So, I broke a cpu pin...

Strykar

Limp Gawd
I am sending the cpu to motherboardrepair to hopefully get it repaired, but if it can't be fixed.. I'm looking for recommendations.

I don't quite want to do a full blown upgrade yet and would rather wait for AM2. I'm more than likely going to try an eBay off my current 512MBx2 of BH-5 and just order 1GBx2 of Corsair value or something similar. My main complaint with the current setup was that it tended to be a little slower with switching between applications with a game running and loading large areas in World of Warcraft. Do you think another 3000+ would be sufficient with the 2GB of ram or would something with a little more L2 be a better recommendation?

I repeat, I do not want to spend tooo much on this since I am planning for a full upgrade when AM2 comes out, so X2 is pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

Do you have any pictures?

Several of the pins on a CPU are ground, and if you're lucky, maybe you only broke one of those. It should work perfectly fine with a missing ground pin.

Kevlarman said:
Do you have any pictures?

Several of the pins on a CPU are ground, and if you're lucky, maybe you only broke one of those. It should work perfectly fine with a missing ground pin.

No, I do not get video after breaking this pin though, which is why I'm sending it off.

Do they guarantee their work on CPU pins? I'd just as soon buy a new/used processor than go through that mess to try and fix your old one if you broke pins off of it.

kirbyrj said:
Do they guarantee their work on CPU pins? I'd just as soon buy a new/used processor than go through that mess to try and fix your old one if you broke pins off of it.

You would if it's like an FX-60!

kirbyrj said:

If he doesn't fix it, you don't pay labor.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure. That's the first place I've seen that does that kind of thing (never looked though :) ).

I guess the 3000+ with 2gb ram would be ok... Just oc the 3000+

Their is a rumored AMD Price hike in the next few months...

Jump on the new 060x stepping Opterons, they seem to be fairing well. The 0608's and 0609's in dual-core flavor seem to be doing very nicely. :cool:

How do Opterons fare on stock settings in games? As I said above, I do not overclock, but if the advantage is THAAAT great, I could probably give it a shot :p

Well, my Opteron 165 is stock @ 1.8GHz per-core. Last night I was Prime95'ing it (stock voltage) @ 2.75GHz...one core failed 7 hours in, so I dropped it a notch and am re-testing. With 1.4v it holds 2.8GHz with no problem, and has a little headroom...a 1+GHz OC on dual cores is definately worth it, imo. :) But if you're not going to overclock, then it doesn't really matter what stepping/week you get, they'll all perform the same.

I don't fold or anything though :-/ I would think my video card would bottleneck me before my cpu anyways.

get a venice here on the FS FT fourm for $100 and get on w/ business. OC it to like 2.6 or 2.7... it is really easy if you read. get an XP-90 w/ a good 92mm fan and be done with it. 3000+ venices are going for around $100 i even saw one sold for $90 2 days ago. Dont spend anymore than that if this is your second 939

JMO

I woulda thrown the bitch in and tried it first to be honest. :D Ok, maybe not. It is a last resort though. OnepageBook over at XS knocked off 7. No problem!! :D That's lucky to knock off seven pins that weren't essential.

If you plan to keep the platform, go with a Venice core 939 and hope you get a good stepping.

My recommendation, though, is to lose the Neo2 Plat and grab a DFI LanParty Ultra D or one of their SLI units. You'll get higher front side bus for sure, which will be important for the lower-multiplier A64s.

texuspete00 said:
I woulda thrown the bitch in and tried it first to be honest. :D Ok, maybe not. It is a last resort though. OnepageBook over at XS knocked off 7. No problem!! :D That's lucky to knock off seven pins that weren't essential.

As stated above, I did try and didn't get video. I have cross tested all of the remaining hardware to be functional though.

kunsunoke said:
If you plan to keep the platform, go with a Venice core 939 and hope you get a good stepping.

My recommendation, though, is to lose the Neo2 Plat and grab a DFI LanParty Ultra D or one of their SLI units. You'll get higher front side bus for sure, which will be important for the lower-multiplier A64s.

You're recommending me to get a new cpu, motherboard and video card, do you realize this?

I would prefer not to overclock as I've never seen any noticable improvements in a gaming atmosphere. I have a low speed XP-120 fan, I prefer my system to be quiet. I'm just going to grab a Venice and grab 2GB of Corsair/Crucial value ram.

*edit* Fuck, I'm strongly considering a 4400+ Toledo again... can anyone help sway me either way? :p

*edit2* An even better idea seems to be to sell my remaining parts and make a full upgrade..

Haha...dual core all the way :). There are a lot of cheap PCIe video solutions available especially with the release of the 7900 and 7600 series from Nvidia. But at this point, I'd probably just hold out for AM2 rather than upgrade what you have now to a 4400+.

Blah, I don't know what to do.. keep changing my mind. The 3000+ is over $300 cheaper, but dual 1MB cores are so hott. Paired with the 2GB of ram, I would think that I'd be happy for a long time even well after AM2 drops. I've never been an early conformer to that sort of thing anyways.

Just get a 165. Dual cores with 1MB cache each, and only like $275 OEM from Monarch right now with the [H] coupon. :cool:

That's pretty sweet awesome. What's the signifficant difference in Opterons and X2 anyways? Just OC better?

no difference just marketed different unless you compare the opterons all have 1meg per core cache were some x2's just have 512, go opteron as they seem to overclock higher. :D

Strykar said:
That's pretty sweet awesome. What's the signifficant difference in Opterons and X2 anyways? Just OC better?
also, the Opteron's are a "beefier" cpu....they go through much more rigorous QA testing than the X2's would....they also come with a better cooler than the X2's....but if you go oem you obviously wouldn't get the new one :p

Actually, the X2's come with the same cooler as the Opterons, with the exception of the X2 3800+, which gets a crappy cooler (stock A64 one) for some reason. And performance wise, it'll be about the same performance of an X2 3800+ @ stock, with the X2 being a smidge faster. Also the Opteron might run a bit warmer due to the extra cache, but the newer Opteron dual-core steppings are good stuff.

Back