SMTP experts, question?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I'm going to do an email migration from POP3 server to an Office 365 Exchange Hosted email server. Our POP3 host is Network Solutions, who also has our domain.

The owner of the company wants to keep our current email addresses, which are currently [email protected]. I'd personally rather switch over to [email protected] when we switch over to Office 365, so I can troubleshoot any possible issues that pop up.

One idea I had was adding an additional SMTP email address (the [email protected]) to the new email address that would be created with Office 365, so people will still get emails sent to their old addresses, even though the MX records and domain where moved over to Office 365.

Or am I overthinking this and I should just due the [email protected] like the owner has told me to do? I just don't want to be fighting fires all weekend when this does happen.

I think that Microsoft may charge another seat when you set up the 2nd e-mail address. Not sure if they support e-mail forwarders.

I'm not sure what you're trying to gain by adding a dot? IMO, their email address should be the same as their usernames. Their email addresses should also not change due to a migration...talk about a nightmare. Also, I've come across many devices (network devices in particular) that do not like dots in the username.

In other words, do what the boss tells you to do, his idea is better than your idea :D

Don't over complicate it. Just listen to your boss. They may not always be right. But this time they are. You're only going to create more work for yourself.

This has nothing to do with SMTP.

This is all about aliasing, which is completely unrelated to SMTP, and certainly has *nothing* to do with MX records.

You can do it as aliases, but users outgoing mail will have their primary address by default.

Not worth the hassle IMO.

Back