Snapdragon 805 demonstration

Can't wait to see smartphones with this chip. I'm itching to replace my HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I suspect you'll only see the 805 at its full potential in tablets, but I wouldn't be surprised if you still get great performance in a smartphone.

What's the first phone that is supposed to have this chip?

Haven't seen one announced so far, if I recall correctly. We may see some at CES (next week) and MWC (late February). I wouldn't be surprised if the Galaxy S5 or HTC's next flagship went the Snapdragon 805 route, since any Qualcomm unveilings at CES (if there are any) likely won't ship until much later in the year.

Can't wait to see smartphones with this chip. I'm itching to replace my HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Personally I can't wait for Qualcomm to fall out of favor. I've said it before and I'll say it again: They're the Cyrix of ARM. They're good about being first to market because their "next-gen" products are just derivatives of the previous generation.

I don't see anything wrong with what Qualcomm is doing for ARM SoC. What's wrong with improving on ARM's designs if those improvements actually work? And the last time I checked, they did; they were more efficient and did not cost much in speed.

What Qualcomm did against WiMax and their abandonment of CDMA, however, are completely unforgiving.

I don't see anything wrong with what Qualcomm is doing for ARM SoC. What's wrong with improving on ARM's designs if those improvements actually work? And the last time I checked, they did; they were more efficient and did not cost much in speed.

So why's the 805 still based on ARMv7? Why doesn't it improve further on the 800?

Qualcomm's custom designs aren't that much worse than the newer ARM designs they try to copy, but yet they're still super behind in the ARM world. And because Qualcomm brings their chips to market first, most phone manufacturers aren't even bothering to consider other chips. We end up with phones more than a generation behind. Things aren't quite as bad as when we had Cortex A8 and A9 for too damn long, but Qualcomm likes to jump the gun and release a product I'd call sub-par (including the S800 in my LG G2) because it gets them to market first (which is good for them, but not necessarily for me). I don't understand why everyone, including apparently Qualcomm (remember that PR dude who tweeted that 64-bit doesn't matter), seems to disregard the fact that ARMv8 includes a lot of advantages beyond the ability to address more memory, including (according to ARM) significant power optimizations. Also the sooner we get it into phones, the sooner developers can start releasing ARMv8-specific software (not immediately, but sooner).

Also, Qualcomm's driver support is some of the worst around, compounded by the fact that all the GPU drivers suck as well.

Honestly, I hope Nvidia gets their s*** together for T5. TI isn't bothering with phones and Nvidia lags behind too much. My only other hope is for Intel chips to actually start showing up in Linux-based phones (preferably not Android, either, since I can't even review apps anonymously anymore - huge FU to Google. Also not Ubuntu because I hate Canonical and Mark Shuttleworth can shove Mir, Upstart, Unity (and the whining about how other developers don't want to support Canonical's crappy proprietary stuff) up his arse). A good phone OS based around Wayland and not requiring Google accounts would also be nice while I'm at it.

I don't understand why companies are building Linux-based phones using chips from companies that offer some of the worst Linux support around. Intel should be best at this. For products they actually build, their Linux support is good.

Also, I think the CPU should still be the focus over GPU. Most people don't game on their phones - most people will rather see less lag when using actually useful things on the phone (like... the phone). Desktop PCs have amazing CPUs these days, but ARM is nowhere NEAR that point - CPU improvements are still necessary and obvious.

I do somewhat expect that Qualcomm will improve, though. Just haven't been happy with 'em so far.

Last edited:
Until Snapdragon 800 previous generations were Crapdragons for the lackluster performance. With that said probably nothing worth upgrading to until the next significant jump to 20nm Snapdragon 810. Hopefully, Exynos can remain competitive but it has the advantage of better Samsung fab vs TSMC.

So now Samsung Fab is also better than TSMC... Seriously, why haven't you been banned yet?

Personally I can't wait for Qualcomm to fall out of favor. I've said it before and I'll say it again: They're the Cyrix of ARM. They're good about being first to market because their "next-gen" products are just derivatives of the previous generation.

What is Nvidia then? They certainly haven't given us anything great for use in smartphones in...well ever! Thank god for Qualcomm!!

The 805 is supposed to be a beast, a MAJOR upgrade in smartphone processor tech.

But I have two concerns. Compared to current flagships like my One M8, which is a beast already, and my M8 gets insanely good battery life, almost on par with my old Note 2. The M8 runs a 801 and a 1080p screen, so power wise it's not a killer. I am worried these new phones with 805's and 1440p screens will be hogs again, and require more than the 2800 - 3000 mAh batteries to run a full day + ?

The 805 is supposed to be a beast, a MAJOR upgrade in smartphone processor tech.

But I have two concerns. Compared to current flagships like my One M8, which is a beast already, and my M8 gets insanely good battery life, almost on par with my old Note 2. The M8 runs a 801 and a 1080p screen, so power wise it's not a killer. I am worried these new phones with 805's and 1440p screens will be hogs again, and require more than the 2800 - 3000 mAh batteries to run a full day + ?

Hence why they are all going to bigger screens. It's pretty easy to have a huge battery when you have a 5.5"+ screen.

Hence why they are all going to bigger screens. It's pretty easy to have a huge battery when you have a 5.5"+ screen.

Good point. So my M8 has 2600mAh battery and gives excellent battery life, so to stay on par the M8 Prime would need like a 3400mAh battery ?

The 805 is essentially the 801/800 with 2x dedicated memory channels for the gpu. It's sole purpose is to power QHD, based upon what anand/brian said about it, it does a very good job. The next serious upgrade from Qualcomm will be the 808/810 which are based on the A57 architecture and uses BIG.little. They need to consider some serious driver support with these since BIG.little is extremely complex.

Back