Smoking [H]ot - Newegg - Crucal m4 128GB $129.99 shipped

Crucial m4 512MB is only $549 at Amazon! Crap, I thought I got a good deal at $599 last month.

Heh, pretty sure you meant 512GB. It has been on sale for that price on Newegg for the past week or more.

damn, I've been waiting on this drive to drop a bit for weeks now. I guess by the time it's no longer "out of stock" the promo code will be invalid, fucking typical bullshit right here.

damn, I've been waiting on this drive to drop a bit for weeks now. I guess by the time it's no longer "out of stock" the promo code will be invalid, fucking typical bullshit right here.

That's how Newegg does it. If they have a really hot deal they'll sell so many then either says it's OOS or sold out. You've gotta be quick. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more in stock but they took it off because they've sold however many they were willing to in the sale. I did manage to get one for myself but that kind of thing is one more reason I tend to avoid buying from Newegg unless they have some special deal like this....always look elsewhere before going with Newegg.

gah so on the fence right now. On the one hand i want to upgrade from my current SATA2 OCZ Vertex2 120GB, but on the other, i know prices on these, just like anything else, will continue to fall.

I'd probably hold off until you can afford a larger drive, unless you just intend to use both simultaneously as discrete drives (say, one for the OS and one for games).

The jump from a HDD to my 80GB X25-M was a big one, but going from that to a 120GB Samsung 830 wasn't very earth shattering. It felt faster under certain specific circumstances, but the X25-M had some crappy sequential write speeds so that's not too surprising. I mostly upgraded because I knew I'd be using the 80GB drive on another system.

I'm sure I could, but this was an impulse buy my Intel 80giger works just fine just a bit small BF3 + L4D2 + Adobe suite leaves me with 3 gigs free.....I'll need a new drive before Diablo 3 drops in a few weeks. I'll just keep an eye out for the next sweet SSD deal they seem to be happening all over the place.

You really should leave more than 3GB free to keep the drive operating optimally... Part of the reason I upgraded from 80GB to only 120GB in November (paid $200 for the 830 but it came w/Batman AC), just to give myself a lil' more headroom w/o spending $300+ on a 256GB drive. I'd probably go 256GB on a laptop tho.

That's how Newegg does it. If they have a really hot deal they'll sell so many then either says it's OOS or sold out. You've gotta be quick. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more in stock but they took it off because they've sold however many they were willing to in the sale. I did manage to get one for myself but that kind of thing is one more reason I tend to avoid buying from Newegg unless they have some special deal like this....always look elsewhere before going with Newegg.

I don't really fault them for that. This was a really good deal so its not shocking at all that they went OOS on the items. If newegg has the lowest price I buy from them, if they don't then I don't. If i miss a sale, it happens. People get way to wound up about this stuff.

I don't really fault them for that. This was a really good deal so its not shocking at all that they went OOS on the items. If newegg has the lowest price I buy from them, if they don't then I don't. If i miss a sale, it happens. People get way to wound up about this stuff.

I can understand it but it gets rather annoying deal after deal being sold out sometimes when I check my e-mail. It kinda makes me think if there's something in an e-mail that's a really good deal.... no point in clicking it's sold out. I guess I got lucky on this one.

Removed myself from Newegg's mailing list a few months ago after being a big $$ customer for... 8 years? 9 years? I miss the days when Newegg wasn't total rubbish. :(

Removed myself from Newegg's mailing list a few months ago after being a big $$ customer for... 8 years? 9 years? I miss the days when Newegg wasn't total rubbish. :(

Same, I read reviews and stuff there, but I don't buy anything. Amazon beats them most of the time. Just overhauled my HTPC, and even with all of Newegg's "$10 Off" this, and "$5 Off" that, Amazon still came out cheaper on the exact same cart.

As soon as I get the first NewEgg email that I had to sign up for this order to get the $20 discount, I'll be removing myself from the subscriber list. Their marketing emails are rubbish.

No, that's just the conversion of GB to GiB

Seriously... GiB... for many years the term was 'formated capacity' it is sad trying to call it something new to make the marketing stick.... make a drive look bigger than it is by using decimal instead of binary. It wasn't too bad way back in the day a 212MB drive didn't lose much but now terabyte drives lose almost 70GB to 931GB formatted. and 80 GB was a large mainstream drive not that long ago.

