Smite: Official Launch

MrAgmoore

[H]ard|Gawd
The official launch is on the 25th of March. It takes a couple of hours to download the 5Gb from the server, so I highly recommend doing that before the official launch.

While downloading, you can watch the beginner videos:

http://www2.hirezstudios.com/smite/nav/game-info/getting-started

After playing a few games, you will want to learn how to maximize damage and how items work ( which is completely glossed over in the videos ):

SMITE - Beginner's Guide - Part 3 - Understanding The Items

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWY0MmDBDk

The interface has changed since the video, so I wrote out some instructions:

To get an overview of the God, click on the lightning bolt symbol. Click the portrait of the God that you like, say Aphrodite. Click: Overview or Items or Lore.

If you want to change the auto item build, head to near the top of the screen, click on the scroll ( Guides ). You will ( most likely ) be looking at detailed information for a God that you have no interest in seeing, so next to the God's name, click on the portrait and change it to the God that you are interested in. After you configure your item auto build, remember to click "Save Profile" and check the box that reads: Use for Auto Level. If you don't check the box, the game will just use the default build list. Also, when you are in a team, picking your character, after you lock in your character, remember to check the box that reads, "Auto Level Items".

Smite is a great game. Its a MOBA kind of like LoL or DotA. But its more of a 3rd person view instead of the top down / isometric point of view. It feels more like a shooter style game than a regular MOBA too.

I love Smite. Been playing for a long time now. Its one of the great FREE games on the market. Sure, you can buy the god pack for $30 and its a bargain. Most games are $60 and this is only $30. But even if you don't, there are at minimum 10 free gods at all times. 5 free when you sign up plus 5 more free that rotate about every 2 to 3 weeks or so. The great news? They give you top tier gods for free. This isn't a pay-to-win scheme .... and I've fallen prey to those before. I hate them.

They legit give you top tier gods to play with. You can play the game completely free forever, using the in-game currency (favor) to permanently unlock gods as you go if you want. There are a few that are super cheap, so you'll be at 14 gods in no time.

If you go the free route, I don't necessarily recommend jumping right into League (or Ranked) matches, cause you'll want to play and learn all of the gods in order to be competitive. It is possible to do it free, but it does hamstring you if you aren't familiar with your teammates or opponents gods.

Its a MOBA with MOBA strategies, but I can't recommend it strong enough. I don't like the top-down feel of LoL or the new Heros of the Storm. I don't like the point-and-click aspect. I've got Diablo for that. This is more of a skill-shot, aim-and-fire type game. Much more engaging. More exciting, I find. More fun.

Go play Smite. The crowd is still MOBA type crowd, and there are aresholes everywhere, but its not as bad as some games. Better than most, I'd say.

I describe SMITE like this. "Remember how much fun you used to have in WoW's smaller BG's? It's kind of like that but without all the other bs of WoW." lol I love the game. The combat feels so natural. And Dat Freya doe ;)

PS: If anyone wants to find me in game, its the same in-game-name as I use here. I'm not the worlds greatest player, but I am Silver league currently. Not great, but not #1 trashcan NA either. :)

This is a very fun game. I think I will install and play it again. Thanks OP.

No good. Just crap.

MOBAs take a while to get into. I didn't like the game on first blush. I compared it to "Forge" ( first person PVP, which I also didn't like at first ) and DOTA 2, a MOBA (which I also didn't like at first) and I had to remind myself that I had to find a character, with a style of play, that matches what interests me. Once you find the character that you like, you have to customize the item build.

I only understood where the developers were going when I used Thor - he can fly up into the sky and pick a strike point on the ground to nuke.

If you don't like Twitch or hyperkinetic games, you probably won't like this game. I found out about it through [H] and an e-sport gaming group that I am in.

SMITE - Top 5 Plays #41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-tdpOvlEg

There are different classes and my favourite so far is "Assassin". I have God level mastery of level V with Thor. Playing a "Hunter" with Neith is "chill mode" for me ( Mastery I ).

The auto item build list is generic to the point of:

Hit Point damage template
Magic Power damage template

That's why you need to tailor the build.

I dropped $35 into unlocking all the Gods and $100 for the artwork skins. These guys and girls know how to make a game:

SMITE Road to Release - Dev Diary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7r0uCbuLHo

I wanted to like this game, coming from League and HoN, but for some reason some things always put me off of it.

