So [H]orde, what are your upgrade plans?

Oh, and as for my upgrade plans, I'll be bringing an SR-2 rig online in the next couple of months and retiring my dedicated X6/dual 295 rig. Need to get the electricity bill under control.

As many of you know, I fall in the middle of the road. I'm not a hardcore point monger like musky, SazanEyes, et al. (although I probably would be if I could afford it). However, I am not a strict "for the science" masochist either. Much like Sazan, I use distributing computer projects as an excuse to run as many boxen as I can because it is fun managing them all and running a small network.

From the science aspect, I try to run as much variety of clients as I can and I'm also a beta tester for Pande Group on new WUs before they are released to advmethods. Beta testing often results in lower overall PPD, not a gain in PPD like some people think so there is my contribution to science. Then for points, I try to maximize all the systems I have in order to complete and return the WUs as fast as possible.

Tobin, if you still want that Athlon XP system shoot me a PM and we'll work out a time to meet up.

Just pitching in to say that I would gladly forego the points system if we got detailed feedback on the science. Points won't cure people or lead to new knowledge :)
Although I wholeheartedly agree with you on a fundamental level, F@H would not have been where it is today without the points system. Hardly any DC project worth its effort could advance beyond incipient stages without an incentives program. One cannot be so easily excised from the other, they are inseparable twins.

Points is what drives the project when we endeavor to better our personal accomplishments through upgrades and system purchases, when rival teams contend to outproduce one another through rank advancement or annual competitions and with the introduction of new projects with high rewards for their completion. It is the fuel in the engine that drives this vehicle without which there would be no progress, no science and no betterment from all the research that we have witnessed for nearly a decade.

OK there is a lot of debate about the points system at the moment so i just want to share this with you:-http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10534#p103791

Its a blog post from Dan ensign (PG member) regarding his thoughts on the points system and throws some light on what he thinks of it all, and it is an old post but still valid i think.:)

(there's also a bonus in it if you like cooking):D

Although I wholeheartedly agree with you on a fundamental level, F@H would not have been where it is today without the points system. Hardly any DC project worth its effort could advance beyond incipient stages without an incentives program. One cannot be so easily excised from the other, they are inseparable twins.

Points is what drives the project when we endeavor to better our personal accomplishments through upgrades and system purchases, when rival teams contend to outproduce one another through rank advancement or annual competitions and with the introduction of new projects with high rewards for their completion. It is the fuel in the engine that drives this vehicle without which there would be no progress, no science and no betterment from all the research that we have witnessed for nearly a decade.

Oh, I completely agree and even to me the points are an incentive. Plus it's fun to compete with people regardless of the manner. It's definitely a more useful competition than playing a game of soccer or so. Nobody is going to get cured thanks to it :p

Back