So I got a DLP HD Projector for .99 cents on Ebay

U.N.inspector

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all.....
So I got a DLP HD Projector for .99 cents on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110220048954

I received it and as describe it did not power up. I opened the case and found the thermal switch popped. I reset the switch and was able to enable power back to the projector. Apparently, someone pulled power from the projector before the lamp cooled completely down popping the thermal switch. I've been watching HD TV all day on the wall getting a feel for my new toy and seems like everything is a-okay. The unit was manufacturered on 12/11/07 and only had 1 hour on the lamp when I received it. Well, now that I've experienced HD movies at 120" projection, I wanna build myself a home theater with this .99 cent wonder. Now, I'm looking for advice on possible screens to buy (pulldown or fixed), home theater receivers or maybe any home theaters in a box. Thanks ahead for anyones input.

U.N.inspector

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dude! That is badass! :cool:

As for a screen, check out AVS forum (and others) for info on how to make your own for cheap.

go to avs and look at the diy screen section... it's not hard to go to lowes and pick up materials for a screen, paint it and you can have a fixed screen for 30 bucks

nice pickup on the marantz though, lol.

Thanks guys.....
It was definately a good find but I'm not a stranger to it...
Right now, I picked up a HP zd7000 laptop for $199 w/ video issues.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190194001974

Low and behold the unit was still covered under HP's warranty so it's another freebie fix.

http://www.zd7000forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6518

For any of you that are wondering how I'm accomplishing this......when on Ebay bookmark yourself your favorite catagory and make sure you look "only" for newly listed items. If you dedicate a couple hours here and there....you'll surely see many of these deals as "Buy it now's". It helps to be tech savy (like I am) but I've managed to get ahold of alot of easy fixes......

Valve/Verge - I'll check AVS. Definately sounds like a good recommendation. It would be funny to complete a whole Home Theater set-up for less than $300. If I end up buying a screen I heard Da-Lite is the best out there for screen manufacturers.

Have to look for a Home Theater receiver too...

U.N.inspector

Da-lite's are good, i believe they also sell paint for DIY people.

Unless you are going crazy or are trying to get a set objective from your screen, i wouldn't spend a whole lot on it. If you are making one to block ambient light, or going to get your projo calibrated for proper coloring it would be one thing... but for most people, some flat white paint will do the trick.

I like blackout cloth as a screen, personally. I'm using some plastic projection screen material from rosebrand at the moment, but the blackout cloth I had before was better.

You just raped the ass of the guy that sold it to you.
No joke. Hell, most acceptable HD projectors start at ~700, this one should have caught about 1000 just broken.... I will buy it for 300.

Looks like tomm, I'm running over to Lowe's to see if this Plas-Tex is as good as everyone in AVS forum is ravin' about. Only thing I'm if-fy about is that the largest size you can make from the Plas-Tex Lowe's piece is a 100" apprx screen. I was hoping for 120" but if the panel is as impressive as I think...I'll settle for the 100".

Anyone have Receiver recommendations? or should I go with a Theater in a box set up?

U.N.inspector

You should hold out for a $0.99 projector screen on ebay.

Rofl......
Eehhhhhhh, it's a slim chance.....lol.

I look for deals in Ebay catagories(aka Electronics, Computers, ect..) not any specific areas.
You take the deals as they come.....Where ever they come from.....

U.N.inspector

Anyone have Receiver recommendations? or should I go with a Theater in a box set up?
It all depends, do you just need a receiver or the whole shebang? And whats your budget either way?

And congrats on the PJ you scored, what a killer deal that turned out to be :)

It all depends, do you just need a receiver or the whole shebang? And whats your budget either way?

And congrats on the PJ you scored, what a killer deal that turned out to be :)

Thanks....... :)

Well, I don't have anything but my brighthouse HD box and my XPS M1710 so I'd probably need the hole shebang...... Due that the projector was sooo cheap, I was willing to spend a few hundred on the screen and $500-$700 on everything else. Guess you can say my budget's 1K. Of course, if I find great solutions such as the Plas-Tex (yet to decide on..), I'll have more $$ for everything else.

U.N.inspector

I've got a Plas-tex screen in my garage and a blackout curtain screen in my HT. I used 1x4 cedar to make the frame for the blackout screen (it was the cheapest, straightest, and lightest wood at HD - who'dathunkit?) I glued the Plastex to a 1/4" plywood substrate - it eventually formed bubbles and the plywood warped slightly. The blackout is as good if not better, is MUCH lighter to handle and mount, and was pretty cheap (about $30-50 to build). Plas-tex at HD/Lowes will limit you to a 48" height, not counting any border overlap. This is about a 94" screen. Blackout cloth is 56" wide, meaning that you can get a practical 52-53" tall screen, which ends up to be about a 106" screen. Congrats on the projector - great find!

Get this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...sem/rpsm/oid/177422/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Best HTIB you can get, for the money. Everything else either the mains suck or the sub sucks.

