So it seems not all Ivy-E's are disapointing overclockers

Tych-0

Gawd
Using a new bios and the RIVE Metalracer over on the techpowerup forums is getting 5.0GHz with minimal voltage, he's even booted at 5.3GHz. Goldenchip perhaps, but the new bios is apparently a huge help in reducing vcore. Check it :

Capture094.jpg

It is my understanding that less than 2% of those processors will do that speed. Maybe retail processors will be different, but I would not expect that this early in the equation from what we have seen from 22nm historically.

ib-e-46-1833stable.png

I'm curious to see how well they can perform with newer revised motherboards. It seems most of the issues so far, are related to bios.

My results were with the ASUS X79-Deluxe, just released, and the latest BIOS available. FWIW, the processor would not POST at 5GHz with a 1.53v vCore.

He's on a single stage...which explain his better than normal results.

What do you mean by "single stage"? exactly..Are you referring to some type of exotic cooling perhaps?:confused::confused:

EDIT: Answered my own question lol..

Still a kick ass o/c, which was what I was hoping for for 9/10 of the retail samples..But I am inclined to believe Kyle at this point..He has been in this game for a LONG time...Then again we can always hold out for a new stepping, but we all saw what vaporware that turned out for IVB and Haswell(so far anyway)..

Heres another Cinebench @5.0 GHz with better memory settings plus one @5.2 GHz.

The beta BIOS I am using is far better than the official 4310.

Capture106.jpg

Capture107.jpg

He's got a golden chip.

I highly doubt chips like his, will be the norm.

Definately A Golden Chip . . . I don't see these chips doing past 45 easily either

I think its too soon to think in a golden chip..

maybe with the time, and with more 4930K in the market we could see more chips like this one.. (well thats a hope more than anything.. but i have faith)...

Heres another Cinebench @5.0 GHz with better memory settings plus one @5.2 GHz.

The beta BIOS I am using is far better than the official 4310.

Did you happen to test the chip with a normal WC setup by chance? I am curious to see exactly how much the exotic cooling is skewing things..Other then that possibility I have to say that is one kick ass friggin chip brother!! And that Vcore!!! My 3770K is also a very low leakage part, does 4.8Ghz @ 1.272 with a 24hr+ stress test on the CPU and GPU (single loop)..

Jesus, 5Ghz at 1.256v is crazy. Did voltage scale pretty linearly up to 5Ghz? It looks like it needs quite a bump after that so is 5Ghz the sweet spot for that chip?

Heh, sorry about ripping your images spacecowboy, just thought it was something that needed to be seen here at the [H] as it's pretty exciting stuff you got going on there. Thanks for sharing more with us. Hoping to see more results like yours from others and I might finally be bothered to upgrade from this 930!

Do you run your SS 24/7, or just for benching? Is it loud? Store bought or home made?

It's not an overclock until it's 24 hours prime stable. Nonetheless quite impressive, but in the end ALL IB-E chips are nerfed 12 core chips. I just can't justify paying 500-999 for Intel's garbage.

It's not an overclock until it's 24 hours prime stable. Nonetheless quite impressive, but in the end ALL IB-E chips are nerfed 12 core chips. I just can't justify paying 500-999 for Intel's garbage.

LOL.. and you say that based in what?. where did you get that info?. Sandy-E was octa core cut-down to hexa... Ivy Bridge-E Its native hexa Core Die...

And I thought I was the misinformed one on PC hardware forums.

As Araxie said Ivy-E is native 6 cores, not a neutered 8 core die like Sandy-E was.

I need to stop looking at this CPU. My 3820 @ 5.0 should last me years, but going back to a 6 core would be nice when it comes to converting files. It's going to take at least 4.8 to make me feel like the switch was worth it, and from my previous experience with Ivy my max was only 4.7 for a 3770k 1.32v on a OC Formula by AsRock.

Haswell-E would be next year, thus you can save some money for 8 core.

True, I don't think I will go Haswell-E as appealing as a 8 core+ddr4 would be and all the other features. Probably stick with my Rampage IV for 3-5 more years as it's more then enough for me, and see what comes out then.

Maybe instead of Ivy-E I'll get another Samsung 512 Pro for RAID.

Back