• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SMTP experts, question?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
1,278
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I'm going to do an email migration from POP3 server to an Office 365 Exchange Hosted email server. Our POP3 host is Network Solutions, who also has our domain.

The owner of the company wants to keep our current email addresses, which are currently firstnamelastname@company.com. I'd personally rather switch over to firstname.lastname@company.com when we switch over to Office 365, so I can troubleshoot any possible issues that pop up.

One idea I had was adding an additional SMTP email address (the firstnamelastname@company.com) to the new email address that would be created with Office 365, so people will still get emails sent to their old addresses, even though the MX records and domain where moved over to Office 365.

Or am I overthinking this and I should just due the firstnamelastname@company.com like the owner has told me to do? I just don't want to be fighting fires all weekend when this does happen.
 
I think that Microsoft may charge another seat when you set up the 2nd e-mail address. Not sure if they support e-mail forwarders.
 
I'm not sure what you're trying to gain by adding a dot? IMO, their email address should be the same as their usernames. Their email addresses should also not change due to a migration...talk about a nightmare. Also, I've come across many devices (network devices in particular) that do not like dots in the username.

In other words, do what the boss tells you to do, his idea is better than your idea :D
 
Don't over complicate it. Just listen to your boss. They may not always be right. But this time they are. You're only going to create more work for yourself.
 
This has nothing to do with SMTP.

This is all about aliasing, which is completely unrelated to SMTP, and certainly has *nothing* to do with MX records.
 
Does Exchange ignore decimals when determining where to route emails? If so no change would be needed I would think?

I know Gmail does this, so for example these would all be sent to the same mail box:
Code:
bobjones@gmail.com
bob.jones@gmail.com
bob..jones@gmail.com
bo.b.j.ones@gmail.com
 
Does Exchange ignore decimals when determining where to route emails? If so no change would be needed I would think?

I know Gmail does this, so for example these would all be sent to the same mail box:
Code:
bobjones@gmail.com
bob.jones@gmail.com
bob..jones@gmail.com
bo.b.j.ones@gmail.com

No, that's a GMail thing. bobjones and bob.jones are different users in a standard Exchange config.
 
You can do it as aliases, but users outgoing mail will have their primary address by default.

Not worth the hassle IMO.
 
Back
Top