So I am a mod now....

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I frequent this forum alot and asked Kyle if I could be a moderator. I wanted to get a litlte more active with making threads sticky to try to consolidate 40 threads with the same thing.

Do you guys have any requests ideas for this forum? I figured Untangle is getting pretty popular here, we can merge and make a master thread, as well as other open source firewall.

Etc, etc.

Start something and I will sticky it =)

Dunno if those topics come up much but sure.

In my opinion these topics pop up here a lot:

- Certification Path (Network+ vs CCNA, etc, how to take it, etc)
- Firewall devices (untangle and making PC a router and such)
- VPN/remote access seems to pop up once in a while..

I guess that's it..
congrats on being a mod, please change your title so I know who I'm speaking with :p

Yes, YeOld, can you start a nice Untangle thread ? YOU seem to be the best at it so far, once it's started i can help out, and also ask Proactivens.

J

I'm glad to do it if it's wanted, however...dunno if the site overall wants to have the appearance of favoritism/fanboyism of a certain product.

can you delete my infraction from the net pics 2011 thread? lol, I guess I pushed Kaos just a little too far.

I was going to just merge those threads.

YeOlde I thought of the same, I did add the Open Source to the list. Whatever other people want we can do. I just see a lot of what specs for untangle to use, so could be could to consolidate.

Lets see what others say.

The "Which SoHo router should I buy?" thread should get restickied, and yes I agree that we need a sticky for Open source firewalls / will my hardware be good enough to run a "x" appliance.

Gratz on the Mod status though!

i added the list of do it yourself router distros, and the remote support.

the only thing i see wrong with teh open source firewall distro at the top is it will probably stop having content, where it seems like most of the people are following the trend with Untangle and can keep that going.

Up to the forum tho

I'm glad to do it if it's wanted, however...dunno if the site overall wants to have the appearance of favoritism/fanboyism of a certain product.

We could start a thread of recommended firewalls etc and then have a link in there for your Untangle stuff, that way that page can be used as references for different products.

dont think I can make one of those, I will create the other sticky threads over the weekend, friday gotta relax in a bit

I'd like to see more threads hat offer tips/tricks for active directory/wsus/user reports/hardware/etc.

can you delete my infraction from the net pics 2011 thread? lol, I guess I pushed Kaos just a little too far.

Mods can't remove infractions. If it's really that big of a deal, you could PM an administrator and make your case. But it expires pretty quickly anyway, so, is it worth poking the sleeping bears over? Your call ;)

can we get a VoIP subforum?

Another request that would have to be made with a higher up, this one with Kyle himself. I don't really frequent this area enough to know whether the amount of VoIP traffic warrants a subforum, but, I'm going to guess that would be a big no. Looking at the past few pages, I only see few and far between VoIP topics :)

People wanting stickies, start the thread we will sticky them. Yeolde does the best example for this, creates the initial list and topic starts

+1 on the congrats marley. Nice to have a mod that actually frequents around here.

This would be neat. I source out all of the telephone stuff but it's something I'd like to get to know more about so I do not have to lean on a 8-4 person working remotely at $135/hr.

So I started thinking about all this, I have no problem making the sticky for the threads that you guys want.

So cyron wants a certification thread. If he wants to start the first thread, like the other ones are, I will sticky it. Certification isn't really my expertise so I am not to sure what to write for the first post. But if you want to create one I will sticky it. I do agree it would be good to have one of those.

Now to the sub forums. My only concern with that is this forum is pretty small in terms of threads/response a day. If we create multiple sub forums, it may seem smaller/slower in that respect.

So I am not sure where the rest of the forum wants to go.

I was thinking if we did do subforums, which we have to ask Kyle we could do like:
LAN/WAN - this could have all the open source firewals, router requests, wireless, bridges, vpn, etc
VOIP/MULTIMEDIA - not sure how big this will get
NAS/SAN - (maybe merge something with the disk forum
Maybe Career - not sure a better title, this could have certification, IT resume, "what job should I go for", or even just where a bunch of us consultants talk shop or something
Security - SSL, AV, etc, etc.
But again, having 5 sub forums, may slow this forum down. And make the forum look cheap as most of the threads in the main forum will be not higher end, or stuff about how to clean up spyware over and over.

If we don't do that what I was thinking, would require me to stay more on top of good posts, but for the Open Source firewall thread we can keep that sticky, and then when we have a good Untangle thread about hardware select, etc, we can add that to the first page.

So give me some ideas about that and I will get working on Monday at some things.

Last edited:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414407&highlight=dynagen

not sure why it was unsticked? but it had around 20k views :)

hasn't been posted that much in. lets wait for some more feedbacks for the sticky threads and such, maybe we need to just link that in a bigger thread?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/

I like how they do all the sub forums. Could be good to take the main forums and make them over here. I also wouldn't mind having a dedicated Network FS/FT. I dont know bout the rest of the guys here, but some jobs I go on and replace stuff I aquire some networking gear that I dont use but others may (for example Ruckus wireless I have 2 of these, RD1000 USB, LTO drives, etc, etc)

I like the idea of a dedicated Fs/Ft forum. I could see lots of people enjoying that.

What about a wireless sticky or something?

just a piece of advice, people WILL ignore stickies when theres a bunch of them... I generally make threads and then make one "master sticky" that references all the threads...

only Kyle can do this, and generally it will only happen during a (major) forum upgrade

Kyle said not enough traffic for thesubforums.

I think I will sticky those subforum titles as thread and link.to useful threads. Cool with you guys? Or do you just want to keep a few stcky and thats it

Back