So exactly what does "Comcast 10G" really mean?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm guessing that it's a play on words of cellular 5G, but is completely unrelated. Is "10G" anything else than some marketer's overwrought imagination?

Since this is [H] I have to ask, in technical terms, how is 10G an improvement?

Potential 10Gbps internet, so that you can hit your data cap 10 times faster. Has nothing to do with cellular networks (5G in the context of cellular networks is short for "5th Generation" and completely unrelated). Mostly marketing, since far less than 1% of consumers are running equipment that can handle anything faster than 1Gbps at this point. I'm sure that they won't pass up the chance to charge you more to rent that DOCSIS 4.0 modem also. Might be useful for some businesses at this point but that's about it.

Potential 10Gbps internet, so that you can hit your data cap 10 times faster. Has nothing to do with cellular networks (5G in the context of cellular networks is short for "5th Generation" and completely unrelated). Mostly marketing, since far less than 1% of consumers are running equipment that can handle anything faster than 1Gbps at this point. I'm sure that they won't pass up the chance to charge you more to rent that DOCSIS 4.0 modem also. Might be useful for some businesses at this point but that's about it.
So for Joe Schlub Consumer, it's all fluff and rainbows, it would seem.

If/when/ever I sign up for this 10G service, I would 100% get my own modem. Pfui on those overpriced modem/router rentals. I already have a much better router but I'm not sure it can handle higher speed Ethernet.

Last edited:
https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data

Customers who use more than 1.2 TB of data in a month for the first time will not be billed for exceeding the limit. After that, blocks of 50 GB will automatically be added to your account for an additional fee of $10 each plus tax.

1.2TB per month is a grossly insufficient amount, especially for anyone in a position to actually be able to put speeds faster than 1Gbps to use. At 10Gbps you could literally use up your entire monthly data cap in a matter of minutes. Charging $10 for 50Gigabytes past the cap is something I would expect from a company like Hughes satellite internet, not Cable internet, and and absolutely pathetic. Other Cable companies, like Mediacom for example, at least offer up to 6TB caps on their higher-speed residential internet plans now. But really, in 2023, there is no excuse for a monthly cap on any terrestrial broadband connection. Most fiber connections don't have caps (in addition to symmetrical up/down speeds). There shouldn't be caps on Cable connections either. I'm on a Business Cable plan that is only 300Mbps, but I've already used over 7TB just in the last 20 days. I'd gladly take 300Mbps with no cap over a capped 1Gbps or even a 10Gbps plan. Even Starlink does not have a hard data cap (your data simply gets "de-prioritized" after the first 1TB).

You can spend $30 more a month to remove that data cap. It's a dumb fee, but if you're gonna use that much data you might as well pay $30 a month more. I don't think I've had a sub 5 terabyte month in years and they've never yelled at me since I started paying the unlimited fee.

Uh huh…marginally higher maybe. They do have plans to (eventually) offer symmetric upload speeds. But it’s not “10g” speeds. It’s marketing.
Wrong. It is a 10gbit connection, just not symmetrical. No moving the goalposts...

We had a 10gb connection at my last house with fiber and it was pretty slick when you could find a source to take advantage of those speeds.

Cable 10gb would be useless unless theres a better modem then their xb8 with only has a 2.5gb port and is only docsis 3.1.

Wrong. It is a 10gbit connection, just not symmetrical. No moving the goalposts...
That is the lie they are hoping to hook people with. It is 1.2mbps down, 40up - with a promise of symmetrical speeds later in 2023 in “limited markets”. They’ve talked about possibility of 10g in docsis 4.0 with deployment many years down the line. Maybe.

They do have a few (very few) markets where they are experimenting with FTTH/PON but 95% of their customers will never see that.

But it is good to know that some people will swallow their bait. I guess there is still employment for people in marketing.

That is the lie they are hoping to hook people with. It is 1.2mbps down, 40up - with a promise of symmetrical speeds later in 2023 in “limited markets”. They’ve talked about possibility of 10g in docsis 4.0 with deployment many years down the line. Maybe.

They do have a few (very few) markets where they are experimenting with FTTH/PON but 95% of their customers will never see that.

But it is good to know that some people will swallow their bait. I guess there is still employment for people in marketing.
PigLover Thanks for this perspective. But I will say this, as a former product marketing guy. there is honest marketing and there is deceptive, snake oil, don't look behind the curtain marketing. Comcast seems to practice the second kind. Me, I would have been ashamed to work at Comcast with their type of marketing.

PigLover Thanks for this perspective. But I will say this, as a former product marketing guy. there is honest marketing and there is deceptive, snake oil, don't look behind the curtain marketing. Comcast seems to practice the second kind. Me, I would have been ashamed to work at Comcast with their type of marketing.
Really? You must have a tough time finding a honest marketing job. To me pretty much all marketing is deceptive now.

Am I being trolled? It's still faster than 1.2gbps since it runs at 6gbps in many areas. It has nothing to do with marketing.

