8gb (4 x 2gb) ddr3 ram @ 7-7-7-27
amd hd5850
65gb 10k velociraptor
1.5tb wd caviar green
asus dvd-rw
4x 120mm case fans
1x 240mm case fan

:)

(I actually had to disconnect the dvd-rw drive to stop having lockups in windows)

Fairly bad. You're getting dangerously closer and closer to killing that PSU outright and possibly your PC as well.

:(

So what wattage (or specific new psu) would you recommend for my setup?

(I would just probably scavenge for a used psu in FS/FT Forums btw)

That PSU is fine.

It's obviously not if he's getting lockups. He's running an overclocked processor at a raised voltage, a high end graphics card, a high rpm hard drive, and a 240mm fan. He's only got 30a on the 12v rail to spread between all of those with that PSU...

15a for the graphics card
7a for a stock 80w X2 at 3.2GHz
2a for the drives
2a for the 120mm fans (average)
1a for the 240mm fan (guessing)

Total 27a,

That's 90% of the power supplies available 12v capacity before he even overclocks the processor.

Thats cutting it pretty close. Pickup a larger corsair and sell your current one to someone who has less demanding equipment. I would say 500+ as mentioned earlier in the thread.

:(

So what wattage (or specific new psu) would you recommend for my setup?

(I would just probably scavenge for a used psu in FS/FT Forums btw)
These:
$70 - Seasonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W PSU
$85 - Seasonic S121II 620 620W PSU
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU

After seeing this build have a quad core at 4.2ghz and a GTX480, all on a quality 400w PSU, it's easy to see most people over estimating how much power they need.

After seeing this build have a quad core at 4.2ghz and a GTX480, all on a quality 400w PSU, it's easy to see most people over estimating how much power they need.

The problem is that quality 450W PSUs costs just as much as quality 520W to 650W PSUs. So why pay for a lower wattage PSU when you can get a larger PSU for the same price?

....it's easy to see most people over estimating how much power they need.

*sigh* Yeah, because if it works for you, and it works for him, it must be perfectly safe. :rolleyes: No system has died because the PSU was a little bigger than actually needed. However systems have died because they didn't have big enough PSUs.

However I have to wonder about the comment about having to disconnect the DVD drive to stop the lock-ups. That systems does need a bigger PSU, but I wonder if there is an issue with the DVD drive.

I think if the system was stock, it would be fine. Methinks the overclocking and overvolting would be the issue. Of course getting a psu with a full 12v rail using DC-DC would be better.

You may be able to get more out of your OC's with a better PSU. Having strong, stable voltages is a prerequisite for getting a good OC. I had a Phenom II 555 that would hit 4GHz on my antec TP-750, or BFG 1000w, but when I tried powering it with a 500w basic PSU, I had to back it down below 4GHz, I tried bumping core voltage, but even with a good bit more voltage in BIOS, I couldn't stabilize it at 4GHz.

Get a nice PSU, it'll help now, and hopefully you'll be able to use it in your next system.

Back