So [H]orde, what are your upgrade plans?

yeah all my boxen run Linux, spare some old 32bit only machines.

Normally I dont have access to windows OS's in my lab but our MS rep gave me a copy of 2008 R2 for dev use so I'm good to go now.

now if I can just find a windows OC tool for the Nehalem's and I'll be all set

now if I can just find a windows OC tool for the Nehalem's and I'll be all set
There are several OC tools for Windows but seeing how these are servers, I don't think you can adjust the frequencies unless you're referring to the turbo (don't know much about Nehalem). Best of luck with the install.

my upgade looks a little something like this.:cool:

av0j7p.jpg

There are several OC tools for Windows but seeing how these are servers, I don't think you can adjust the frequencies unless you're referring to the turbo (don't know much about Nehalem). Best of luck with the install.

I'd like to see what I can do, these servers are normally pretty solid rigs.

I've got coretemp running on the two that are finished, think I'm gonna have to put some AS5 on those heatsinks, temps look nasty lol

Since I am in an endless stream of no -bigadv being assigned to me.. after loosing a 2684 at 45% and another at 18%... nothing right now..

..Yeah I'm pissy about it :(

I'm very tempted to grab an X6, but this late into the game I'm probably just going to wait for Bulldozer.

Would you say an X4 630 would out fold an unlocked X3 720 clock for clock? Just curious how much the L3 effects the performance since my 630 can't unlock its L3. I can't get either chip to OC past 2.9 with a dual fan Xig for some reason. Tried on two different mobos, just no luck at all when it comes to the OC lottery.

clock for clock it will be equal.. L3 cache has no effect really on folding for AMD processors..

probably need more voltage but both chips should go well into the 3ghz range on stock voltage.. if ya need help overclocking it let me know.. been an AMD user and overclocker since the athlon XP days..

I'm linking mine.....

Still haven't played a game on it though.

I had to talk myself into it. Told myself I'd be play to play all my games smoother (currently on a geforce 7700 go on a laptop), but I know it'll be a dedicated folding rig. :p

I wish I could help you but I have no experience and my knowledge is limited to second-hand info. Maybe Kendrak, musky or jebo who have extensive experience with the newer Xeons can give you a hand...?

I've got coretemp running on the two that are finished, think I'm gonna have to put some AS5 on those heatsinks, temps look nasty lol
Yes, it's always good to use a top TIM even if running at stock speeds.

Xeons get just as hot as the i7s (only there are 2 of them) when you start OC-ing

Good HSF and extra fans are needed.

the machines I'm playing with right now are 2nd hand HP DL380 G6's with dual X5560's (2U chassis)

massive airflow right in front of the Heatsinks but I'm still looking at low 80's reported by CoreTemp, not sure if the server is reporting it accurately or not. I'll get iLO configured and se what it thinks the temps are.

I know from previous times they have TIM on the proc's but who knows what sort of quality it is. It's random silver looking goop, and last time it was really thick, maybe too thick *shrug*

too much tim can be an insulator, seen it before on prefabs

As for the heat issue, the 5560's are top line, but even at that they should run cooler than our 5530's OC'd to 3.9ghz. You sure airflow isnt the problem? a 2U cant have all that much room

Since I am in an endless stream of no -bigadv being assigned to me.. after loosing a 2684 at 45% and another at 18%... nothing right now..

..Yeah I'm pissy about it :(

After losing both 2684's, did you try going with more conservative settings? The other thing to watch for is to keep an eye on whether you are dropping below the 80% sucessful completion requirement in order to continue recieving bonuses. 2684's are absolutely rock solid stable ever since bigadv came to windows. They suck, but they are rock solid stable.

My god. I just bought another i7 rig. I justified it by telling myself that I am selling off my current desktop machine to cover some of the expense. I need an intervention.

No, it's the norm around here. I just listed up a bunch of stuff for sale myself, trimming away all the excess I dont run 24/7 so I can make more long term friendly upgrades (like the SR2 was)

My god. I just bought another i7 rig. I justified it by telling myself that I am selling off my current desktop machine to cover some of the expense. I need an intervention.

Dude..........you want intervention?

You are currently smoking a delicious joint at the joint smoker's convention and you want intervention? LOL! :D

were all junkies here, no 12 step or support here. Just dont sell your car to buy a few SR2s

while that's very [H]ard, its not very smart...

