• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

smallest x86 tablet with (real) SSD

bwang

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
1,167
I'm looking for a small tablet with an SSD good for at least 350MB/sec write for a machine vision recording application; most of the 8"-ers use eMMC. Anyone know of such a beast?
 
The Surface pro series of tables should have something like that, not 100% sure but I recall seeing that it's got either mSATA or m.2 cards. Not user upgradeable though as it requires removal of the screen to get to it.

I know both Dell Venue 11 Pro series of tablets do. They've got m.2 cards in them, "both" being the Core M and i5 versions. (the Core M is rather less upgradable though, possible-ish but not easy)
 
Does it have to be a tablet? How about the new Intel Broadwell NUCs with m.2 SSD?
 
I don't think Bay Trail, not the 2 W variety in x86 small x86 tablets even support SSDs.
 
The Surface pro series of tables should have something like that, not 100% sure but I recall seeing that it's got either mSATA or m.2 cards. Not user upgradeable though as it requires removal of the screen to get to it.

I think virutally all Core series tablets use mSATA drives, including the Surface Pro line.
 
Bay Trail-T (and also the phone version) Atom doesn't support SATA, but the upcoming Cherry Trail supports both eMMC and SATA.

Asking for at least 350MB/s (sustained) write is a tall order, even for most SATA-based Haswell tablets. Either compress the data before writing (like lightweight differential compression), or go with a high end interface like M.2 or other type of PCIe SSD. The latter option seriously restricts your choices.
 
Back
Top