[H]F Junkie
AMD athlon x2 4200+ windsor
Foxconn 690g matx mobo
nsk2400(soon to have my cm690 back)
2x2gb patriot ddr2 800
36gig raptor OS
400gig seagate storage
sata dvd rom
465w enermax 20 pin psu(soon to replace with 750w pcp&c)
xp pro
turtle beach sound card and m-audio av40s
17" dell crt
ibm ps/2 keyboard
logitech mx510
logitech momo wheel

those are my current specs. i have a 754/939/940 copper thermaltake hsf thats like a bigger oem version, but its keeping me at 28c/24c at idle for core 0 and 1. thats stock 2.2ghz at 1.2v. Not too bad for a htpc case.

anyway, i plan to go i7 in 6-12 months and want this rig to last me. i have a 8800gts 512 thats going in when i get the new psu, hope to be this week. also, probably install vista bizniz. should I opt $10 bucks and get the 64 bit disks? is it really worth it?

but is there anything i can do to make my computer experience better for the next year or less? the psu would go on to the next rig, as well as the speakers. everything else would have to be replaced.

budget is $200 or less! preferably less! thanks guys

Get 64 bit disks for sure. Otherwise you are hitting a RAM ceiling.

I had trouble with 64bit compatibility so that was out the door for me. You're not gonna notice the "ram ceiling" with that set up anyways. People will disagree but I can't "feel" (luls) a damn difference between 4 and 2GB for my 32bit. Why bother with a new OS anyways, dx10?

I'd hold off on upgrading to Vista if you don't mind only being able to use 3 to 3.5GB of RAM. Save Vista key/CD for the new PC. You're really not missing anything with XP unless you want to be able to use all 4GB of RAM or like the U.I better. Also, are you getting Vista Business for free or something? Otherwise, are you actually gonna use the security and backup features of Vista Business?

I'd hold off on upgrading to Vista if you don't mind only being able to use 3 to 3.5GB of RAM. Save Vista key/CD for the new PC. You're really not missing anything with XP unless you want to be able to use all 4GB of RAM or like the U.I better. Also, are you getting Vista Business for free or something? Otherwise, are you actually gonna use the security and backup features of Vista Business?

i have both vista business and basic upgrades already. They can be installed fully using a guide on this site, ive done it in the past and really like the UI much much better, which is why i plan to go vista route.

i have both vista business and basic upgrades already. They can be installed fully using a guide on this site, ive done it in the past and really like the UI much much better, which is why i plan to go vista route.

All righty then. Then I fully recommend going 64bit then. Might as well be able to use all that RAM, right?

but is there anything else i can do for under $200? i was thinking a monitor might improve my experience, but for $200 prob cant get much.

Oh and whats this i hear about vista not working with vga or something? or something about not being able to set refresh rates?

it seems i can get a 22" lcd, but, if i wanna keep it for the next rig im probably gonna want to get a 24", can those be had for $200, used or something? or would i be better with a better cpu? i basically game but will probably be doing some vhs to dvd stuff so encoding will be happening for about 1-200 hours of video.

What you could do is just save the money and put it towards the new build. 24" for $200, possible but like slickdealers will tell you, dig and hunt like the rest of us. 22" for $200 totally doable.

is the V2400W worth a few extra bucks? i can get a refurb for under $300

Over a what? The V2400W looks good so if you care about that then um yea. I bought many monitors before getting hitched with the Gateway cuz they look fucking awesome. Not all about practicality :D

well vista 32 wont install. I think its the onboard video and i remember this happening before. Guess I'll need a new psu so i can put the 8800gts back in place. oh well.

well vista 32 wont install. I think its the onboard video and i remember this happening before. Guess I'll need a new psu so i can put the 8800gts back in place. oh well.

Remove one of the sticks of RAM then try to install.

Bet it's something to do with EIDE and ASCI or whatever JFUDSNFKJDSNFIIAIAIAIAIAA. When you clear cmos/reset to default and boot, is there some option that says something similar to the above? Cuz you need to leave it at IDIDEE if it gives you that option.

At which point does it not install.. Does it just hang there forever at the last bit before completion?

sorry I guess I should have made myself more clear. IT FINISHES the install, its on the first boot where if im lucky i get to where it says "windows starting for the first time" and then BSODS right after i see the mouse cursor with a DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something along those lines.