I'll forget all about the cost when my next bigadv drops in about 30 minutes. :)

were all junkies here, no 12 step or support here. Just dont sell your car to buy a few SR2s

while that's very [H]ard, its not very smart...

The interesting thing is that i've been debating whether I should sell off my XFX 5850 BE's in my gaming rig to put in a fund towards getting a Gulftown for folding1. I barely game these days, and can't even remember the last time i've gamed on my PC lately. I could still command a premium for them since they have that XFX double lifetime warranty that is transferrable just one time.

I'll forget all about the cost when my next bigadv drops in about 30 minutes. :)

You are lucky. My next bigadv won't be dropping until sometime tomarrow, although both folding1 and folding2 should be dropping one tomarrow.

Congrats on your new rig. Which i7 did you go with?

Or you could sell off the 5850's and snag a pair of 460's, you'd gain a slight advantage in gaming and add like 20k to your ppd, much more than those 5850's could ever get ya

Or you could sell off the 5850's and snag a pair of 460's, you'd gain a slight advantage in gaming and add like 20k to your ppd, much more than those 5850's could ever get ya

My gaming rig is a Crossfire only motherboard. The 790XTA chipset is able to do a single nVidia video card, but not SLI.

The other thing is that i'm not sure GPU folding is right for me. That would be a significant increase in electricity consumption. Funding a Gulftown upgrade for folding1 would actually significantly increase production while using almost the same amount of juice. Even though that is the case, i'm still holding out hoping that we will actually get a decent Stanford GPU client for ATI video cards someday.

The interesting thing is that i've been debating whether I should sell off my XFX 5850 BE's in my gaming rig to put in a fund towards getting a Gulftown for folding1. I barely game these days, and can't even remember the last time i've gamed on my PC lately. I could still command a premium for them since they have that XFX double lifetime warranty that is transferrable just one time.
If you hardly ever game, definitely sell those cards and replace them with a better processor. The longer you wait the less they'll be worth when you finally decide to sell.

Even though that is the case, i'm still holding out hoping that we will actually get a decent Stanford GPU client for ATI video cards someday.
I was folding on video cards since GPU 1. Speculation about a better Ati client was being discussed since then. We're talking at least three years and perhaps more. No new indications have arisen this year to shed light whether the status quo has changed to any appreciable degree.

My next upgrade comes int he form of a 1090T with 2x 460 FERMI...... YAY! ;) About a month or so this upgrade happens, so im looking forward to it...

Also got a hit on a new laptop, i7, so I might be folding with in the between times!

Mobile I7.....that would be a fun toy :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If you hardly ever game, definitely sell those cards and replace them with a better processor. The longer you wait the less they'll be worth when you finally decide to sell.

I was folding on video cards since GPU 1. Speculation about a better Ati client was being discussed since then. We're talking at least three years and perhaps more. No new indications have arisen this year to shed light whether the status quo has changed to any appreciable degree.

The problem is that a Gulftown upgrade won't be happening anytime soon even if I do sell them off. Things have gotten really slow at work, so everyone is being cut back right now. It is something i'm mulling since as you stated, the cards will only continue to depreciate in value as time goes on with the release of Southern Islands litereally just around the corner.

Rumors seem to indicate that a decent ATI GPU client is just around the corner this time. Maybe one of our friends like Tobit, Nitro, or Evil can found out more?

My next upgrade comes int he form of a 1090T with 2x 460 FERMI...... YAY! ;) About a month or so this upgrade happens, so im looking forward to it...

Also got a hit on a new laptop, i7, so I might be folding with in the between times!

Congrats man! Nice to see another AMD processor getting added to the team. It is still a shame that they won't get those 1090T's get bigadv when it is very likely they are bigadv capable with a decent overclock.

As for your laptop, I highly recommend that you install a temperature monitoring program like CoreTemp just to keep an eye on things. Laptops don't see to be built with adequate cooling systems these days.

Congrats man! Nice to see another AMD processor getting added to the team. It is still a shame that they won't get those 1090T's get bigadv when it is very likely they are bigadv capable with a decent overclock.

Oh they are more than capable, someone over at FF started a s***storm when he posted how he had done it.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15883
And
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=15882

Oh and this old thread as well: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=15107

Rumors seem to indicate that a decent ATI GPU client is just around the corner this time. Maybe one of our friends like Tobit, Nitro, or Evil can found out more?

