So I finally got to demo a vive

bluesynk

Limp Gawd
So I finally made it to the Microsoft store to try it out. I have a gear vr and I've done my homework, so I knew what to look for. Low fov low res screen door. Yep it was all true. As soon as the game started none of it mattered. I was no longer looking through a screen door. Fov was infinite just turn the black circle disappeard. And the whole thing felt very polished. The controllers are super comfy and well made. As soon as I took it off I turned and apologized to my girlfriend for the time and money I'm about to spend.

Congrats and enjoy! It's just very damned cool. After two months I find that I don't spend hours on end with it but I use it constantly and I find I kind of like the simpler stuff, like VRHoops, I can't stop playing that for some reason.

I was actually blown away buy tilt brush. I played raw data after and that was about the coolest thing ever but I still can get over drawing in air.

I am more blown away now then I was before with the Vive, just the opposite of what I expected. For one I am more VR experienced, better balance, less motion sickness (which I didn't have much to begin with) meaning I am enjoying more the games that can be rather harsh (I am just more lucky there). I agree at this stage it is polished and the VR environment gets through well. In the future I see it just doing better as developers get more experience, more of them get involved and also more money is concentrating on a rapid growing segment and hardware is updated with lighter, faster, more mobile, wider and higher resolution headsets.

I am more blown away now then I was before with the Vive, just the opposite of what I expected. For one I am more VR experienced, better balance, less motion sickness (which I didn't have much to begin with) meaning I am enjoying more the games that can be rather harsh (I am just more lucky there). I agree at this stage it is polished and the VR environment gets through well. In the future I see it just doing better as developers get more experience, more of them get involved and also more money is concentrating on a rapid growing segment and hardware is updated with lighter, faster, more mobile, wider and higher resolution headsets.

Sounds good, so from your experience the lower visual quality does not detract in same way it would with a monitor?
Thanks

Excellent! I have not tried a Vive, but they say not much different than a Rift.
It actually is a pretty good workout on some of the games. just don't hit and break your TV like I did. ;)
I know I find it hard going back to a simple flat screen....

Sounds good, so from your experience the lower visual quality does not detract in same way it would with a monitor?
Thanks

Its an eye candy issue. Sure if you are still and lay down and look at a rock (you can) it will not look great. However vs a monitor the environment is much more dynamic ie. less time to see the errors. The shear amount of things in the environment around you (in a full 360 3d environment) minimizes your ability to notice these things. I think because your brain is already good at taking fuzzy 3d images and "Cleaning them up" (Eyeballs leave lots of holes and you nose blocks stuff)

This is sure to be a personal type thing. Im a 3d spacial thinker to start and ive always been an AA>RES>FPS gamer. I dont think CS players with 144hz screens that play on low detail/no aa for more fps and bit accurate timing would feel the same.

Thats good to hear and something I never really appreciated as a possibility with VR.
Thanks.

The only place the lower visuals bothered me was Trials of Tattoonie. The screen door effect was bad because it's desert.

Games that are darker you really don't notice.

Thanks
Visual quality on certain things as in depth, sense of environment is untouched by anything else outside of VR. Pixel density is indeed lower and farther away stuff will definitely be less defined but in most games you are dealing with closer stuff which can be rather well defined. You also need a system that will allow you to clean up the VR as in higher res textures, AA and super sampling can help. For like Serious Sam series VR MSAA works great without having to have that SSAA blur. Still I use 150% rendering which then is converted to resolution of the headset - some use 200% if they have the performance.

(talking non VR here) I think each person is different in what they can tolerate etc. I can game just fine at 30fps if it is consistent - I like 60fps or faster but I can ignore the lower frame rates. I also can accept some tearing - prefer not having it - others that is not acceptable. What gets me more is lack of color, that usually I can tell right off - any TN panel I've seen is just darn right weak and I do not like. I think color could be improve in the headsets as a note. In VR you want good hardware as much as you can afford, smooth 90fps is most preferred while reprojection I notice right off the bat (you can't help it) it is something I can tolerate - except I don't have to since my system does well enough to keep it out of reprojection most of the time. There is a big difference in minimum VR with reprojection and maxed out VR so beware. Everyone will have to experience and do what they can to maximize their experience.

Now you know you got something hot when you can't wait to put on the headset again and think about future episodes ;)

So I finally made it to the Microsoft store to try it out. I have a gear vr and I've done my homework, so I knew what to look for. Low fov low res screen door. Yep it was all true. As soon as the game started none of it mattered. I was no longer looking through a screen door. Fov was infinite just turn the black circle disappeard. And the whole thing felt very polished. The controllers are super comfy and well made. As soon as I took it off I turned and apologized to my girlfriend for the time and money I'm about to spend.
Same conceptions I had before. The immersion is so complete that you don't care. The first time I fired up EVE Valkyrie I was giggling the entire time and then 3 hours of my life suddenly disappeared. The only thing I wasn't prepared for is the buildup of condensation on the lenses...

Back