1st google search says "Loosen the memory timings" if you played with it. Set it back to auto if you're running stock; is it o/ced?

and when if it does shit on you again, take a piccy! easy to find out wtf is happoninnnn' with the full error screen.

well my ram was set to auto and i had changed it after these errors to factory spec and upped them from 1.8v to 2.1v. still didnt help. Nah it isnt oced at all. like I said, I really think its the onboard video. If I remember correctly, it happened before and would need the 8800gts and it would crash right when vista was gonna load the graphic part of boot(basically the logon screen)

I'll play with it more tomorrow and try to grab a pic.

i JUST bought the m-audio av40's and they sound great. Speakers I do not need. thanks though, but maybe a xfi gamer card?

since I need the psu asap, and dont have the money for the 750 silencer yet, I'm just gonna get a cheaper one. which of these is better value?

antec 500w basiq - $30
antec 550w neopower - $50

Umm, I don't mean to break your heart or anything, but neither of those PSUs is particularly awesome, at least from my experience. I've heard many users complain about the Basiqs, and the Neopowers are even worse. Spend a little more cash and buy a little bit better PSU. I recommend the middle to high end Antecs. This is the PSU that I would use if I was building a new system, only because it's definitely the best bang for the buck, IMO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Again, it's just personal preference, but from what I've read, and what I've experienced with the neopowers personally, I would buy the above PSU, assuming a budget of around $75ish, but if you absolutely must spend less, then do some shopping around on newegg, and see what gets good reviews in your price range. But for only a few dollars more, the EA650 is a much better PSU.Just to give you a little background, I built me and my brother identical computers, both equipped with 350w NeoPower PSUs, and mine went through three, while his went through 4. Neither one was particularly stressed, as they were both running fairly low-spec components.

This post is plenty long enough, just wanted to give you some background why I think NeoPowers have iffy quality.

this pc doesnt need a lot of power. it was running fine on a 380w antec until I was careless and broke the psu. I havent heard much bad about either of these psus, in fact i have heard good?

this pc doesnt need a lot of power. it was running fine on a 380w antec until I was careless and broke the psu. I havent heard much bad about either of these psus, in fact i have heard good?

TheLordsServant wasn't saying that you needed more power. He was saying that you needed better QUALITY power. The Basiq line of PSUs are POS. Avoid as much as possible. As for the Neopower 550, it is Seasonic made so it should be of decent quality. I don't know what to say about TheLordsServant going through 7 Neopower besides make the far out guess that those Neopower 350W may not have been Seasonic made.

With that said, I recommend taking a look at the Earthwatts EA500 for $50:
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU - $50

Delta made and of very decent quality judging from the review of it's bigger brother, the EA650, also Delta made.

... 350w NeoPower PSUs, and mine went through three, while his went through 4. Neither one was particularly stressed, as they were both running fairly low-spec components. ...

Are you sure they were NeoPower 350W PSUs? I didn't know Antec made a NeoPower at 350W. I know they make a 380W, and those should be good quality since Seasonic makes their NeoPower lineup. I have 5x 380W Earthwatts, which are also made by Seasonic, and they work great, too (yes, mine are all pre-delta).

I'd be more scared of the Basiq line (lowest lineup) than the NeoPower. Until the Signature and Quattro units, Neo's were Antec's highest lineup.

ok well not exactly performance increases but I couldnt resist some things. I picked up an antec three hundred case, antec neopower 550w, and a xigmatek hdt-d1264. the case is really nice, and the hsf seems alright, much better at least than what I had, and maybe something I can reuse on another build. :)

of course pics!

excuse the monitor, little bit embarrassing lol

PICT0681.jpg

PICT0680.jpg

PICT0682.jpg

PICT0686.jpg

little problem. temps!

stock volts(this is a 1.25v cpu) i load up at about 40c. but, when i decide to start ocing, as in 1.375v and 2.5ghz, load temps actually shot up to 95c! is it just too much for this hsf I bought or what? I reseated it and i thought i was fine since stock was loading 40, which seemed low to me, but I was shocked to see 70c after 5 minutes, and then 95 after ten!

What model cooler is that?
What are you ambient temps?
Is smartfan/Cool'n'Quiet enabled in the BIOS?
When you re-seated the HSF, did you notice if the TIM pattern on the chip/HSF was good (did it cover a good portion of the CPU IHS)?

i got the hdt-1264 xigmatek.

ambient is < 30, about 27-29

cooln quiet is disabled

when i reseated, it was apparent that the dab in the center spread, but only covered a small portion of the cpu, so therefore a manually spread the TIM (as5) before reapplying the heatsink. I did so with the end of a pen(not the writing end) which usually works well for me. it was covered evenly and fully. the heatsink is down tight, and is not willing to wiggle much with the clamp down.

Back