Seriously... GiB... for many years the term was 'formated capacity' it is sad trying to call it something new to make the marketing stick.... make a drive look bigger than it is by using decimal instead of binary. It wasn't too bad way back in the day a 212MB drive didn't lose much but now terabyte drives lose almost 70GB to 931GB formatted. and 80 GB was a large mainstream drive not that long ago.

Formatted capacity is capacity after the drive has been made ready for data to be put on it. It has nothing to do with whether capacity is expressed with binary or decimal prefixes. The space isn't lost to formatting at all.

kiB, GiB, TiB have been around since 1996 to make the binary prefix explicit to the reader. To be perfectly honest though, HDD and RAM (RAM manufacturers quit doing it eventually) manufactures representing byte capacity prefixes as decimal was very disingenuous because everyone else always understood that a kilobyte was 1024 bytes until the manufacturers started that nonsense.

Mine came in today; however, I don't have a spare SATA cable to plug her in. I bought one the day after I purchased this drive and it's still on its way. Oh well, I get to wait a couple more days :)

Mine came into today. I checked the firmware and it cames with the 0309 version. I slapped it into my computer, popped in the windows 7 disc and off I go.

Did I miss anything? First SSD I have ever owned. All my sata ports are 6gps.

I don't know what people were talking about installing windows 7 in 10-12 mins ... must have been off a flash drive, not DVD drive. I am 8 minutes into mine and at 70% through 2nd step.

*edit*
lol nevermind, made a liar out of me 12 mins in and i am literally at the desktop of fresh install!

At least this sale got them to send the one I ordered 3 days previously.
And guess what?
Mine came in today.

When I saw the sale I tried to get them to give me the discount but they wouldn't and it was sold out so I couldn't order/cancell. I do, however, have my first SSD.

my speeds ... are they right?

Capture.png

I missed this thread, got really excited without checking when the post was made. :(

my speeds ... are they right?

If it feels way freaking faster than a spinner HDD, you're doin' it right. Running those random write disk benchmarks doesn't really help your short-term SSD performance ...

At least this sale got them to send the one I ordered 3 days previously.
And guess what?
Mine came in today.

When I saw the sale I tried to get them to give me the discount but they wouldn't and it was sold out so I couldn't order/cancell. I do, however, have my first SSD.

That's weak, I've gotten like two or three discounts retroactively like that out of them (in the last two years), the most recent was even on a Samsung 830 drive in November... Granted it was an actual price drop I think ($20) and not a short promo, and the 830 wasn't in high demand just yet I think. Every time they say it's a one time thing but they keep doing it, guess I just got lucky. :p

The free shipping wasn't very impressive. I ordered two during the sale and they were both just in a padded envelope and mailed via USPS. They arrived in decent shape though.

shipping was miserable. they use UPS to get package in your general area then hand it off to USPS.

Interesting. Mine came in a box via UPS.

Then again I used that free 2 day shipping from Shoprunner.

Pretty much the same deal going on at Staples with the coupon and a price match to Amazon's current price on the 128GB with transfer kit. Put it at $130.15 shipped for me.

Sigh, got the 64gb yesterday for under $60 shipped. This morning decided to get the 128gb version for my desktop too, $131 shipped after coupon with a black pen as a filler lmao.

Received a 128GB for my 64gb order.... guess they ran outta 64gb and decided to go ahead and send me a 128GB version.

My 128GB that I ordered this morning is still being processed, should arrive tomorrow though XD <3 STAPLES

Wtf, how does that happen?

NewEgg has screwed up before. Once I got a used PSU that had been RMA'd by another customer...

If they were out of 64GB stock they would have either canceled the order or asked you to wait until they got stock.

Right, but they surely wouldn't send you a bigger drive that costs twice as much, least not on purpose... I'm not gonna get all moral here about it but dude definitely got lucky.

People that order 64GB ssd and 2500k, and get 128GB and 2700k ... how do I get on this gravy train!!!

Received a 128GB for my 64gb order.... guess they ran outta 64gb and decided to go ahead and send me a 128GB version.

My 128GB that I ordered this morning is still being processed, should arrive tomorrow though XD <3 STAPLES

you lucked out!

Back