SME Server for E-mail, DYNDNS for MX Host??

lundrog

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to run SME Server for home E-mail.

But my ISP blocks mail ports.

I have a wrt54G for gateway and a 2003 dns box.

So, how can I change my sme server to use different ports, froward them with DYNDNS, and then have my router forward the port?

I need the web mail to work this way also.

Thanks

I think you may find your emails will be blocked my most webmail providers yahoo hotmail etc, as you are from a dyndns domain and you do not have valid reverse dns to that domain. Thanks to all the spammers out there you are kind of stuck.

So, I could go to godaddy, and grab any domain name, and then it would work,

Now, how do I change the port problem?

So, I could go to godaddy, and grab any domain name, and then it would work,

Now, how do I change the port problem?

It still wont work, becuase you wont have the correct reverse dns, Your mail will not be accepted by many webmail providers.

And this is because my domain name wouldn't match my local domain ,or because I have a cable connection?

Please Explain.

Still new to this mail stuff.

Find out your external ip address here
Resolve it to a domain name here

Your isps dhcp server gives out your domain name to your modem, that is what dns resolves it to. Say if you bought the domain hello.com from godaddy, and send an email from [email protected] to [email protected], hotmail would automaticly do a reverse dns check on the domain, to find a fqdn from your isp, not hello.com so the mail would be dropped.

Your isp will not allow you to change this domain name on a home service, so you are pretty much stuck i think.

As you can see in the following picture, my godaddy domain name resolves fine to my ip address

forward.jpg

But if i try to reverse the dns, and find a domain from my ip address, what hotmail etc will try to do, they get this

reverse.jpg

For email to send correctly, your ip needs to resolve to the domain name you sent the email from, and the domain name needs to resolve to the ip, if you see what i mean. This is somthing that you will not be able to do on a home connection, maybe if you can get a static ip MAYBE you could talk your isp into setting your fqdn, but i highly doubt it.

As ring.of.steel said, you're not going to be able to do this from a home connection. On my mail server at work we block all dynamic IPs and most other places do this as well. This is done because of spammers. Unless you can co-locate a server on a static IP with a reverse, it's not going to be worth it to setup an mail server.

Also, since port 25(SMTP) is blocked, you won't be able to receive any inbound email on that port anyways.

As ring.of.steel said, you're not going to be able to do this from a home connection. On my mail server at work we block all dynamic IPs and most other places do this as well. This is done because of spammers. Unless you can co-locate a server on a static IP with a reverse, it's not going to be worth it to setup an mail server.

Also, since port 25(SMTP) is blocked, you won't be able to receive any inbound email on that port anyways.

Pretty much closes the bag about what is needed, i have been trying to get my head round this for months, as all i want to do is send emails via php.

Also, as mail servers need 100% uptime to actually send and recive the email, a hosted solution is the only option.

So, you would have to buy a business connection form a cable or dsl company in order to do this.

Yes basically, you would have to make sure your isp would set up reverse dns on your account.

Back