Like the lack of reporting afkers/quitters, the inability to remake (which League doesn't have, years after HoN did it), etc.

Maybe it was my luck but the games I played usually had afkers/leavers and it really turned me off of the game since I knew there was nothing place to stop them or punish them for doing it (at least that I knew of at the time).

what lol this is just launching now? All its hype is gone. This is kinda the problem with these awfully long betas.

Oh and if anyone is thinking about getting into this but on the edge, consider avoiding any HiRez game unless you love this franchise to death. HiRez basically just makes a game a certain way its already pretty much all set in stone before beta even begins and they stick with it, then drop it without a seconds care, oh except they control all the servers so no matter how you feel about the game you can do nothing about their terrible Atlanta servers and routing. Ask people from Global Assault/Tribes Ascend.

what lol this is just launching now? All its hype is gone. This is kinda the problem with these awfully long betas.

Oh and if anyone is thinking about getting into this but on the edge, consider avoiding any HiRez game unless you love this franchise to death. HiRez basically just makes a game a certain way its already pretty much all set in stone before beta even begins and they stick with it, then drop it without a seconds care, oh except they control all the servers so no matter how you feel about the game you can do nothing about their terrible Atlanta servers and routing. Ask people from Global Assault/Tribes Ascend.

Yup this.

Played many months ago in closed beta, was ok-ish, but hirez does a great job at chasing away people.

Summary : hirez has good game ideas, but absolutely horrendous execution.

I love playing games that are use Atlanta, GA servers as my latency is usually 19ms or less. I have issues connecting to anything further than Chicago. For example I think that Texas, Canadian, and West Coast servers are terrible for games. So it's all about where you are geographically as to whether the servers are "good" for you.

I don't like these type of games and never will. Plus what hi-Rez did to tribes ascend. I can never forgive! They lie a lot......

MOBAs take a while to get into. I didn't like the game on first blush. I compared it to "Forge" ( first person PVP, which I also didn't like at first ) and DOTA 2, a MOBA (which I also didn't like at first) and I had to remind myself that I had to find a character, with a style of play, that matches what interests me. Once you find the character that you like, you have to customize the item build.

I only understood where the developers were going when I used Thor - he can fly up into the sky and pick a strike point on the ground to nuke.

If you don't like Twitch or hyperkinetic games, you probably won't like this game. I found out about it through [H] and an e-sport gaming group that I am in.

SMITE - Top 5 Plays #41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-tdpOvlEg

There are different classes and my favourite so far is "Assassin". I have God level mastery of level V with Thor. Playing a "Hunter" with Neith is "chill mode" for me ( Mastery I ).

The auto item build list is generic to the point of:

Hit Point damage template
Magic Power damage template

That's why you need to tailor the build.

I dropped $35 into unlocking all the Gods and $100 for the artwork skins. These guys and girls know how to make a game:

SMITE Road to Release - Dev Diary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7r0uCbuLHo

I have been regularly playing since the start of the beta almost 2 years ago. It's a great game. Don't be too quick to judge it, at least give it a tiny chance.

My IGN is Icewind, so add me if you want someone to play with. I mostly play Assault now days, but I'll play anywhere, and with whomever you need.

I wanted to like this game, coming from League and HoN, but for some reason some things always put me off of it.

Like the lack of reporting afkers/quitters, the inability to remake (which League doesn't have, years after HoN did it), etc.

Maybe it was my luck but the games I played usually had afkers/leavers and it really turned me off of the game since I knew there was nothing place to stop them or punish them for doing it (at least that I knew of at the time).

All of this has been in the game for the last year since I started playing.

@rudy Smite is being run vastly different than their previous titles. If you have been playing the game the last year they have done great promotions, charity fundraisers, community tournaments and much more. That and they don't nickle and dime you. You can buy almost everything with game time. There is no pay 2 win. The option to buy all current and future gods for the $30 dollar price tag is a steal as well. They add a minimum of one a month. The HYPE? It is still alive and well. HiRez put up 100k for their launch tournament and the community put up another 100k through exclusive tournament team icons and god skins. In my opinion the community is healthy and alive.

Smite is a cross between WoW arenas/bg's and a moba. The direct control of your attacks and skill shots is a thrill. A very different twist on the moba genre which I had stopped playing until I found Smite. This is a much improved and polished game from the early beta.

with how fast they destroyed tribes I wouldnt touch this.

