smallest cheapest SFF to run Team Fortress 2

sleepkyng

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,
I travel a lot for my job and use a small netbook for the day to day internet stuff,
but i'd like to be able to bring a real work station with me wherever I go.
I don't have a budget for something like a mac book pro or high end gaming laptop but figured maybe a SFF would be a viable alternative?
I've been looking at older model Shuttles FS here and on anandtech, but was wondering if they have the power to run a decent video card,
I primarily only play steam games, so that's the limit in terms of what I need to power,
thanks in advance,
sleepkyng

I'd say that most could handle a resonable 'mid-range' card like the Radeon 4850 or Geforce 9800GT/GTS250 which would be more than enough to power TF2 on anything up to a 30" monitor. You'd have to be a bit more specific in what model, but the shuttle PSUs are generally pretty good.

One thing to consider is building your own machine, particularly a combination of the Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard and either the Silverstone SG05 or Lian-Li Q7 case. Both cases are actually slightly smaller than your average shuttle as well.

you dont give much of a reference of what youll be doing with your machine aside from tf2.. sooo

my machine now is an athlon 5000+be, 2gb ram, and a gts250.. it plays tf2 with flying colours at 1280x1024 with eyecandy with 8x aa and 8x af.. soo you could easily put the zotac board with an e5200 or something with a gts250 and 4gb ram in the smallest case you could cram it in.. and carry it around.. for prolly less than 600... if thats in your budget.. a general amount of dollars would be helpful

Please answer these questions so that we can help you better:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?

I max out V-Sync on my 24" monitor with 8X AA and 8x AF with my Shuttle P35, e7400, and 4850 sonic; I pretty much only play TF2 on the thing :D

Back