By far best bang for buck HTIB, also, you can even upgrade the speakers as well, since the receiver has bunches of inputs and bunches of power.
Not a bad idea, here's the same set for $329 + S/H. Most purchasers claim their "refurb" units are actually brand new, or at least unused. Either way accessories4less is an authorized dealer with a good reputation.

Of course you can do a whole lot better, but you'd have to spend a bit more and piece everything out seperately. Op if you're patient enough, do a little research here, and here's the official HTIB alternatives thread. There are plenty of audio deals to be scored.

I've got a Plas-tex screen in my garage and a blackout curtain screen in my HT. I used 1x4 cedar to make the frame for the blackout screen (it was the cheapest, straightest, and lightest wood at HD - who'dathunkit?) I glued the Plastex to a 1/4" plywood substrate - it eventually formed bubbles and the plywood warped slightly. The blackout is as good if not better, is MUCH lighter to handle and mount, and was pretty cheap (about $30-50 to build). Plas-tex at HD/Lowes will limit you to a 48" height, not counting any border overlap. This is about a 94" screen. Blackout cloth is 56" wide, meaning that you can get a practical 52-53" tall screen, which ends up to be about a 106" screen. Congrats on the projector - great find!

I'm a little wet behind the ears on this stuff....
I perked up when you mentioned a 106" screen....
What's this Blackout cloth? and where can I get it?

Thanks ahead for the info...

U.N.inspector

Get this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...sem/rpsm/oid/177422/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Best HTIB you can get, for the money. Everything else either the mains suck or the sub sucks.

By far best bang for buck HTIB, also, you can even upgrade the speakers as well, since the receiver has bunches of inputs and bunches of power.

Thanks....
I'll definitely put it on the top of my my list to stop by and check out......
I have a Circuit City 2 mils away. Hopefully, they'll have a demo on the floor to experience.

U.N.inspector

Not a bad idea, here's the same set for $329 + S/H. Most purchasers claim their "refurb" units are actually brand new, or at least unused. Either way accessories4less is an authorized dealer with a good reputation.

Of course you can do a whole lot better, but you'd have to spend a bit more and piece everything out seperately. Op if you're patient enough, do a little research here, and here's the official HTIB alternatives thread. There are plenty of audio deals to be scored.

Nice.....:)
I can feel the tax refund burning a hole in my pocket as I type this...lol...
Refurb will work as well......I'll still stop by CC to get a feel for the system....
Thanks for the bargain hunting.......

U.N.

Nice.....:)
I can feel the tax refund burning a hole in my pocket as I type this...lol...
Refurb will work as well......I'll still stop by CC to get a feel for the system....
Thanks for the bargain hunting.......

U.N.
NP

Well many have claimed that refurbs from that merchant weren't refurbs at all, they were supposedly brand new units (model liquidation perhaps?). Back in the day though people used to report units that looked like open box, working perfectly of course, maybe missing a cable or something silly. Either way refurbs are highly regarded in the audio community, unlike in the PC community they're considered a great way to maximize the dollar. The best part is the low cost and ability to upgrade individual components. Want to upgrade the speakers? No problem, just swap em out and keep the receiver. Want to try out a new receiver? no problem again, just swap it out and ebay the old one.

If you have the time and patience though maybe give my earlier links some research time, those guys at AVS are always posting great deals on higher-end audio equipment, you never know what you'll stumble across. For example you could plan a build around the Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver and Polk R150's, or the Polk R50 towers, or even the mission M70s. For a sub you could start out with a Dayton Sub-100, or better yet you can make this merchant a "best offer" of $200-$210 + S/H for a Bic H-100 sub.

There's plenty of deals if you know how and where to look around, For example here's a silver Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver for $359 shipped (coupon code = AFL5 ) ;)

I'm a little wet behind the ears on this stuff....
I perked up when you mentioned a 106" screen....
What's this Blackout cloth? and where can I get it?

Thanks ahead for the info...

U.N.inspector

I used the guide shown here. I didn't wrap it as far around as in the example in order to maximize my screen size, but I did end up with a 52" x 92.5" screen resulting in a 106" screen. I'll eventually add a black border which will result in a loss of about 1" on each edge or a 102" diagonal screen. Blackout cloth can be found at any fabric store like JoAnns. It only cost about $8 a yard and I used 3 yards.

If you really want to make a NICE home theater, look at the Magnepan MMGW and MMGC speakers. $900 for a 5 piece set. You might be able to score a good receiver on e-bay (since you're so good there) or a refurbished Onkyo is about $200. Add a 12" subwoofer from Parts Express, or to really take it to the extreme, an infinite baffle! A bit more than you said you wanted to spend, but you would have an INCREDIBLE home theater.

Thanks for all of your input....
I have a long weekend coming up....
Looks like I'll be tossing around all the ideas thus far and decide
which way to go. I must say.....I'm excited...it been my first home theater
setup. Can't thank you guys enough!!!!!

U.N.inspector

Back