That's so ignorant. Please no one listen to this. Seriously. God forbid a company isnt perfect in the past, makes a mistake, and can't learn from it. Furthermore, Smite has been around nearly just as long and it's continued to get better. It's F2P anyways, so what the fuck is the harm in playing? Why turn people away when you haven't played a second of the game? :rolleyes: Hirez has been completely transparent the entire time, had live streams with Bart and other dev's showing new content, and actually listened to what the players want. They've been releasing new gods, updating, etc. literally every two weeks for the past almost 2 years (closed beta release). The only thing that's going to ruin the game is people like this.

I enjoyed this 10x more than LoL. Smite has a much more mature and helpful crowd.

What part of LoL crowd's "OMG just uninstall and kill yourself" attitude toward newcomers is unhelpful?

Though I haven't played it for a very, very time (since early Beta), Smite is certainly one of the better MOBAs experiences I've had. It was fun, different than LoL/DOTA etc... style, and the community wasn't the load of feces that MOBAs typically attracted. Perhaps this has to do with the "right in the action" close follow 3rd person perspective? Thanks for reminding me to dig up my old account - I have all the gods themselves unlocked (as an aside, its a pretty comprehensive pantheon by the way - I like how it is more than just those that most know off the top of their head from popular myth)

Oh, I'm not sure if these are still valid, but if anyone is going to sign up and give it a try, this referral doodad used to start you off with some extra something, as well as giving me a point towards unlocking some rewards somewhere down the line if you keep playing the game - https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/default.aspx?referral=5777&utm_campaign=email . Not sure if it still helps, but if you were going to sign up anyhow, I'd appreciate it. I remember that the referral bonuses for Global Agenda were pretty significant ( honestly, I thought that game had a HUGE amount of potential. Its a pity the concentrated on Tribes and allowed it to wither on the vine. It could have one-upped Planetside, the way things were going back in 2009 etc... and it had a very reasonable pricing scheme).

Edit: Wow, I haven't run the patcher since version 0.1.xxx!

People who are hating on HiRez because of Global Agenda and Tribes are not justified in their opinions in THIS instance. HiRez has approached SMITE different. They have official/unofficial community streamers. They talk about patch notes/demo them every tuesday. They do promotions constantly. Fundraising. Community invites to the offices. The weekly tournaments with both US/EU. Big name teams are now involved such as Dignitas, COG, TSM, Cloud 9, Team Coast. I think i'm missing a few.

Take the time to try it. Don't listen to the negative comments that are based upon past performance of HiRez. My name is Amaroth if you want to add me to your friends list in game.

They will repeat what they did to tribes but to smite. You'll see. And we are justified. When to do it to smite are you going to say the same thing. That the haters are not justified!

They will repeat what they did to tribes but to smite. You'll see. And we are justified. When to do it to smite are you going to say the same thing. That the haters are not justified!

But your agenda is to hurt Hirez, and a great game and its players which you haven't even played because they made a mistake in the past. How is that fair? How are you helping in any way? They have done everything better with Smite then they did with Tribes. Nearly two years of constant improvement isn't enough? We all know it has to come to an end at some point but being immature and butt hurt is once again, not fair when you haven't played it.

I played the beta a while back and thought it was pretty fun. I might have to give it another go now that its officially released.

People who are hating on HiRez because of Global Agenda and Tribes are not justified in their opinions in THIS instance. HiRez has approached SMITE different. They have official/unofficial community streamers. They talk about patch notes/demo them every tuesday. They do promotions constantly. Fundraising. Community invites to the offices. The weekly tournaments with both US/EU. Big name teams are now involved such as Dignitas, COG, TSM, Cloud 9, Team Coast. I think i'm missing a few.

Take the time to try it. Don't listen to the negative comments that are based upon past performance of HiRez. My name is Amaroth if you want to add me to your friends list in game.

I am not sure how you are logically working this out in your head.

How HIRez is dealing with Smite is exactly the same as before. Do you actually know about their previous games?

Why are you saying they are doing things differently? You know they had forums for tribes and they closed them down to shut people up? Did you know they hired community activists for tribes and communicated nearly the all the time with the community about patches and so on until they moved to smite development and dropped all that too.