As soon as I saw your post, I got excited and started digging around the FF to see if I could find something, and really all I found was bad news. :(

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15739&start=15#p157686
Vijay Pande said:
We've been making steady progress in our complete rewrite of our code for OpenCL. However, it's not just about porting code, but often redesigning algorithms to run efficiently on ATI hardware. That's the challenging part.

Maybe I'm being negative, but this really puts me in a downer on the subject. PG is basically trying to bend over backwards completely to get ATi folding better, and I don't know what ATi is doing to help....but it sounds like this isn't going to be an easy fix at all. I thought it was something as simple (not really, but to boil it down) as rewriting the gpu client code to OpenCL to work on both. I had no idea they'd need to redesign/rewrite client/WU algorithms to essentially "connect the dots" to help get ATi running more efficiently as well.

I think we all figured it was going to take awhile, figured we wouldn't hear much (as is par for the course with PG....stuff just gets announced, not much is really said beforehand in hype). After reading Vijay's comment there - man, I just don't know. It could be beyond just the 6 series launch before we have a respectable ATi client. I figured by the time 6 series launched, the client should be done. However knowing now that there is a lot more work involved than at least I initially thought - I just don't know anymore. :(

Oh they are more than capable, someone over at FF started a s***storm when he posted how he had done it.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15883
And
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=15882

Oh and this old thread as well: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=15107

Wow, so those Thubans really are capable then and they have apparantly found a way to do it without sneakernetting. This should be good news for those like ccityinstaller and even freaky who have thubans in their folding rigs. Once more people try it, I may just upgrade my gaming rig to a Thuban instead of pawning off my XFX 5850's to fund a Gulftown for folding1.

Those TPF's that guy are getting is right along the lines of what folding1 is getting. 50 minute TPF's on 2684's and 39 min. TPF's on 2685's. After all, the Bloomfields are really just a quad core processor that is able to fool the folding client into thinking it has 8 cores. The only problem I see is that a very high overclock is required, and you guys know that i'm a cautious and overly conservative overclocker. Folding1 is running at 3.46ghz and I refuse to take my Gulftown in folding2 past 3.6ghz, which is all it will let me do on stock voltage.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/815542-1055t-bigadv.html

theres the thread about it.. i suggest talking to Gen on their forum since hes found a way to get it working on the x6's..

so far after reading 11 pages of that thread and people's trial and errors.. you have to overclock the NB and run DDR3 1600 to complete the WU's in time with the cpu over 4ghz..

but like ive been saying physical cores are better then logical cores and this just proves it.. the i7's may be faster at 99% of the things but logical cores still suck ass at crunching numbers..

oh btw the x6 at 4ghz actually out performs the i7 930 at 4ghz :D food for thought.. lol

Wow, so those Thubans really are capable then and they have apparantly found a way to do it without sneakernetting. This should be good news for those like ccityinstaller and even freaky who have thubans in their folding rigs. Once more people try it, I may just upgrade my gaming rig to a Thuban instead of pawning off my XFX 5850's to fund a Gulftown for folding1.

Those TPF's that guy are getting is right along the lines of what folding1 is getting. 50 minute TPF's on 2684's and 39 min. TPF's on 2685's. After all, the Bloomfields are really just a quad core processor that is able to fool the folding client into thinking it has 8 cores. The only problem I see is that a very high overclock is required, and you guys know that i'm a cautious and overly conservative overclocker. Folding1 is running at 3.46ghz and I refuse to take my Gulftown in folding2 past 3.6ghz, which is all it will let me do on stock voltage.

If you want to add PPD without breaking the bank, especially as work is slow - your best bet is to sell the 5850's, get a GTX 460 in one of your rigs and start saving for your gulftown

Wait, this doesn't make sense.
. you have to overclock the NB and run DDR3 1600 to complete the WU's in time with the cpu over 4ghz..
So, just to get a 2684 turned in on time, my X6 would have to be at 4ghz!.

But then you said....
oh btw the x6 at 4ghz actually out performs the i7 930 at 4ghz
no, a 930 at 4ghz would finish a bigadv WU easily.

These two statements are contradictory.

I'm curious about this because I have an x6 in my HTPC but due to PSU constraints I've only clocked it to about 3.5ghz on stock volts.

oh btw the x6 at 4ghz actually out performs the i7 930 at 4ghz :D food for thought.. lol

At what? Knitting? crocheting?

Bring over your 4GHz AMD x6 and go head to head with my kids 4GHz i7 930! You win, you take it home!!!!

Your starting to remind me of Jeremy Shaw!!!

Back