So just how bad is raidmax?

ThermoNuke

Weaksauce
So yea, I was on a budget when i built my $1000 rig and made the mistake of putting priority on my other equipment and not my PSU.

Running a RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W

So far the PSU hasnt given me any problems going on 7 months use but at every turn people suggest I make my next purchase a better PSU..

Im needing some better CPU cooling and have been wanting to get into water cooling.. Should these be on the back burner till a new PSU is had?

So, just how BAD is Raidmax? Any horror stories to share?

Thanks.

Considering upgrading to a Corsair 750TX.

I dont know anything about that particular PSU, but I know their 350/380/420 watt PSU's that often were included in cheap $30-50 cases were complete trash.

From what I discovered on a 600W RX-600SS model that's very similar to the RX-730SS, the OEM of that entire Hybrid series is Huntkey. And that 730W unit would be a mediocre 550W unit that can't deliver the full 730W under realistic internal operating temperatures.

In other words, if you paid anywhere near full price for it, you got ripped off. It is worth at most barely over half of what Newegg's regular price of that unit is.

Gotcha, Which would you guys prefer...

Corsair 650hx (650 Watts Single rail 52 Amps Modular) $119.00 (Cleaner Cable Mngmt)
Or
Corsair 750tx (750 Watts Single Rail 60 Amps Non-Modular) $109.00

Will be going in an Antec 300

Depend on what you want, you should be fine with either PSU. They're both really nice PSUs and should last you for quite a while.

Gotcha, Which would you guys prefer...

Corsair 650hx (650 Watts Single rail 52 Amps Modular) $119.00 (Cleaner Cable Mngmt)
Or
Corsair 750tx (750 Watts Single Rail 60 Amps Non-Modular) $109.00

As Uberbob102000 pointed out, the answer to that question is up to you. What matters more to you? Cleaner cable management or more power?

I'd do Antec EA750.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=4097:30089&PropertyCodeValue=4097:43844
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/18/antec_earthwatts_750w_psu_review/9

Matches the price of your cheaper Corsair, has the higher power output, has the modular connectivity of the more expensive one. Passed HardOCP's tests and was awarded silver award.

The EA750 only has 56A on the +12V rail. The 750TX has 60A. So the EA750 does not have a higher power output. In addition, the EA750 is not that good of a buy since for just $4 more (once you factor in shipping), you can get the better quality and higher power output Antec TP-750 Blue PSU:
$120 - Antec Truepower New TP750 Blue 750W PSU

As Uberbob102000 pointed out, the answer to that question is up to you. What matters more to you? Cleaner cable management or more power?

The EA750 only has 56A on the +12V rail. The 750TX has 60A. So the EA750 does not have a higher power output. In addition, the EA750 is not that good of a buy since for just $4 more (once you factor in shipping), you can get the better quality and higher power output Antec TP-750 Blue PSU:
$120 - Antec Truepower New TP750 Blue 750W PSU

What do you think about the Corsair 750TX

With 60 amps on the rail for 109.00 and Corsair quality seems like a steal at that price.
I also like the idea of having a single rail, as opposed to balancing any loads, the computer pulls of one solid source.

With 60 amps on the rail for 109.00 and Corsair quality seems like a steal at that price.

Good value. If you want both high-capacity and a modular or semi-modular cable design you will have to spend quite a bit more money. Danny pointed out the Antec TruePower New 750W Blue as a good example of how much more you have to spend on a semi-modular design and get a slightly better unit in the bargain.

Good value. If you want both high-capacity and a modular or semi-modular cable design you will have to spend quite a bit more money.

Yea thats what im starting to realize.. The modular version of that corsair is an additional forty dollars, they are definitely proud of it.

Heres another question.

Is 25amps per PCI-E rail enough for modern high end cards?

Ive tried to research it and most say 40amps, but are vague on whether thats total amperage or per rail.

Heres another question.

Is 25amps per PCI-E rail enough for modern high end cards?

Ive tried to research it and most say 40amps, but are vague on whether thats total amperage or per rail.

Well that depends on how many PCI-E connectors are put on the rail. If you consider the 6 pin is designed for 6.25A, the 8 pin are designed for 12.5A. You could theoretically have a couple of 6 pin connectors and an 8 pin connector on the same rail and use 25A or less.

I also like the idea of having a single rail, as opposed to balancing any loads, the computer pulls of one solid source.
Good PSU and ok value but I think the Antec is the better PSU and deal overall. It's only $10 more.
Yea thats what im starting to realize.. The modular version of that corsair is an additional forty dollars, they are definitely proud of it.
Well the modular Corsair 750HX is based on a newer and better quality design. So it's not just a Corsait 750TX with modular cables: It's better.

Thats 40A total for the system AND video card.

Corsair 750TX can usually be found at TigerDirect for less than $90, maybe $80 after Bing Cashback and rebates, and usually has free shipping. If you don't live in Florida, Illinois, or (I forget the last state), you don't have to worry about tax, especially if you live in California. You get hit with a nearly 10% tax if you order from Newegg in California.

Well I plunked down on the Antec Truepower New 750w.

Free shipping, semi-modular and a blue led fan that will turn back time sold me on it.
That and its stability as far as voltage on all rails has gotten solid reviews.

So right now im fighting the "I regret spending that money, what I have now works!"...
But I know its for the better :(

Last edited:
Back