Pull the Trigger

• Yes, just get that now and move on

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No, wait for sandy bridge

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

xsmokex

n00b
Opinions are welcomed! I don't think I forgot anything.

Old system

C2d e6600
4 GB DDR2 800
ATI 5770
Zalman 9700 cooler
It will still serve as network storage for now till I move to a ZFS for storage or something else it hosts a 2.72 TB raid array.

New System
Lian Li PC-A71AF
Asus p8z68-V pro
Corsair HX850
i5 2500k
MSI GTX 560 TI 2GB
Crucial M4 256GB
Corsair 16 GB DDR3 1600 1.5 volt 9 cas
Plextor Sata Blu Ray Drive
Noctua NH-d14 cooler
Asus DVD Burner

Going to replace all case fans with Noctua's
2 NF-p12-1300 120mm
2 NF-P14 FLX 140mm

Going to run windows 7 ultimate.

I'm not sure the reason's RAM cas latency does not matter for this platform, so I am just getting the 1600 cas 9 like has been recommended. Hopefully I can get a decent overclock of 4.5 or so. Last build was in 2007 on lga 775 its just getting to the point now where doing the gaming or desktop things I do it has to think for a few moments longer than I like. Hoping the new build will last just as long.

Later on I will probably end up putting a Raid array in with 2tb drives and a controller card into the new system. Waiting on hard drive prices drop.

Was debating on a sound card, I use the Logitech G35 headset and its USB so I am think I am going to skip it.

Unless I forgot something and need to make a change I am ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Wait for Ivy Bridge.

Are you planning on running triple SLI or something?
What's the max resolution of your monitor?
What games are you planning on playing?

Going to run windows 7 ultimate.
Do you already have a copy or are you planning on buying it?
I'm not sure the reason's RAM cas latency does not matter for this platform, so I am just getting the 1600 cas 9 like has been recommended..
CAS latency doesn't matter that much with this platform either. So you 'll be fine with the RAM you chose.

Later on I will probably end up putting a Raid array in with 2tb drives and a controller card into the new system. Waiting on hard drive prices drop.
What kind of RAID array?
What's the purpose for having that RAID array?

Wait for Ivy Bridge.

Been debating this, thanks for the vote in that direction

Are you planning on running triple SLI or something?
What's the max resolution of your monitor?
What games are you planning on playing?
Monitor Max Res is 1920x1080. I do have a 60" 1080p plasma, and a 32" 720p lcd, but my computer is not normally hooked up to those.

My Game choice fluctuates I tend to pick up games as they come out new. Currently messing around with Tribes Ascend beta, Diablo III, and Saints row III, and always minecraft!

Do you already have a copy or are you planning on buying it?
going to pick up a new copy going with the retail box.

CAS latency doesn't matter that much with this platform either. So you 'll be fine with the RAM you chose.

Nice to know it used to seem to matter on other platforms/sockets. What is the reason it does not effect this socket?

What kind of RAID array?
What's the purpose for having that RAID array?
Going to probably build a new RAID array with IBM m1015 controller and 5 2TB drives 4 in array and 1 as hot spare.

I do allot of DVR recording of 25 different TV series's, and I also rip allot of dvds and blurays. So the raid array is for storage for these files, then I stream them through the house to the Two tv's mentioned above. I have been debating on if I want to keep using raid 5 or build a ZFS box as allot have done in the [H] storage section. I am down to 1/4th my space left on my current storage solution.

Doesn't look liked IB is coming till June from what the front page news is. Buy the i5 2500k, enjoy it. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never know even what Sandy Bridge was about. :p

The Sandy Bridge memory controller is fast enough that getting faster RAM will not affect its performance. Same with 1366 and 1156 processors.

The Ivy Bridge delay seems to relevant only to mobile processors. There is nothing about desktop processors.

A good 500-600 watt power supply will suffice for your setup as long as you don't plan to SLI. If you do plan on doing SLI 560s, then a 650 watt power supply would be sufficient.

Get the regular 1gb 560TI. The 2gb will not benefit you with just 1080p, especially with only a single card.

My Game choice fluctuates I tend to pick up games as they come out new. Currently messing around with Tribes Ascend beta, Diablo III, and Saints row III, and always minecraft!