Right now right this instant there is ZERO communication with HiRez on Tribes which is less than 2 years old.

If HiRez actually changed wouldn't they at least put in some basic patching on tribes that fixes bugs that are as bad as making your weapons disappear?

HiRez does the same thing to every game they start out acting like they will do everything better than there last dropped game. They talk about how they have fixed all their problems and learned. But as soon as the big money dries up they completely shut down all support of any kind. And that can happen in 1 year flat. So if you play Smite whatever you pay, plan on it lasting only 1 year and wherever Hirez is patch wise and bug wise at that point that is exactly how your game will be left. And also know that whatever server problems and balance problems you have you will be completely at the mercy of HiRez who will make decisions about fixing it based solely on if they can do it for next to nothing cost wise.

I am not sure how you are logically working this out in your head.

How HIRez is dealing with Smite is exactly the same as before. Do you actually know about their previous games?

Why are you saying they are doing things differently? You know they had forums for tribes and they closed them down to shut people up? Did you know they hired community activists for tribes and communicated nearly the all the time with the community about patches and so on until they moved to smite development and dropped all that too.

Right now right this instant there is ZERO communication with HiRez on Tribes which is less than 2 years old.

If HiRez actually changed wouldn't they at least put in some basic patching on tribes that fixes bugs that are as bad as making your weapons disappear?

HiRez does the same thing to every game they start out acting like they will do everything better than there last dropped game. They talk about how they have fixed all their problems and learned. But as soon as the big money dries up they completely shut down all support of any kind. And that can happen in 1 year flat. So if you play Smite whatever you pay, plan on it lasting only 1 year and wherever Hirez is patch wise and bug wise at that point that is exactly how your game will be left. And also know that whatever server problems and balance problems you have you will be completely at the mercy of HiRez who will make decisions about fixing it based solely on if they can do it for next to nothing cost wise.

Have you played smite? Have you spoke with the devs? They talk to people every day. They talk to people via reddit and their streams. They have a 24hr stream schedule with multiple channels. Been that way for a year. Oh wait? It should be dead by then because it has been alive for 2 years. They are also relaunching their forums at launch. Everything you have said I can counter with actual fact. I don't disagree about the shit bowl Tribes and Global Agenda was. If you were actually playing the game or semi exposed to the game and the community you wouldn't be saying this stuff.

Its w/e though. I enjoy the community. Big teams have been showing up for the last 6 months. The 2k a week 1st prize is fun to watch people play for every week and the 200k launch event is going to be great. I think the community is expecting it to be 250k by opening day Friday.

They talked to people every day in Tribes too, and probably GA before that based on what the GA people say.

Here is what is not ignorant. There are 2 recent games and years of evidence that have shown us what HiRez will not do, but people like you say that reasonably people should throw solid experience and truth to the wind on the off chance that HiRez really changed this time, a profit driven company with a track record of lying. Yes that sounds really smart lol.

I hope some of those smite teams enjoy that money, because some of those winnings are winnings that were promised to tribes players and AFAIK never paid out.

I dot not need to play smite to know very well what GA people told me HiRez would do and I ignored because the tribes franchise was too tempting. But in the end they were right and now tribes people are relaying it to you. In fact I will not play smite out of pure principle of the matter. If Hirez wants any tribes players to touch smite then they can come back and fix the less than 2 year old game that has been completely abandoned then we will think about it. lol I don't even think COD games get dropped that fast.

OH and by free you guys mean pay 2 win.

OH and by free you guys mean pay 2 win.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You can't buy anything in Smite other than Gods, voice packs, and skins. There's no enhancements or anything. You can get most everything minus a few exclusives skins and voice packs that do cost money. Otherwise, absolutely %100 F2P. This isn't Tribes where you can buy increased XP rates and better guns and enhancements.

They have done multiple tournaments and everyone's gotten paid, and I have never ever heard that about GA or TA. Please show me factual evidence.

What happens if you don't buy a god? Are you stuck using rotational gods?

I would love to show you all the proof in the world about HiRez issues but oh wait THEY DELETED THE ENTIRE FUCKING FORUM WITH NEARLY 2 YEARS OF POSTS. Did they leave it there for reference with its hundreds of informative threads on everything from map design to tactics to game design? No they deleted it and why do you think they would do that? Of course to erase evidence of their behavior so that smite players wouldn't see what they are buying into.