Really? You must have a tough time finding a honest marketing job. To me pretty much all marketing is deceptive now.
I was in "B2B" product management and product marketing for software companies. Big, big differences from "B2C" consumer marketing.

Comcrast..... hahahahahaha......ROTFLMAOAU....😱..🤪..🤑

Sorry but I just find it so friggin amusing that people STILL fall for their B.S after all these years.....

i think they're calling their entire network '10G'. They recently completed network improvements in my area, and I was able to sign up for 2000/200.

Comcrast..... hahahahahaha......ROTFLMAOAU....😱..🤪..🤑

Sorry but I just find it so friggin amusing that people STILL fall for their B.S after all these years.....

Everything is relative. Marketing is annoying but can safely be ignored. If you don't research what you are subscribing to then you deserve what you get. Right now I'm stuck on Mediacom Cable, and they actually make Comcast look good.

Wow. If your ISP makes Comcast look good, my deepest sympathies.

One example: On their residential plans, both Comcast and Mediacom charge $10 per 50GB once you go past the monthly cap. Comcast has a $100 limit. Mediacom doesn't. You could literally get a $1000+ bill from Mediacom if you used enough data on a residential plan. That's why we have a Business plan, because there is no other way to get Unlimited Data. We get 300/20 and pay $100 more per month than their residential gigabit plan. If it was Comcast we could just max out the overage fee on a much faster residential plan and get the exact same price.

One example: On their residential plans, both Comcast and Mediacom charge $10 per 50GB once you go past the monthly cap. Comcast has a $100 limit. Mediacom doesn't. You could literally get a $1000+ bill from Mediacom if you used enough data on a residential plan. That's why we have a Business plan, because there is no other way to get Unlimited Data. We get 300/20 and pay $100 more per month than their residential gigabit plan. If it was Comcast we could just max out the overage fee on a much faster residential plan and get the exact same price.
That sucks.

It's still 1200 Mbps in almost all markets, the exact same Xfinity service as before. They just gave it a new name in preparation for the DOCSIS 4.0 rollout which may begin the 2nd half of the year.
It'll be rolled out earlier than the second half of this year for Comcast, they just started getting the FDX, you'll see small rollouts pretty soon. Mediacom is planning their D4.0 releases at the end of the year as well.

Not that it matters fully at this point since there are no modems out that support more than 2 OFDM/2 OFDMA and 32/8 SC-QAM channels so your stuck to around 5gbps down . They basically use some hacked up cable modems for testingso they can get high speeds to test, as I'm not sure if Broadcom/Maxlinear have released the 4.0 chips yet.
Honestly I'd go for it if they offered me more than 50mb of upload.

I get 1.4+ gbps down on a 1.2gbps comcast plan.
...and 45mbps up. 🤷‍♂️
As they roll out FDX (COMCAST/Mediacom, some others), or ESD (Charter, probably COX, most others) you're going to see some increases as more spectrum becomes available for the UPstream side and more MSO use OFDMA .

Where I am now, there's no cable infra. Comcast is rolling out brand new starting late this year and into next, with a "completion" by end of 2024. Hoping for the best and that by the time it lands and I get service, good download and upload speeds are available. I'd honestly take 500/200 over 1200/50... but if I could get like 5G/5G or 10G/10G, then that'd be awesome.

Where I am now, there's no cable infra. Comcast is rolling out brand new starting late this year and into next, with a "completion" by end of 2024. Hoping for the best and that by the time it lands and I get service, good download and upload speeds are available. I'd honestly take 500/200 over 1200/50... but if I could get like 5G/5G or 10G/10G, then that'd be awesome.
I doubt you'll see a 10G/10G unless they change the specifications of DOCSIS 4.0 (I don't really see a 4.1 coming out, but could change the amount of OFDMA channels supported) , as it's slated for 10G down and 6G up max currently. Still quite nice, I know Trial markets have Comcast/Charter doing 4G symmetrical in the field .

I doubt you'll see a 10G/10G unless they change the specifications of DOCSIS 4.0 (I don't really see a 4.1 coming out, but could change the amount of OFDMA channels supported) , as it's slated for 10G down and 6G up max currently. Still quite nice, I know Trial markets have Comcast/Charter doing 4G symmetrical in the field .
Someone local mentioned that they were "looking at" FTTH, but, my guess is that was for business, not residential. The only thing I've been able to find is from Comcast's blurb when they signed the contract that says
...including multi-gig broadband speeds for residential customers and speeds up to 100 Gbps for business customers.
4G/4G would even be fine :D

You know you are going to get 10G/10MB.

Someone local mentioned that they were "looking at" FTTH, but, my guess is that was for business, not residential. The only thing I've been able to find is from Comcast's blurb when they signed the contract that says
It's probably going to be for both, since they're really rolling vCMTS to their whole network (already have like 20-30% ) plugging in rOLT's is pretty easy to add, basically it's being a module that can plug into a node (or new node) that would be similar to a traditional HFC node that goes into the field. It could potentially make a lot of sense for rural areas, as they're going to have to do all kinds of new amplifier updates for 4.0 anyway.

Back