So not BF3 or Skyrim? I ask because while there are games that use up quite a lot of VRAM, BF3 and Skyrim, the pricing on that GTX 560 Ti 2GB doesn't make sense nowadays considering that the GTX 560 Ti 448 Core 1280MB costs $25 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130738

In games that don't use a lot of VRAM, the GTX 560 TI 448 Core will provide significantly higher FPS at higher settings than the GTX 560 Ti. In other words, a better overall experience. However in games that do use a lot of VRAM, the GTX 560 TI 2GB will probably offer smoother performance but lower FPS while the GTX 560 TI 448 Core will have a significantly higher FPS but may not be all that smooth if settings are cranked up.

going to pick up a new copy going with the retail box.
In that case, why Windows 7 Ultimate? What 7 Ult features are you actually planning on using that justifies the higher cost? Remember that the performance between all the revisions of Windows 7 is basically the same.
Nice to know it used to seem to matter on other platforms/sockets. What is the reason it does not effect this socket?
Pretty much what Tsumi said.
I have been debating on if I want to keep using raid 5 or build a ZFS box as allot have done in the [H] storage section. I am down to 1/4th my space left on my current storage solution.
The main thought I have is the IBM M1015 is a software RAID card. As such it will use your system's CPU and RAM to do all of the parity calculations and such. Thus you might see a slight performance hit if you choose to run the RAID array in that PC.

And yes the IB delay is for the Laptop CPUs, not desktop. Desktop is still on track for an April release.

Last edited:
So not BF3 or Skyrim? I ask because while there are games that use up quite a lot of VRAM, BF3 and Skyrim, the pricing on that GTX 560 Ti 2GB doesn't make sense nowadays considering that the GTX 560 Ti 448 Core 1280MB costs $25 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130738

I have skyrim but I have not been playing it lately.

In games that don't use a lot of VRAM, the GTX 560 TI 448 Core will provide significantly higher FPS at higher settings than the GTX 560 Ti. In other words, a better overall experience. However in games that do use a lot of VRAM, the GTX 560 TI 2GB will probably offer smoother performance but lower FPS while the GTX 560 TI 448 Core will have a significantly higher FPS but may not be all that smooth if settings are cranked up.

In that case, why Windows 7 Ultimate? What 7 Ult features are you actually planning on using that justifies the higher cost? Remember that the performance between all the revisions of Windows 7 is basically the same.

The only feature I really need is remote desktop connection, It is in ultimate and professional. The price difference between the two is only 20$. I suppose I could look into VNC or something simliar for all my systems that do not have heads(monitors).

Pretty much what Tsumi said.
Thanks, and thank you too Tsumi
The main thought I have is the IBM M1015 is a software RAID card. As such it will use your system's CPU and RAM to do all of the parity calculations and such. Thus you might see a slight performance hit if you choose to run the RAID array in that PC.

I thought you could flash the m1015 to be an LSI hardware raid controller, or flash it for pass through for software raid. hmm no where near ready to make that decision yet, waiting for Q3 2012 for prices to drop a bit.

And yes the IB delay is for the Laptop CPUs, not desktop. Desktop is still on track for an April release.

Hmm, time to do some research on IB 22nm's and see what the benfits are over SB. I think one is the quad channel memory? or 8 dimm slots? and more Bandwidth over all.

Voted to buy now, but I would drop the 560 and wait for the AMD 78xx boards to come out in the next few weeks

I say wait. You have a slightly better system than me and I can manage to wait.

Also, Windows 8 is out soon isn't it? Could he get a student copy? Just a thought.

IB will have dual-channel memory. It will not have quad-channel; LGA1155 does not support quad-channel. You're thinking of SB-E/LGA2011.

The benefits of IB is lower power consumption, stronger IGP, and possibly higher overclocking.

Looks like the ivy bridge may be A week from This Friday?

Looks like the Core i5-3570K is the new SB 2500k. And if leaks are true it should be about the same price point.

So that means Core i7-3770K is the new SB 2700k

hmm...

IB has no set release date. Expectations are mid to late April.

still pure speculation at this point, imho. In any case, wait vs upgrade depends on personal preferences: can you really wait? or want to upgrade right away? because the wait might last longer than you expect right now ;)

I thought you could flash the m1015 to be an LSI hardware raid controller, or flash it for pass through for software raid. hmm no where near ready to make that decision yet, waiting for Q3 2012 for prices to drop a bit.
It can't be never be a hardware RAID controller no matter what firmware you use: There's no cache memory. No cache memory = Not a hardware RAID controller.