Do you seriously think that at the RELEASE of their new game they are going to be stupid enough to not pay or show their true self?

Did you actually read my post? I said I didn't like the type of game smite is. I'm a shooter. :rolleyes:

But your agenda is to hurt Hirez, and a great game and its players which you haven't even played because they made a mistake in the past. How is that fair? How are you helping in any way? They have done everything better with Smite then they did with Tribes. Nearly two years of constant improvement isn't enough? We all know it has to come to an end at some point but being immature and butt hurt is once again, not fair when you haven't played it.

What happens if you don't buy a god? Are you stuck using rotational gods?

I would love to show you all the proof in the world about HiRez issues but oh wait THEY DELETED THE ENTIRE FUCKING FORUM WITH NEARLY 2 YEARS OF POSTS. Did they leave it there for reference with its hundreds of informative threads on everything from map design to tactics to game design? No they deleted it and why do you think they would do that? Of course to erase evidence of their behavior so that smite players wouldn't see what they are buying into.

Do you seriously think that at the RELEASE of their new game they are going to be stupid enough to not pay or show their true self?

Use rotational gods and use the favor you earn to buy new gods. It isn't pay 2 win. Your clearly carry a grudge and are upset over Tribes. I feel for ya. I was a big tribes guy. However I never played the HiRez version because I knew it wasn't what I wanted. I don't think we are gonna make any head wind in this discussion. You are bent on what you "think,know" HiRez is going to do. I'm merely stating fact on the current state of the game and the past year of development.

So if the god you are good at or need is not owned you are screwed IE Pay 2 Win. Just like all almost any F2P game there is an arm twist to get you to pay or play tons of hours in order to get what you need.

People said all the same shit about each previous game, GA and Tribes, it will get better. But they stopped saying that about a year after release when development pretty much ceased.

So if the god you are good at or need is not owned you are screwed IE Pay 2 Win. Just like all almost any F2P game there is an arm twist to get you to pay or play tons of hours in order to get what you need.

People said all the same shit about each previous game, GA and Tribes, it will get better. But they stopped saying that about a year after release when development pretty much ceased.

How on earth is that pay to win?

The hero choices rotate, you can buy any hero with currency you own while playing instead of real money.

Heroes do not give an "Advantage," it's about player skill with said heroes, just like League of legends.

In no way is it pay to win......

Pay to win is when you can buy things that give you an advantage over someone else.

I see Hi Rez as a studio that supports what they can make money off of. If a game isn't making them money, then they scrap it. Really in a F2P world since you never buy the game, you have to go into these things with the attitude that the fun may end at any moment in time. If you think spending money in Farmville is stupid, then doing so here is just as dumb. If you don't mind throwing the developer some cash to support them, then by all means do so as it's what the business model is based on.

How on earth is that pay to win?

The hero choices rotate, you can buy any hero with currency you own while playing instead of real money.

Heroes do not give an "Advantage," it's about player skill with said heroes, just like League of legends.

In no way is it pay to win......

Pay to win is when you can buy things that give you an advantage over someone else.

There are multi page forum posts on this issue, you can try to disguise it a million ways which is what all P2W games do but at the end most of us know what's really going on.

Same arguments in GA and TA BTW. you really cant teach hirez a new trick. They are a flavor of the month development studio, just wait till your month is over you will see.

There are multi page forum posts on this issue, you can try to disguise it a million ways which is what all P2W games do but at the end most of us know what's really going on.

Same arguments in GA and TA BTW. you really cant teach hirez a new trick. They are a flavor of the month development studio, just wait till your month is over you will see.

Dude. No.

NO.

Once again, Nooooooo.

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN BUY OTHER THAN CHARACTERS, SKINS, AND VOICE PACKS. THERE IS ZERO P2W ITEMS.

If having Poseidon wear a ducky intertube, flippers, and attacking with a pool noodle while jumping in a circle and yelling "I am the greatest" in a special voice is an unfair advantage then fine.

Gods are how you play, choosing the right god for your team and depending on the other team is important. If you don't own the right god, you can't win against an equally skilled player who has the right god. You can buy gods with money therefore P2W

Seriously do yourself a favor and install tribes ascend and see how blatantly reused the smite system and UI is.

Back