too. OMGWTFBBQSauce it's a LG phone run away, saying that is plain fanboy shit for real.

Quit riding the samsung dick seriously. Look at the problems samsung has had. Galaxy S1 with the gps issues, shit for updates too. OMGWTFBBQSauce it's a LG phone run away, saying that is plain fanboy shit for real.
why people are willing to forgive samsung but not LG? The original galaxy s sucked so much that the galaxy s2 became the top selling Android device?

Keep an open mind! Does even Samsung fans need to copy Sheeples?

I'd wait and see. LG hasn't been known for their high quality Android devices. The few people I know with them all have issues. If the bootloader is unlocked I could care less about LG's severe lack of updates.

I'd wait and see. LG hasn't been known for their high quality Android devices. The few people I know with them all have issues. If the bootloader is unlocked I could care less about LG's severe lack of updates.

I was thinking the same thing, if this is unlocked it has the possibility if being awesome.

Ive handled a couple lg mobiles and there not bad. Im looking forward to this phone

Quit riding the samsung dick seriously.

How about the 9 times I had to exchange my girlfriend's Optimus S because it was a giant pile of shit? Or the 3 LG Thrills I went through in 5 days, which overheated enough to actually burn skin and melt adhesive down the screen?

Before you call someone a fanboy, assess the situation better. I don't even LIKE Samsung much, but it's better than fucking LG. The only thing LG does well are their screens. Battery life, software, usability? All in the shitter.

Edit:

Can we also discuss LG's craptastic update history? (They barely have one)

How about the LG Dev community? Oh wait, none there either... The few who were cooking for the Thrill left almost immediately, and the Nitro never even got a community. There's ONE person sticking by LG, and that's R.C.

one problem is: LG manuf.

This.

When I was on MetroPCS I bought a LG Optimus M...cheap Android phone yes, but within 3 months I went through FIVE of them...all showing the same random reboot issues one after another.

I don't know what it is with LG...but they just CAN NOT seem to make a reliable product. Either way, this doesn't matter as LG might be the first to use this CPU/GPU but other, more reliable, manufacturers will follow.

Not to mention that I'm looking more toward the new Mali T604 which is already going to be way faster than the Adreno 320!

Last edited:
why people are willing to forgive samsung but not LG? The original galaxy s sucked so much that the galaxy s2 became the top selling Android device?

A lot of it comes down to platform issues. LG is wedded to Tegra and seems therefore unlikely to ever produce a device worth paying money for. Samsung provides Tegra as a lower-priced alternative to their flagship phones.

It's not only a matter of platform, though. Samsung released Ice Cream Sandwich for their (Tegra 2) Galaxy R, while LG dropped support for the (Tegra 2) P990 after a long-delayed, initially botched phone-bricking Gingerbread release. Neither of those phones contributed anything positive to the reputation of either company.

Last edited:
How about the 9 times I had to exchange my girlfriend's Optimus S because it was a giant pile of shit? Or the 3 LG Thrills I went through in 5 days, which overheated enough to actually burn skin and melt adhesive down the screen?

Before you call someone a fanboy, assess the situation better. I don't even LIKE Samsung much, but it's better than fucking LG. The only thing LG does well are their screens. Battery life, software, usability? All in the shitter.

Edit:

Can we also discuss LG's craptastic update history? (They barely have one)

How about the LG Dev community? Oh wait, none there either... The few who were cooking for the Thrill left almost immediately, and the Nitro never even got a community. There's ONE person sticking by LG, and that's R.C.

You can say all you want but I have owned a Optimus V, a vortex (optimus on verizon), a friend had a Optimus S, another with the Optimus T and another vortex and nobody had issues. So I am sorry but I call shens on your optimus statement.

I know your not talking about update history, did the original Galaxy S get passed 2.2?

So I am sorry but I call shens on your optimus statement.

I know your not talking about update history, did the original Galaxy S get passed 2.2?

So JoeUser & I, and the thousands of others complaining about LG's build quality are lying? OK, good to know...

And yes, I AM talking about update history. Remember when the Thrill was due to get 2.3 in August of 2011 (LG's time frame), and it came out in march of 2012? The Nitro was supposed to get ICS within "a month or two" of it's December release. It finally came out 2 WEEKS ago.

LG does one thing right: Their displays. The rest of the cell phone division is reminiscent of a bad Three Stooges episode.

Lulz....

Original Galaxy S had an excellent processor, amazing durability, and because of being identical to the Nexus S, the best aftermarket support of almost any single-core Android device...

Lulz....

Original Galaxy S had an excellent processor, amazing durability, and because of being identical to the Nexus S, the best aftermarket support of almost any single-core Android device...

Amazing durability? Did you own one? It felt cheap and vibration crapped out even though I never dropped that thing... Samsung's official roms are pure shit.

Amazing durability? Did you own one? It felt cheap and vibration crapped out even though I never dropped that thing... Samsung's official roms are pure shit.

owned one... dropped all the time... cement, tiles, you name it....never a problem

and yea, other than the uninformed, by and large, owners of the GS1 and 2 have nothing bad to say about them, durability-wise.... other than you anyway.....