But yeah you can flash it so that it does pass-through for software RAID. But you're using Windows. Windows software RAID has been traditional relatively poor both in performance and reliability.

PCI-e
It can't be never be a hardware RAID controller no matter what firmware you use: There's no cache memory. No cache memory = Not a hardware RAID controller.

But yeah you can flash it so that it does pass-through for software RAID. But you're using Windows. Windows software RAID has been traditional relatively poor both in performance and reliability.

So a different raid card would be needed if I decide to put a raid array in this machine.

So an update

Today I ordered everything I wanted except
Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Video Card

I figure since we are so close to new hardware I should wait and see what we get before I purchase. I may do some modding and a build log, trying to come up with ideas for what to do with the shiny inside of the lian li case. debating how to paint it, Spray cans, air compressor and paint gun, or send it off for powder coating...

case with doors... I owned an antec p182 before i move my system to my lian li A77F

I don't keep up system up when I'm not using it so everytime when i wanted to use my computer i had to open the p182 door and press the power button. I don't use my DVD rom drive as often. Open a door to press one button. IT was a pain for me. SO i will never buy a door case again

another pro about the A77F is the ventilation in the front, later if you ever decided to go water you can put a 3x120mm in there

which I'm going to do when ivy bridge comes

i thought the door might give the case a clean look, I was SO wrong

just my 2 cents :/

Get the regular 1gb 560TI. The 2gb will not benefit you with just 1080p, especially with only a single card.

A few games I play push over 1GB of video RAM according to GPUZ and EVGA Precession at 1680x1050.

ArmA 2 - 1180 MB or so
BF3 - 1261 MB or so
Crysis 2 High Res Textures - don't recall
Rise of Flight - right around 1056 MB

I am sure at a higher resolution 1GB will be limiting.

If you can wait the month, it seems worth it to see if desktop IB hits at the end of March and the Keplar parts drop. If nothing else this will lower pricing on the 2500k and dramatically lower video card pricing. In any case you should definitely be grabbing a core 448 over the 2gb ti.

As far as PSU, the HX series is too expensive given its age. I can only recommend Seasonic x series or Corsair AX series (they're the same internally) in the wattage range you are looking at.

Do it like I did, get a sandy bridge, the expected performance increase in ivy bridge is likely to not exceed 7% in most applications.

If you can wait the month, it seems worth it to see if desktop IB hits at the end of March and the Keplar parts drop. If nothing else this will lower pricing on the 2500k and dramatically lower video card pricing. In any case you should definitely be grabbing a core 448 over the 2gb ti.

As far as PSU, the HX series is too expensive given its age. I can only recommend Seasonic x series or Corsair AX series (they're the same internally) in the wattage range you are looking at.

I was thinking the same thing, Since I can wait becuase my current system still works 2 months should not kill me. I ordered the pieces I am not going to change and will probably mod them a bit to kill time for the two months. Worse that happens is I get what I wanted in 2 months for a cheaper price.

I was looking at the AX and HX and other than age and the AX being gold certified I think I will still be happy with the HX.

Thanks for the feed back

case with doors... I owned an antec p182 before i move my system to my lian li A77F

I don't keep up system up when I'm not using it so everytime when i wanted to use my computer i had to open the p182 door and press the power button. I don't use my DVD rom drive as often. Open a door to press one button. IT was a pain for me. SO i will never buy a door case again

another pro about the A77F is the ventilation in the front, later if you ever decided to go water you can put a 3x120mm in there

which I'm going to do when ivy bridge comes

i thought the door might give the case a clean look, I was SO wrong

just my 2 cents :/

I have the p182 now too, and I normally leave the door closed. If I find I need more air flow I may mod the top of the case to accommodate more fans. What I really liked about this case is it has clean sharp lines.

Not all cases have the power button hidden by the door. My Cosmos 1000 would be an example of that.

The HX series are still a fine PSU, and when they are on sale, they actually go for a good price. A few weeks ago had the HX850 at $130 I believe after rebates. The Seasonic X750 when it goes on sale for $120 is a really good price. It does that about once a month based on past trends.

Efficiency is more of a marketing gimmick than a useful feature to have. Don't put too much emphasis on the 80+ rating.

@balance101 unless you plan on running tri-fire, don't get that 1000 watt. In fact, unless you're going to run crossfire, don't even get an 850 watt. Your system only needs 550 watts.

Back