Smart Alternitives for Office

coldgold111

Weaksauce
Hi I'm in need of a Word replacement and an Excel replacement... any ideas... oh by the way stuff that works in linux, mac and windows would be more than helpful (2 boxes and a macbook pro)

I'd have to agree.
It's what I use for most of my schoolwork and it works great. I just know I'm not using it to its full potential, which I'd like to learn how. It can be a little quirky at first if you come from heavy MS Office use, but it works great.

Anyone know of any good OO guide sites or books? For example, I know OO can store all your references in a database to make citation very easy, I just don't know how to use it. Also, is it possible to format the way it enters citations and creates your bibliography?

Another vote for OpenOffice. It works, has an easy to use interface, and the support for ODF makes it a good choice for saving files for future access.

Anyone know of any good OO guide sites or books? For example, I know OO can store all your references in a database to make citation very easy, I just don't know how to use it. Also, is it possible to format the way it enters citations and creates your bibliography?

I don't know about any specific books for it, but I would check out Barnes and Nobles...they have tons of awesome books on stuff like this. I was in one around Christmas browsing for gift ideas and I had to resist the urge to buy up a bunch for myself.

I do have to say that the forums over there at OpenOffice.org are about the best forums I have ever come accross for user support of something like OpenOffice.org. You ask a question, you don't get any BS about searching or RTM, but just genuine help. And it almost seems they can majically tell just how much hand holding you need to get you along :D

Back