smallest x86 tablet with (real) SSD

bwang

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a small tablet with an SSD good for at least 350MB/sec write for a machine vision recording application; most of the 8"-ers use eMMC. Anyone know of such a beast?

The Surface pro series of tables should have something like that, not 100% sure but I recall seeing that it's got either mSATA or m.2 cards. Not user upgradeable though as it requires removal of the screen to get to it.

I know both Dell Venue 11 Pro series of tablets do. They've got m.2 cards in them, "both" being the Core M and i5 versions. (the Core M is rather less upgradable though, possible-ish but not easy)

Does it have to be a tablet? How about the new Intel Broadwell NUCs with m.2 SSD?

I don't think Bay Trail, not the 2 W variety in x86 small x86 tablets even support SSDs.

The Surface pro series of tables should have something like that, not 100% sure but I recall seeing that it's got either mSATA or m.2 cards. Not user upgradeable though as it requires removal of the screen to get to it.

I think virutally all Core series tablets use mSATA drives, including the Surface Pro line.

Bay Trail-T (and also the phone version) Atom doesn't support SATA, but the upcoming Cherry Trail supports both eMMC and SATA.

Asking for at least 350MB/s (sustained) write is a tall order, even for most SATA-based Haswell tablets. Either compress the data before writing (like lightweight differential compression), or go with a high end interface like M.2 or other type of PCIe SSD. The latter option seriously restricts your choices.

Back