Well... dropping does not seem to hurt them that much if they don't crap out magically. The back cover is the largest issue with the phone.

I owned the Epic, and never had much of an issue durability wise. Still, I hated that damn phone. The GPS blew, the SAMOLED looked like a screen door, it was way too thick (I hate physical keypads)... I couldn't wait to get rid of it for the EVO. Still, the GS2 and the Skyrocket were amazing devices, some of the first (along with the Infuse) that I actually enjoyed from Samsung.

I owned the Epic, and never had much of an issue durability wise. Still, I hated that damn phone. The GPS blew, the SAMOLED looked like a screen door, it was way too thick (I hate physical keypads)... I couldn't wait to get rid of it for the EVO. Still, the GS2 and the Skyrocket were amazing devices, some of the first (along with the Infuse) that I actually enjoyed from Samsung.

What about the infuse did you like that you didn't like on a GS1? The infuse was the same phone, same technical specs, except with a much lower PPI, took more than a year longer to come out, and has only a fraction of the dev support....

Galaxy S1 phones are among the only 2 1/2 year old phones that are still pretty much usable, and with *good* implementations of aftermarket firmware that run 4.0 and 4.1....

Well, the Infuse had the better camera, bigger screen, and we were devving on the phone from day 1. It might have been a stopgap phone, but I'll always have fond memories of it.

sure it had a bigger screen, but if you thought the GS1's screen looked like a screen door... looking at the Infuse's must have seemed like a chain link fence....

I dunno, I just never understood the bad rap the GS1's got from certain quarters.... just puzzled I guess.....

By that argument, most LG phone owners also don't complain much about the LG phone...

A lot of it comes down to platform issues. LG is wedded to Tegra and seems therefore unlikely to ever produce a device worth paying money for. Samsung provides Tegra as a lower-priced alternative to their flagship phones.

It's not only a matter of platform, though. Samsung released Ice Cream Sandwich for their (Tegra 2) Galaxy R, while LG dropped support for the (Tegra 2) P990 after a long-delayed, initially botched phone-bricking Gingerbread release. Neither of those phones contributed anything positive to the reputation of either company.

Last time I checked ICS was still not realised on the Galaxy R.

The fact that tons of other phones come up regularly in conversation here and on the android dev forums before anyone puts the letters L-G together is enough of a reason to forget about them IMO. Even a reliable smartphone is only as good to me as its dev community because even the best companies roll out their official updates slower than dirt.

LG hardware is usually up to par with everyone else. It just the software update side of LG that sucks! Owner of G2x and gslate that are both still stuck in last gen android OS :(

Anyways, I'm still excited about this phone as it is the only phone with truly next generation hardware (next gen CPU and GPU). Hopefully LG will tigger all the other manufactures to follow suit.

By that argument, most LG phone owners also don't complain much about the LG phone...

If you are referring to the post above the one I'm quoting.... I'm not sure what you mean...please explain.....

and if you aren't.... you really need to be more specific when you post.....

I seriously doubt that we'll see a quad core Krait phone with Adreno 3xx this year... If anything it might show up as an end of year Nexus device which will see lower volume of sales than a Galaxy/One/EVO so supply will be easier to manage. Dual core Krait supply is still very tight despite seemingly every phone being released with it (there's a reason you aren't seeing it outside the US even tho it's the most efficient SoC in the market, LTE or not).

LG hasn't even brought it's SGS3/One X equivalent to the states yet... In any case, even if it does materialize, the jump from two current gen cores to four and a faster GPU won't be a huge deal outside of gaming... At this point things like quality of the display, software support, and extra features (removable and/or larger battery, expandable storage, kickstands, physical camera buttons) are as valuable as the CPU/GPU.

Megapixel count on the rumored LG's camera sounds impressive on face value but not if it's just noisier or can't replicate some of the other zero shutter lag tricks phones are shipping with. Anyway, I wouldn't wait around too long past September just for this rumor to solidify, or you might as well wait for the new rumored Nexus line that might involve multiple manufacturers.

Still don't care. I won't care until people get their hands on them and we see if LG fixed their issues or not. I'm betting not.
This sound like a really good phone, but I hate LG. waiting for nokia to blow our minds.

This sound like a really good phone, but I hate LG. waiting for nokia to blow our minds.

Other LG phones in the past have sounded like a really good phone as well and all they've done is stunk.

Time will tell. I'd love for LG to get into the thick of things for more competition, but I just don't see it happening.

Will I be pre-ordering this phone prior to any reviews? No!

If we trash a particular brand just because of their past product, there is almost no brands you can buy from! Keep an open mind.

For the most part we are, but you can't say anyone is in the wrong for prior speculation especially based off of a companies past.

If we trash a particular brand just because of their past product, there is almost no brands you can buy from! Keep an open mind.

Every OEM has had a few bad products, but LG has really been the only one to consistently have bad ones (esp. in terms of quality and design) in the smart phone market. I too would love to see this change, but we can only just a brand off of its past products and LG hasn't really had any good ones in the segment.. at all.

Back